Favorite Sci Fi Ships

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
primedragoon
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Favorite Sci Fi Ships

Post by primedragoon »

As the title says, post your favorite ships of Sci Fi! I may know a lot of them by name, but with a picture would also be appreciated. As well as being curious, I'll probably also be using several of them as reference material to build some new ships for EM. I've already got a replacement model of the Talon in the works, but for the other ships I'd like to develop a system taking strong traits from popular ships and combining them into different configurations.

Think white star meets defiant, attempting to evoke the feeling you had the first time you saw those ships. That nettling sense of wonder and slow burning excitement that makes you want to catapult into the black. :)

Personal Favorite include the Defiant, Prometheus (Star Trek: Voyager), White Star (Babylon 5), Hammerhead Fighter (No idea where this one is from anymore.) I'm loving the Freelancer and the Constellation from Star Citizen, over on the Roberts Space Industries website. As well as Talyn, the Leviathan/Peacekeeper Gunship from the Farscape series.

Those are all in order. :)

[Edited on 4-28-2015 by primedragoon]

[Edited on 4-28-2015 by primedragoon]

[Edited on 4-29-2015 by Marvin]
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Favorite Sci Fi Ships

Post by DaveK »

My Chimera! :D

SciFi ships are harder to decide on - they each have their own idiosyncratic attractions . . .
Tardis, Fireball XLS are the earliest I can remember loving.
My Cobra III will always have a place in my heart! It got me to Elite!
The Hammerhead (Edit: from Space Above & Beyond) definitely is a major contender -
I'd fly one in EM but then again it's competing with the BSG Vipers especially with their ability
to turn on a sixpence (dime to you Yanks! :P) The Saratoga which hosted the Wild Cards was a
realistic space 'carrier' - more so than BSG, I think.

The Borg Cube(s) and the Moon sized mothership in Independence Day are bad-assed but sublime.
Serenity just because the story and the characters were superb and Serenity felt like a lived-in ship.
Nostromo because it was the first 'industrial' spaceship I'd seen and set the scene for gritty, real ships
rather than the floating hotels in Star Trek - the list could go on and on . . .

:)

[Edited on 28-4-2015 by DaveK]
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
PaulB
Commander
Commander

Favorite Sci Fi Ships

Post by PaulB »

I've always been crazy about flying saucers and this one from This Island Earth is my favorite.

SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Favorite Sci Fi Ships

Post by SeeJay »

Andromeda is a cool ship! ;)

[Edited on 2015-4-29 by SeeJay]
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Capt_Caveman
Commander
Commander

Favorite Sci Fi Ships

Post by Capt_Caveman »

still my all time favorite

[Edited on 4-29-2015 by Capt_Caveman]
Rubber Chicken
Captain
Captain

Favorite Sci Fi Ships

Post by Rubber Chicken »

For me, the Hornet, Scimitar, Raptor, and Rapier from Wing Commander 1 hold a special place. I remember the anticipation of buying the game at the local computer store, then having to wait all afternoon to get home and load it up. There was nothing like the excitement I felt after opening the package and finding a Tiger's Claw news bulletin AND the blueprint posters of the 4 ships I'd be flying. I had never seen that attention to detail and the experience of the game put into just the packaging before - let alone the actual game. It truly felt like I had been accepted into an elite space squadron! Then, when I did get to launch into the first mission with the hornet, I was hooked forever. :cool:

[Edited on 4-29-2015 by Rubber Chicken]
Support National Take Your Chicken to Work Day!
-------------------
100% Organic, free-range and zero-antibiotics. STILL the toughest bird in the Evoverse.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Favorite Sci Fi Ships

Post by Marvin »

:cool: My favorite ships, as seen on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUbGkSfaKrs

;) The only way to fly.

P.S. I think this is how one pilot in EM actually enters another pilot's gun turret.
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Favorite Sci Fi Ships

Post by Nigel_Strange »

It's hard to pick just one favorite, but one has always drawn me in when I played Starlancer: the Naginata.

Arden Sheehan
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Favorite Sci Fi Ships

Post by Arden Sheehan »

For me it's Talyn from Farscape. It's a Leviathan/Peacekeeper gunship hybrid. The scene when Talyn sacrifices himself to destroy the command carrier was priceless...
Walker
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Walker »

Wow hard one. so many!

Fighter Class - Hammerhead (Space Above and Beyond) And the simple yet effective Colonial Viper (Battlestar Galactica) and I can't leave out The ThunderFiighter (Buck Rogers)

MId Class - Millennium Falcon (Star Wars) And The Eagle (Space 1999)

Capital ship - Battlestar Galactica (Battlestar Galactica) And the Yamato Class Battleship "The Argo" (The Cartoon Star Blazers)
In Space, no one can hear you scream.
WALKER
Walker
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Walker »

Ran into this video while checking out ship images. It's very cool hope you all like it, its a bit off the topic but I think you all will understand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Loc7qX7FI
In Space, no one can hear you scream.
WALKER
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Glad to see the TOS Enterprise on that list ... but I must've fallen asleep during the vid ... how else could I have missed seeing UPC C-57D: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diRx8nRk6e0