Elite released on Steam

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
Rubber Chicken
Captain
Captain

Elite released on Steam

Post by Rubber Chicken »

My opinion still stands about ED, although it has improved a lot with the addition of a good graphics card: The game is pretty to look at. The combat is ...meh. While accurate to the "you must input all force AND counter-force" take on Newtonian physics - (people do know that gyro-stabilization is a thing right?) - the flight physics are... meh.

The one thing that I DO like - even though the HUD template is identical for all ships - is that the cockpit interiors are believably tailored to each individual ship.

That's not enough for me to justify $45 to 'expand' ED. :(

I agree with Ironman. I'd rather add another SW3DG title to my library instead. :cool:

[Edited on 8-11-2015 by Rubber Chicken]

[Edited on 8-11-2015 by Rubber Chicken]
Support National Take Your Chicken to Work Day!
-------------------
100% Organic, free-range and zero-antibiotics. STILL the toughest bird in the Evoverse.
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Elite released on Steam

Post by Nigel_Strange »

I would not go either/or with space sims: Collect them all!
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Elite released on Steam

Post by DaveK »

From post: 179677, Topic: tid=11847, author=Nigel_Strange wrote:I would not go either/or with space sims: Collect them all!
I wouldn't either/or either if we are talking about games equal to Starwraith. Basically I don't 'choose to afford' either ED or SC - at least not until they become proper playable games (even though they will have continuing expenses) rather than what appears to be pre-Alpha testing teasers.

In the 80's I played Elite on a Acorn BBC B and then on an Acorn Archimedes. I said then that (in my dreams of future computer development) I would pay a small fortune to play what ED and SC are promising - but I suspect that it's an ongoing 'jam tomorrow' situation and I won't pay for, as yet, non-existent jam.

EM and the forthcoming Prototype will satisfy my dreams for the present

:)

[Edited on 8-11-2015 by Marvin]
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Elite released on Steam

Post by SeeJay »

From post: 179677, Topic: tid=11847, author=Nigel_Strange wrote:I would not go either/or with space sims: Collect them all!
LOL! No way. Why would you pay for games that you won't like??
In my case several space "sims" is just airplanes in black "atmosphere". Not my kind of game.

Especially those games that are not finished but they still want tons of money!
ED, Star Citizen etc. Steam has A LOT of those Early Access games.
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Iron man
Commander
Commander

Elite released on Steam

Post by Iron man »

Here is some real % if you likes numbers.
From my steam friends list, 99% having Evochron mercenary as game.

From this amount only 25% got Elite Dangerous as game, and another 23% put this game into their wishlist.
wich mean around 52% of players playing evochron mercenary do not wish to play this game.

I still trying to stay neutral, hope that can help more players make theirs own choice. :)
steam name : x iron man
Janus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Elite released on Steam

Post by Janus »

My only problem with Elite Dangerous is the flight mechanic when you turn the compensators off. Here in EM, if you go to inertial your ship will turn, pitch etc as long as you are applying the control. When you stop applying it, the ship compensates and stops your roll/pitch (whatever). Not so in Elite Dangerous with Flight Assist Off. This is fine if you have a Thrustmaster Warthog or a Saitek X55 or some such. But on the midgrade and lower joysticks and hotas's there's just not enough control. I use a T-Flight Hotas X and I cannot go full manual control in Elite Dangerous. I can never stop the roll/pitch/yaw completely. I either overcompensate or don't compensate quite enough. There's always drift.

Not good for combat or docking.

[Edited on 8-18-2015 by Janus]
ADMIN Starport 6
Rubber Chicken
Captain
Captain

Elite released on Steam

Post by Rubber Chicken »

From post: 179830, Topic: tid=11847, author=Janus wrote:My only problem with Elite Dangerous is the flight mechanic when you turn the compensators off. Here in EM, if you go to inertial your ship will turn, pitch etc as long as you are applying the control. When you stop applying it, the ship compensates and stops your roll/pitch (whatever). Not so in Elite Dangerous with Flight Assist Off. This is fine if you have a Thrustmaster Warthog or a Saitek X55 or some such. But on the midgrade and lower joysticks and hotas's there's just not enough control. I use a T-Flight Hotas X and I cannot go full manual control in Elite Dangerous. I can never stop the roll/pitch/yaw completely. I either overcompensate or don't compensate quite enough. There's always drift.

