Elite released on Steam

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
Minuteman
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Elite released on Steam

Post by Minuteman »

Now available on Steam! Hopefully I can snag it on one of those good steam sales one of these days!
Valander
Ensign
Ensign

Elite released on Steam

Post by Valander »

Be nice if they'd give those of us who bought it a Steam key, too... like Vice was kind enough to do. ;)
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Elite released on Steam

Post by DaveK »

From post: 175870, Topic: tid=11847, author=Valander wrote:Be nice if they'd give those of us who bought it a Steam key, too... like Vice was kind enough to do. ;)
Good luck with that one. I don't think that Vice's philosophy quite meshes with the big commercial enterprise that is Elite Dangerous. :P
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Elite released on Steam

Post by SeeJay »

They have no Demo, so it's a no go for me.
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Valander
Ensign
Ensign

Elite released on Steam

Post by Valander »

From post: 175977, Topic: tid=11847, author=SeeJay wrote:They have no Demo, so it's a no go for me.
Well, not 100% true.

There is a single player type thing that is the "Combat Training" which you can download and try out, which at least gives you a little feel of the flight mechanics. It's not widely known, but there was a reddit post with some links.

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments ... _training/

I grabbed it, and did wind up buying the game, but mainly because I'm an addict. ;)

That said, while Elite has some good things, I think I still prefer Evochron on the whole; just "feels" better to me, but that's purely a matter of taste.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Elite released on Steam

Post by Marvin »

:o According to what's at that link, you must be a pre-order person to DL the demo.
Valander
Ensign
Ensign

Elite released on Steam

Post by Valander »

From post: 176016, Topic: tid=11847, author=Marvin wrote::o According to what's at that link, you must be a pre-order person to DL the demo.
It lied. I downloaded it, and wasn't preorder. ;)

You can't do anything other than the combat training, though. I'm "fairly" certain that is the link I used when I grabbed it prior to actually buying it. If it doesn't work, let me know or refer more to the Grammatically Organized Online General Language Expert system. ;)

Edited to add:
http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/co ... rous_demo/ has a more recent post about it. I'm currently at work, and on a Mac, so I can't really verify the download link there, but that seems to be the one I grabbed before.

[Edited on 4-8-2015 by Valander]
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Elite released on Steam

Post by SeeJay »

Thanks. Tried that link but the program doesn't work. Might be that I have 64bit system!?

-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Valander
Ensign
Ensign

Elite released on Steam

Post by Valander »

From post: 176028, Topic: tid=11847, author=SeeJay wrote:Thanks. Tried that link but the program doesn't work. Might be that I have 64bit system!?
Hm, I'm running 64-bit, too, and I definitely had something installed that worked. Lemme see if I still have the file I downloaded itself; might not have a chance to dig for it until this weekend, tho. (I usually don't get on the big PC when I get home after staring at a computer all day...)

Honestly, the combat training thing doesn't give a "great" impression of the overall game, though. Sure, it gives you some idea of the flight mechanics and combat, but there's a lot more than that to the full game. I can't figure out why they've made it so hard to find a demo; it's like they don't want to sell games or something. ;)
Valander
Ensign
Ensign

Elite released on Steam

Post by Valander »

So did some digging, and what I downloaded was the "Standalone" link on this particular thread http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/ ... mbat_demo/

I have a Win7 64 bit system, and it worked. Like I said, though, it's pretty limited and really just the "combat demo," which is a couple of the tutorial things. It doesn't show what is, in my opinion, the better parts of the game.

Honestly, having played both, I can't say you really need to rush out and get it. It has its issues, and there are things I think Evochron just does better. If you have the extra cash and like to collect games, then sure, go for it, but I don't think you're necessarily missing out on something "special."
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Elite released on Steam

Post by Nigel_Strange »

The makers say that they are going to expand the game some, including planetary landings. No idea when that is going to happen though. Overall, it's pretty fun, though I think they over-emphasize the multi-player aspect of it, and underrate the single-player mode.

You can still play solo, but to do so, you must connect to their server as a client, which means if their server is not serving, then you are not playing. This has happened to me on many occasions. I think "solo" mode is just the same as MP mode, except somehow they filter out the other player craft in your area.

Also, they were shutting the servers down at 11:00 pm each night, local time. I don't know if they still do this or not, but it sort of demands that I only play the game at certain times in order to avoid being cut off from the server. Since it's really an MP game, you can't pause the game, really. I mean, you can enter the Options menu and so forth, but the game is still playing, even though you can't see what's going on. So, if you have to take a break, you hit pause, you come back and you could find that you're dead.

