Tobii Eyex for Legacy and Mercenary

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
LordZeroZX
Ensign
Ensign

Post by LordZeroZX »

Is there a way to have Tobii eyex eye tracking controller control the head tracking in Evochron Legacy and maybe even Mercenary?

Edit: I figured out a work around to have it work in the game but I am not able to put view controls on the two axis.

[Edited on 2-4-2016 by LordZeroZX]
Delta99
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Delta99 »

Yeah, I would like to be able to set view controls to work via an Axis. Then we can definitely do this no problem.

For Vice's knowledge. EyeX will use a Virtual Joystick (vJoy) as in input for your eye movements. I see that my vJoy is recognized in game so as long as we can set up an axis for viewing we are good.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Interesting, if that's all it would take, it should be feasible to add support for mapping view control to two axis inputs. I'll look into it.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
viper691
Ensign
Ensign

Post by viper691 »

Wow! didnt know anything about the Tobi Eyex until i saw this, im picking one up as soon as they come in stock. I have been using and EDtracker wired and wireless versions for now but that looks awesome.
Delta99
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Delta99 »

viper691 wrote:Wow! didnt know anything about the Tobi Eyex until i saw this, im picking one up as soon as they come in stock. I have been using and EDtracker wired and wireless versions for now but that looks awesome.
The only problem with EyeX is that they only officially support a very small number of games and so far they have been "lame" in allowing one to set a "standard" config that will just work with any game. For some reason they want to detect what game you are running when it isn't really necessary.

I've got a "hacked" solution that allows one to get EyeX to interface to vJoy no matter what game is running. So if the game can map vJoy inputs its all good.

Testing something extremely interesting with Evochron right now :)
LordZeroZX
Ensign
Ensign

Post by LordZeroZX »

The work around is just launching a game that the tobii eyex supports. That will enable the input feed to vjoy. Then all you have to do is minimize the game and run the game you want it to work on and map the 2 vjoy axis.
Delta99
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Delta99 »

I have a better one for you on this. Rather than running a full game that can take up a ton of memory etc. even when its just sitting in the background or minimized you can copy notepad.exe and rename it to EliteDangerous64.exe for example (any game EXE that EyeX is looking for).

Then EyeX will output to vJoy and you can map the vJoy axis.

Oh, the other thing is that vJoy is a bit of an EyeX cludge to get games to work that don't support FreeTrack (or is it OpenTrack, I can never remember). Otherwise games would work a lot better and wouldn't need to rely on vJoy. Like Arma3 for example. It supports FreeTrack so works with EyeX and without the cludgy vJoy.

Also, games like The Division I believe support EyeX natively so they will be able to do even more with it from what I understand.

Vice, are you going to make the announcement on this ;) It will make a lot of EyeX people really happy!!!
From post: 185510, Topic: tid=12245, author=LordZeroZX wrote:The work around is just launching a game that the tobii eyex supports. That will enable the input feed to vjoy. Then all you have to do is minimize the game and run the game you want it to work on and map the 2 vjoy axis.
[Edited on 2-18-2016 by Delta99]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Support for horizontal and vertical view control via axis inputs is being added for the next update. I think there are some who also already use FreeTrack with the game also for TrackIR type head control... it somehow hooks into the TrackIR input system that the game has native support for.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Delta99
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Delta99 »

Yeah, I haven't been able to get EyeX "hacked" to work with any FreeTrack games other than the ones they officially support. They are probably hooking into it somehow differently but not sure. I've been in contact with their support and have asked that they open things up to that people with some knowledge can get other games working easily but they seem to be reluctant to do it. They seem to want to hand hold people and provide their own interface but unless they start supporting more games soon they won't get much traction.
LordZeroZX
Ensign
Ensign

Post by LordZeroZX »

Delta99 wrote:I have a better one for you on this. Rather than running a full game that can take up a ton of memory etc. even when its just sitting in the background or minimized you can copy notepad.exe and rename it to EliteDangerous64.exe for example (any game EXE that EyeX is looking for).
Oh, cool. I didn't know you could do that. Thanks :)

Edit: doesn't seem to work. Every time I run the renamed notepad copy I get an error from eyex infinite screen.

[Edited on 2-18-2016 by LordZeroZX]
Radikal
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Radikal »

EyeX and Tir4Fun might be a good combination.
I really need to get a camera.... :(
Delta99
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Delta99 »

Whats the error from EyeX Infinite Screen?
LordZeroZX wrote: Oh, cool. I didn't know you could do that. Thanks :)

Edit: doesn't seem to work. Every time I run the renamed notepad copy I get an error from eyex infinite screen.

[Edited on 2-18-2016 by LordZeroZX]
Delta99
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Delta99 »

Radikal wrote:EyeX and Tir4Fun might be a good combination.
I really need to get a camera.... :(
I don't see why you'd need Tir4Fun if you have EyeX. Plus I think the FacetrackNOIR (which I believe Tir4Fun is part of) messes with EyeX. At least people that were having problems with EyeX were told to uninstall FacetrackNOIR
LordZeroZX
Ensign
Ensign

Post by LordZeroZX »

Delta99 wrote:Whats the error from EyeX Infinite Screen?
One of the errors is "Error: Process with an id of 33028 is not running." and the id nunber keeps changing each time this error pops up. The second error is "Error: invalid uri: the uri is empty."
Delta99
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Delta99 »

Is your EyeX working at all with anything else? This doesn't sound related to trying to do this notepad trick.
LordZeroZX wrote:Whats the error from EyeX Infinite Screen?
LordZeroZX
Ensign
Ensign

Post by LordZeroZX »

Delta99 wrote:Is your EyeX working at all with anything else? This doesn't sound related to trying to do this notepad trick.
The error only shows up when I double click the renamed notepad. If I launch elite dangerous it works perfectly.
Delta99
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Delta99 »

LordZeroZX wrote:Is your EyeX working at all with anything else? This doesn't sound related to trying to do this notepad trick.
Strange but I guess stick with what works.
LordZeroZX
Ensign
Ensign

Post by LordZeroZX »

Delta99 wrote:Strange but I guess stick with what works.
Thanks for help :)
Delta99
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Delta99 »

Because of the amazing Vice here is tricking EyeX to work with Evochron - https://youtu.be/6lqT_8ZNaEU
LordZeroZX
Ensign
Ensign

Post by LordZeroZX »

With the new 1.2.0.419 update of the Tobii EyeX infinity screen extention, the eyex doesn't work with EL anymore. You can get it to work if you enable the 3D headtracking option but the vertical look is inverted and there is no way to fix that both in the game or in the Infinity screen extension software.
Delta99
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Delta99 »

Yeah, I haven't played Legacy in a while since they made the changes. In the EyeX developers infinite wisdom they decided to point to the exact .exe from the game directory so I am not certain how you can trick it by running a renamed notepad.exe. I suspect you can just change the game directory to where you have the renamed notepad.exe but I haven't tried this yet.

The developers for EyeX are just not too bright and want to tightly control what games EyeX will support. Its extremely narrow sighted in my opinion.