Not good for combat or docking.

[Edited on 8-18-2015 by Janus]
^ I agree 100%. Correct me if I'm wrong, but gyroscopic stabilization systems are pretty much standard kit for any respectable modern spacecraft. Why can't it be put into place that if you want the full input/counter-input experience then switching the system off in the ship's subsystem menu is the thing to do?

IMO directional thruster systems AND gyroscopic systems should both be modeled and individually switchable on or off.
Gryos should also be sub-switchable to 'stabilize only', 'maneuver only', 'both' or 'auto' modes.

Granted, gyroscopic systems are only good for low degrees-per-second turning and need the thrusters to counter any heavy maneuvers. They could also cause problems when the ship is turned faster than the gryros could follow - potentially over-stressing the system, but IMO it would be nice to have the options available.
-------------------
100% Organic, free-range and zero-antibiotics. STILL the toughest bird in the Evoverse.
Rubber Chicken
Captain
Captain

Elite released on Steam

Post by Rubber Chicken »

I just checked the ED Horizons price on the Frontier website. It's nearly $100-U.S. to get it, and nearly $250 for the 'lifetime' expansion pass. Frontier's crystal ball might tell them that they will be sustaining ED for 10 or so years, but I don't have such wonderful fortune telling abilities. Even so, what happens when they do shut the servers down? ...Dead, no longer functional game?

As much as I actually would like to follow ED through it's lifespan, for those prices, not a chance.

I'll keep whistfully hoping for the day that Vice - who has already proven he can deliver in one shot (or in the case of EM, two) what Frontier is planning to milk to death - decides that his latest project is complete/developed enough to be released.
-------------------
Iron man
Commander
Commander

Elite released on Steam

Post by Iron man »

From post: 180079, Topic: tid=11847, author=Rubber Chicken wrote:I just checked the ED Horizons price on the Frontier website. It's nearly $100-U.S. to get it, and nearly $250 for the 'lifetime' expansion pass. Frontier's crystal ball might tell them that they will be sustaining ED for 10 or so years, but I don't have such wonderful fortune telling abilities. Even so, what happens when they do shut the servers down? ...Dead, no longer functional game?

As much as I actually would like to follow ED through it's lifespan, for those prices, not a chance.

I'll keep whistfully hoping for the day that Vice - who has already proven he can deliver in one shot (or in the case of EM, two) what Frontier is planning to milk to death - decides that his latest project is complete/developed enough to be released.
Well the name of the game ironically say by itself " elite" wich mean its reserved to the élite comunauty fortunate lol.

Apparently you who bought the game have a "kind " reduction for the 1 expansion ( yes somes others will follow) of 45 pound(dollards? Whatever its over priced) for "horizon ". The others who never bought the game will pay it as you mentioned below. :cool:

I got some feedback also from some diverse Em players whos playing ED now. Well we all agree we really do looking for EM 2 :)
steam name : x iron man
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Elite released on Steam

Post by SeeJay »

LOL! $100 + $250.

I will never pay that amount for any game. SC will probably end up in that range as well, if it's ever released.:(

-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
sythsillis
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Elite released on Steam

Post by sythsillis »

One game that is worth mentioning is 'No Man's Sky', which looks interesting enough. Just Google the title and you will find lots of info on it. I'm curious as to what the veterans think of it. It is different enough to interest me.
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Elite released on Steam

Post by SeeJay »

I've followed No Mans Sky for a long time. Getting worried that it'll never see the market. Looks pretty cool tho.

One downside is that in MP you might never actually meet another player due to it's size. Depends on how they set up the spawn system.

-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Elite released on Steam

Post by Nigel_Strange »

No Man's Sky reminds me greatly of Ad Astra. Similar idea: procedural galaxy that you can travel around, with various planets hosting exotic life, atmospheres, etc. Aliens, pirates, jobs, and all the good stuff packaged nicely.

No Man's Sky has nicer graphics, though, and goes a step or two further in that it lets you get out of your ship and walk around.