The tutorials, though, are truly offline single-player. Rather limited in themselves, they're best used to figure out your control scheme and how the ship handles.
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Elite released on Steam

Post by SeeJay »

Sounds like they don't want players/buyers.

Thanks for all the info. No go for me.

-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Minuteman
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Elite released on Steam

Post by Minuteman »

Honestly, I'm having a hard time seeing what Elite Dangerous does that Evochron doesn't. I've done quite a bit of research, and it seems to me that EM does everything that Elite does and a little more. I'm really not trying to slam Elite (it truly does look gorgeous), I just want to be sold on the gameplay before I drop 60 bones on it.
norc
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Elite released on Steam

Post by norc »

ED does support Oculus Rift out of the box.... thats something EM doesn't do.

ED is just more polished (higher resolution/more polys) and has a more fancy station system...
Retroverse Evochron Mercenary Server 24/7
Leaderboards ~ PVP ~ Kill Rights ~ Stats ~ Clan Friendly ~ Ranks ~ Multiplayer Profiles Only
http://www.retroverse.com.au/evochron/
CS-ACI-
Commander
Commander

Elite released on Steam

Post by CS-ACI- »

Hello,
From post: 178421, Topic: tid=11847, author=norc wrote:ED does support Oculus Rift out of the box.... thats something EM doesn't do.

ED is just more polished (higher resolution/more polys) and has a more fancy station system...
Means you also need a much higher end PC.

Graphics are not always the reason I play a game, sometimes the game engine itself is more important.

Steve
[align=center][SW] CS-ACI-
Desk jockey and experimental pilot.
[/align]
rajkox
Ensign
Ensign

Elite released on Steam

Post by rajkox »

Vice should be proud of his game!

I was playing Elite on C64, Elite on PC, Frontier, First Encounters. In my eyes releasing sequel of the Elite - First Encounters franchise without planetary landing is a big drawback.

After playing ED for a while, I realized that EM is the game I want to play....

Thank you Vice!
whipdiddywhip
Ensign
Ensign

Elite released on Steam

Post by whipdiddywhip »

i just literally tried this game today, the controls are horrid, feels like a jet plane flying in atmosphere, the yaw is painful

gonna take alot of time to get used to
Rubber Chicken
Captain
Captain

Elite released on Steam

Post by Rubber Chicken »

Broke down and bought a copy a few days ago...

+ The Eye candy is truly sweet. The scale and scope of the environment is epic. The supercruise flight and navigation is very well done.

= The interfaces are a bit clunky, but believable as what might be found if the ship was real. Flight with 'Flight assist: On" is definitely like jet planes in space.

- The radar is very cluttered when there's tons of traffic. There's no 'Padlock to target' and 'Instant view forward while maintaining padlock' functions for non-TrackIR users. - Either get one or be forced to look straight ahead while watching the aforementioned wonky radar, or wear out your thumb on the joystick hat adjusting the headlook manually and get disoriented in the process.

-- The 'Flight assist: Off' mode is truly just that. You MUST provide all counter input necessary to fly the course you desire, or spin completely out of control. I'd love to say something like "I'll master it one day", but honestly, it's brutal.

--- The NPC combat is horrible. Pinpoint accuracy is required. Put the pixel-sized gun sight on the target while it is constantly evading and attempting to out-turn you, or showing you the lowest possible profile of its ship.
Projectile-based multicannons require about 3/4 of a second of trigger press to 'spin-up' the barrels before lead comes out the deadly end. They also run on cartridges that must reload every 100 rounds. Last time I checked 2000+ round ammo belts have been successfully loaded and utilized aboard WWII aircraft. I guess the future is a step backward as far as that technology goes...
Add to this that the starter low-level weapons are completely nerfed. Your first set of lasers literally does 1/2% damage to hulls on equally small vessels. You need MANY direct hits to drop shields as well. You will need to string a few successful passes together before the target's shields can regenerate to make any progress.

- Shields wear down from hits, but restore at 100% when they come back online. There is no way to stop them from restoring if the target's shield generators are not damaged. There is no progressively preventing the shields from building up to 100% in hopes you can return them to a 0% state. Whittling down shields only exists when you are targeting a fresh 100% initial charge.
= At least the AI has to deal with the same conditions when dealing with your shields.

