Do you own, or plan to own, an Oculus Rift?

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Please vote in the poll for your ownership status of an Oculus Rift and potential interest in it.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Support for AuraVisor

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Either that or the other one (I forget what it's called). But not 'till either one comes out of Beta testing.
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Support for AuraVisor

Post by SeeJay »

It all comes down to how expensive it is if I'm buying or not. (Voted for 3)

[Edited on 2014-1-28 by SeeJay]
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Support for AuraVisor

Post by Maarschalk »

I voted for number 3, and that would still depend on how expensive it would be to buy one!.....;)
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
SpaceDrifter
Ensign
Ensign

Support for AuraVisor

Post by SpaceDrifter »

The technology seems very promising and I think
evochron would the perfect game to play it with.

and Alien Isolation too.

But still needs to be affordable, and I would have to change my rig too, DOH !
aelfwine
Ensign
Ensign

Support for AuraVisor

Post by aelfwine »

I own the developer's kit and initial prototype. Unfortunately it's still fairly low resolution but it's a game-changer (literally) and do indeed plan to eventually change out my TrackIR once there is adequate game support for it and the retail release with higher resolution comes out.
Kearf
Ensign
Ensign

Support for AuraVisor

Post by Kearf »

I do own the Oculus Rift (together with my roommate) and i am very sorry that i didn't give you any updates about the playability with Evochron. (shame on me and my roommate) :(

It does work with a 3rd party driver(forgot the name, i will update very soon) but there where some problems with the HUD.

The immersion was out of this world ! Like a new game.

Like i said, i will give you all a better review about Oculus and Evochron, but its not only in my hand because my friend doesn't hand the device over to me and he was lazy to do a video. ;)
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Support for AuraVisor

Post by DaveK »

If this comment is realistic:

The consumer version of Oculus Rift, which Oculus VR Vice President of Product Nate Mitchell said is coming in "months and not years," will likely come in HD like the prototype we saw at E3. As you can imagine it's absolutely a superior experience.Mitchell was hesitant to divulge too many specifics, though, mostly because they're always subject to change. "We want to continue to improve the hardware," he said. "Display technology keeps getting better. Sensor technology keeps getting better. We're adding new features and things like that, a lot of which we haven't announced."He said they want to keep the price point around $300 (about UK£191, AU$312), though.

from this review then even though it sounds promising (though development stages tend to be hyped since no-one has any hard data to compare) I can't see me justifying the outlay simply for for gaming, especially since EM is the only game I play! :P

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
NLS
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Support for AuraVisor

Post by NLS »

If the price is that and gets support for more and more games, then I am definitely getting one.
I am waiting to see the production model though (lighter, faster, more resolution).
---
NLS
Busch
Captain
Captain

Support for AuraVisor

Post by Busch »

Voted maybe. I've read some, and viewed a couple of U-tubers on it. Very interesting. Should the EM 'next one' support OR, I'll definitely consider purchasing. There's another game that I like, currently on hang-fire, that will also support OR. That'll add a bit of goading to the decision matrix. Funds aren't an obstacle. However, I don't care to pay the toll for early adoption of new tech. I'll wait and see how it pans out.
Commander
[SW] Clan Squadron Lead - Retired
Call Sign: Busch
DennyMala
Captain
Captain

Support for AuraVisor

Post by DennyMala »

I'm not a big fan of 3D in movies nor of such kind of headset or tracking of the head in games and wearing glasses can be a hampering factor too.

I'll see the price tag but I won't probably get it regardless.
Best regards

[IM] DennyMala
Prej
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Support for AuraVisor

Post by Prej »

I can get a brand new Logitech G27 steering wheel, which is far more interesting to me, for less than the Oculus.
Voted "not interested".
Sinbad
Commander
Commander

Support for AuraVisor

Post by Sinbad »

I would definitely be interested in OR especially if Mercenary supported it. Money's a bit of a problem though so I would be looking at probably 2 years or so down the line.

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Sinbad
Clan Leader

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Support for AuraVisor

Post by Nigel_Strange »

The OR demos look cool, but I am not going to be replacing my desktop setup soon. I think I'm already glued to the monitor too much, and if I cover my face with the device at home, I will remove myself from reality one more level. I wonder how many families will be destroyed by this thing.