Still, for the price (free) Ad Astra is a great little game that should be tried out.

I'm looking forward to No Man's Sky, though. I hope they don't ruin it by making it too popular (adding fanserve, etc., to make it appeal to the masses, i.e. people unlike myself).
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Elite released on Steam

Post by DaveK »

I keep popping over to NMS site to see how they're getting on. Without a backstory the aliens will just be 'exotics' - no alien story arc to discover, but it looks like it will be great for a bit of relaxation 'touring foreign lands and seeing the strange sights (and sites!)

Perhaps they have a story arc to explore in mind though! :D

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
sythsillis
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Elite released on Steam

Post by sythsillis »

No Man's Sky has the full backing of Sony. I'm not a fan of Sony by any means, but they do have the money, resources and marketing. They intend to make No Man's Sky a premier marketing feature for the PS4, and so I think it is unlikely that this will be vaporware like Limit Theory was where the lone developer just burned out.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Elite released on Steam

Post by Marvin »

From post: 180123, Topic: tid=11847, author=sythsillis wrote:They intend to make No Man's Sky a premier marketing feature for the PS4....
From what I hear, that's true. The developer demonstrates the game using a game controller. Not a joystick. Ergo, not what I'm looking for.
sythsillis
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Elite released on Steam

Post by sythsillis »

Unless I'm mistaken, the PC version will have mouse and joystick support.
NLS
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Elite released on Steam

Post by NLS »

Sorry to intervene, just one thing: ED gets more bashing than it deserves.
Also I've seen some inaccurate statements, but I won't really bother discussing those. Whoever doesn't like it, doesn't like it.
I also made a funny look about the pricing of Horizons, but they were clear from the start to be honest. Yes it should have a bigger discount for people already owning ED. Yet, their business plan is not that bad: You get like a year of expansions (bug fixes you get anyway, they haven't dropped the non-Horizons version) each year. By the end of the year seems that they will have a sale for previous expansion (as they did with ED prior to releasing Horizons). So if you want to save, you stay one year back in expansions.
Anyway give Braben a break, he is 50% of Elite after all. Without Elite, no EM and EL. As simple as that.

Actually my secret dream is Braben to hire Vice in some high-profile position in Frontier and eventually "merge" some of the ideas.

:P

[Edited on 6-2-2016 by NLS]
---
NLS
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Elite released on Steam

Post by 49rTbird »

From post: 175870, Topic: tid=11847, author=Valander wrote:Be nice if they'd give those of us who bought it a Steam key, too... like Vice was kind enough to do. ;)
"SEE BELOW FROM ED FORUM"!
Edward Lewis
Edward Lewis is offline Community Manager
Frontier Employee
Default Elite: Dangerous Steam Keys

Greetings Commanders

All EliteDangerous.com store players can now generate a Steam key to add it to their Steam library.

By generating a Steam key all future purchases made with your Frontier account will also be associated with your Steam account. This won't affect how much you pay for the game or for paint jobs, but sticking with the EliteDangerous.com store remains the best way to support ongoing development with 100 percent of your money on future purchases. We especially appreciate it when you buy direct from us, but we're happy for you to play how and where you like. Just enjoy the game, and fly safe Commanders!

Instructions to redeem:

Go to your account dashboard.

Click on ‘Partner Keys’

Click ‘Claim an Elite: Dangerous’ key.

You can redeem your code by selecting 'Games > Activate a Product On Steam' in the Steam UI.

Note: the key you generate will add Elite: Dangerous to any Steam library but WILL NOT grant access to the game without an existing registered Frontier account and copy of the game. For this reason, please don’t give your keys away to friends! They won’t be able to play without having already bought the game from Steam or the EliteDangerous.com store!
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Ducimus
Ensign
Ensign

Elite released on Steam

Post by Ducimus »

I picked elite dangerous a couple days ago and regret it. Videos and reviews on YouTube make it look like a fantastic game, but 7 hours into it, and I'm throughly unenthused. Since I'm typing this on an iPad, I'll make this short.

Problems as I see it:
1. This is an mmo, this means tedious grinding. I thought running trade routes in EM and EL was tedious, elite dangerous is reminding me why I gave up on MMOs.