---- The AI cheats WAY more than any AI should. It definitely reads your control input and breaks direction when it calculates you cannot counter your previous input in order to not overshoot.
The AI also reads the position of your gunsight on-screen. Every time you are starting to pull lead, the gun sight and AI become just like pushing two north poles of magnets together.
You run out of fuel - the AI does not. I literally spent a full fuel tank (3+ hours) keeping an AI in a stalemate. It boosted to avoid my gunsight countless times. I only bossted about 10. Still, I ran out of fuel and the AI was then able to maul me at will.

*You can try the "Sidewinder Face-off" training mission for yourself and see if you fair better. - Equal ships and loadouts with a 'competent' level NPC at the helm.

= The combat does get slightly more satisfactory once you earn enough money to upgrade to better weapons.
My suggestion - put a gimbaled laser on one hardpoint and a fixed-mount cannon on the other, then set your 'Fire Groups' for Laser only, Cannon only and Both.

-- I really can see myself enjoying this ONLY in Single Player mode. I honestly can see why the whole thing requires 100% online connection to function properly, but the idea of "No internet, no game." still sucks hard.

Overall though, I must say, there is enough there in other features and mechanics that I'm not going to abandon it just yet...
Support National Take Your Chicken to Work Day!
-------------------
100% Organic, free-range and zero-antibiotics. STILL the toughest bird in the Evoverse.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Elite released on Steam

Post by Marvin »

Thanks for the review, RC ... it's a lot to think about for anyone considering this game.
sundalo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Elite released on Steam

Post by sundalo »

I tried getting back into ED after the power play update but I just cant. I might wait a long time before this game gets sorted out. RC makes some valid points especially the flight assist and flying in general. Same goes for combat. EvoMerc does a better job overall with the inertial system especially in pvp. ED emphasizes the barrel roll tactic much like the original, with the tricky part controlling that manevuer during assist off. If you want a better elite experience try oolite for free with mods.

[Edited on 6-25-2015 by sundalo]
\"There\'s a war going on out there, and it ain\'t easy!\"

\"All this has happened before, and all of it will happen again.\"
whipdiddywhip
Ensign
Ensign

Elite released on Steam

Post by whipdiddywhip »

the power play system really does sound engaging, watching vids on it now, reminds me kinda of the sov system in eve except with npc leaders.

i think space games nowadays need a sov system, it make the universe feel that much more dynamic and real.

can the territory in EM on the quad map change at all?
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Elite released on Steam

Post by Marvin »

From post: 178739, Topic: tid=11847, author=whipdiddywhip wrote:can the territory in EM on the quad map change at all?
The map is static. But you can influence the territory in SP, converting any star system to Safe. It won't show on the quadrant map but it will show elsewhere.
Valander
Ensign
Ensign

Elite released on Steam

Post by Valander »

From post: 178739, Topic: tid=11847, author=whipdiddywhip wrote:the power play system really does sound engaging, watching vids on it now, reminds me kinda of the sov system in eve except with npc leaders.

i think space games nowadays need a sov system, it make the universe feel that much more dynamic and real.

can the territory in EM on the quad map change at all?
I've been involved in Power Play for the last two weeks. It sounds interesting, but honestly it's just more grind with a different flavor. Plus, there are some serious bugs in it that prevent some required things for some Powers from even being done (e.g., some systems for Pranav Antal cannot be expanded, because it requires you to do stuff in Violent Protests, but there's a bug present that prevents the Violent Protests from even spawning in some cases, so you can't do anything).

At this point, I'm playing just to keep going, because the eye candy is kinda nice, and I do really like the mission/trading interface. But the rest of the game I'm finding pretty hollow after a couple of months of regular play.

Can't wait for the next version of Evochron... ;)
Rubber Chicken
Captain
Captain

Elite released on Steam

Post by Rubber Chicken »

I'm sorry you're feeling put-off by ED, Sundalo. I know it's release meant a lot to you. :(
Support National Take Your Chicken to Work Day!
-------------------
100% Organic, free-range and zero-antibiotics. STILL the toughest bird in the Evoverse.
Iron man
Commander
Commander

Elite released on Steam

Post by Iron man »

You saw the announcement? Dlc at 45 us dollards "on sale" for players having already the game.
this dev does not looking for make some friends by putting a starting price at 100 pound and released a DLC at this price. Lol
:cool:

However game good or not? I think that depends of opinion of everyone. Giving a neutral opinion the game has still some repetitive bug well known since alpha and havent been fixed.
You also need a lot of free time to play this game (money also( obviously lol)) because it take a long time to do things (tiny). So if your free time is only 2h a week, save your money for Em2 or another game ;).

Vice with all em players playing ED at the moment, we all ( wihout any exception) looking for your potential/new releases. :)
steam name : x iron man