That said: after bedtime, all bets are off. I might eventually try it, but not for a while. I just got TrackIR, and it seemed like an extravagance.
Daedalao
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Support for AuraVisor

Post by Daedalao »

I've seen the DIY kits. And I will be buying one of these for my crewstation setup. It eliminates the need for so many screens in a lot of the sims/games I play.

Now to get a g25/g27 racing wheel.
-splosives-
Captain
Captain

Support for AuraVisor

Post by -splosives- »

Evochron would be the perfect game to play with an OR.
SplosivesCorp: Bringing people closer to destruction.
Urisk
Ensign
Ensign

Support for AuraVisor

Post by Urisk »

I voted that I have already purchased a rift, which is technically somewhat true considering I've preordered a DK2 and they already have a part of the money, but I don't have the device yet. ;)

I'd really like to play Evochron on the Rift.

Vice, do you own one? ;)
LLAP!
Kai
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Support for AuraVisor

Post by Marvin »

Scuttlebutt has it that the company has been bought out by one of the bigger corps. With a roll-out date of next year.
Mecingo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Support for AuraVisor

Post by Mecingo »

Well now since it was bought out by Facebook... any future plans of owning it are up in the water maybe Mr. Zuckerberg and his minions might allow it to be used for games but I've heard things. For example I heard their planning to turn it into a social device for FB of some kind. That would be a nightmare come true.
KaiWyvern
Ensign
Ensign

Support for AuraVisor

Post by KaiWyvern »

I'm not planning to buy one at the moment. I'm not too big of a fan of 3D.. I just don't see the appeal of 3D tv/movies, and the 3D on the Nintendo 3DS was pretty underwhelming. I'd definitely have to try a demo first.
Skylee
Ensign
Ensign

Support for AuraVisor

Post by Skylee »

I will buy it for sure, when it will be available for purchase , now I think it's still on sale for dev (about 300$) that is too much ;)
Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not.
Both are equally terrifying.

Arthur C.Clarke
Xreasonz
Ensign
Ensign

Support for AuraVisor

Post by Xreasonz »

The moment that the consumer model hits the market.

Got a go with the DK1 and fell in love, but the resolution was a letdown.
Did not try the DK2 yet but it is an overall improvement. Specially with the positional tracking.

But yes i will go and get one when the consumer model comes along.
Xreasonz
Ensign
Ensign

Support for AuraVisor

Post by Xreasonz »

From post: 171709, Topic: tid=11212, author=KaiWyvern wrote:I'm not planning to buy one at the moment. I'm not too big of a fan of 3D.. I just don't see the appeal of 3D tv/movies, and the 3D on the Nintendo 3DS was pretty underwhelming. I'd definitely have to try a demo first.
Those are not comparable to a VR headset. By far.
With the rift you are in effect inside the game. Instead of just looking at a screen (flat surface) You have some kind of Peripheral view so when you look right, you actually look right at the same ratio.

The first time that you will try it will be weird since we are not used to that.
But it brings you literally into the game.

If you are still on the fence about it i urge you to give the DK2 a go if you can manage that. The DK1 has no positional tracking, where as the DK2 has (it adds a huge immersive factor).

Running triple sreen 27" with a trackIR5 at the moment, and that add a good sense of scope but lack in depth, The sole reason 3D is a good addition + it is completely seemless.
binary
Ensign
Ensign

Support for AuraVisor

Post by binary »

Just received the dk2, I would love to play Evochron on it. So consider this a standing offer if you ever want a dk2 tester.
norc
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Support for AuraVisor

Post by norc »

Just got my DK2 ... love it so far.

Not convinced on purchasing VorpX however... has anyone tried this or is anyone using any other way to use the rift with Evochron?
Retroverse Evochron Mercenary Server 24/7
Leaderboards ~ PVP ~ Kill Rights ~ Stats ~ Clan Friendly ~ Ranks ~ Multiplayer Profiles Only
http://www.retroverse.com.au/evochron/