2. Mission system sucks. It seems like your limited to just 1 or 2 timed missions, that are not always available. So what's to do? Trade routes.

3. Trading is basically a time consuming process of flipping back and forth between a commodities screen and Galaxy map. EL's interface for trading is far more simplistic, efficient and helpful. In elite Once I find a commodity to buy low and sell high, the port will be out in supply so I can't buy said commodity. Which leads me to......

4. Supercilious and unnecessary systemic tedium that does nothing but create time sinks. I've played enough MMOs to see recognize this BS when I see it. Example, docking to a station. You have to:
A. Request permission to dock.
B. Fly to a randomly assigned dock.
C. Maneuver your ship, just so, or crash.
D. Extend landing gear,

Etc etc. there's a lot of small minutia, that you have to do each and every time. Compare that to docking in evochron.

Now, weigh that with limited missions and commodities that aren't always available, in addition to the shear size of the rendered universe. Bigger is not necessarily better. The shear size means it can take two to three times as long to do equivalent activities in evochron. All it amounts to is more waiting. Which leads me to...

5. Avionics and flight model has much to be desired. Your limited by top speed , lack luster Newtonian physics, and limited flight info. No velocity vectors or flight path marker in space. Evochron might give you too much info to digest, but ED lacks basic in flight info.

Not sure what else to say, maybe it will grow on me, I've been trying to learn it, but right now I regret buying it, and I feel The money I spent on ED would have been better spent on a thrustmaster hotas for EL.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Elite released on Steam

Post by Marvin »

From post: 186020, Topic: tid=11847, author=Ducimus wrote:Since I'm typing this on an iPad, I'll make this short.
:cool: Not exactly short ... but definitely to the point. (Although there are EL fanatics* who wouldn't mind more difficulty when docking.)

* At least one that I know of.
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Elite released on Steam

Post by matchbox2022 »

Yeah, ED has some good things, mostly the sounds and the combat...frameshifting to a degree is cool, but EL has similar ideas where you are instantly somewhere instead and that can still be disabled via disruptors (though wish those did more than that)....in my books that's it though for ED, and the ideas can pretty well be imported to evochron.

Plus, you can save gpu power and get some extra shaders running on it, max out the AA and AF....I did that with EM and it even looked delicious. Mixed with less wallet dieting :P
And free updates for the life of the game
For indie starwraith is where it's at.

[Edited on 2-27-2016 by matchbox2022]
Do, or do not, there is no try.
- An Asian father.
Delta99
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Elite released on Steam

Post by Delta99 »

Don't forget to mention that the combat in ED is nowhere near as good as EL. And the flight model stinks in ED.
Ducimus
Ensign
Ensign

Elite released on Steam

Post by Ducimus »

Well, I finally figured out how to reliably get a trade route going in ED, but you know what? It took me two hours to double my starting credit of 1000, to 2400. Really? My first go around I somehow managed to scrap up 10K, by doing a few missions and selling commodities to where the mission was located, but that was shear dumb luck. Missions are not always available, commodities not always available.

Seriously though, 2 hours for 2K credits. I spent most of that time watching stars zip by the canopy. It honestly took me 15 to 20 real world minutes just to travel to the station i wanted to sell my imports at after hypering into the system. My playtime is limited two a couple hours in the morning before the rest of the family wakes up. I so regret buying this game, because I don't have time for these kinds of superfluous time sinks. 15 minutes, just sitting there staring at the monitor doing nothing at all, just to travel to a station? pphhhhhtttttt Nevermind the time spent traveling on the other end of the same trade route. I can only hope that game improves in a year from now, so the money spent wasn't totally wasted.
sundalo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Elite released on Steam

Post by sundalo »

If you want a fun Elite experience I suggest you download the free and highly underrated game, Oolite. It retains the classic 1984 Elite gameplay for modern machines and the game is made better with oxp expansion mods. When you install the game it has the mod manager built into the game for convenience. Not sure why most of the community never acknowledged this gem every time I mention it, even the vets lol.:D

[Edited on 2-27-2016 by sundalo]
\"There\'s a war going on out there, and it ain\'t easy!\"

\"All this has happened before, and all of it will happen again.\"