Do you own, or plan to own, an Oculus Rift?

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
Landman
Ensign
Ensign

Support for AuraVisor

Post by Landman »

From post: 173176, Topic: tid=11212, author=norc wrote:Just got my DK2 ... love it so far.

Not convinced on purchasing VorpX however... has anyone tried this or is anyone using any other way to use the rift with Evochron?
You can utilize Tridef 3D to setup a profile for EM.

I haven't got an Occulus but I do have a DIY VR Kit, which I think is better than the DK2 at the moment. It has improved latency and resolution over the DK 2. But not the same head tracking capabilities (Can't tilt my head left or right).

Experiments with the EM demo worked pretty well for me when using Tridef 3D. Let me know if you need a hand. :)

Landman
norc
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Support for AuraVisor

Post by norc »

I ended up getting VorpX which has been a rather average experience with the exception of a couple of games.

Would be great if this game had Oculus Rift support. Its the only reason I am considering getting Elite Dangerous as they have native DK2 support already.

I'd be more than happy to be a beta tester if it was added to Evochron :D
Retroverse Evochron Mercenary Server 24/7
Leaderboards ~ PVP ~ Kill Rights ~ Stats ~ Clan Friendly ~ Ranks ~ Multiplayer Profiles Only
http://www.retroverse.com.au/evochron/
raron
Ensign
Ensign

Support for AuraVisor

Post by raron »

From post: 173639, Topic: tid=11212, author=norc wrote:I ended up getting VorpX which has been a rather average experience with the exception of a couple of games.

Would be great if this game had Oculus Rift support. Its the only reason I am considering getting Elite Dangerous as they have native DK2 support already.

I'd be more than happy to be a beta tester if it was added to Evochron :D
Same here about vorpX. Also, ofc I too am very interested in Oculus for Evochron Mercenary.

I finally got my DK2 to work, and I've only briefly tried it with Evochron (via vorpX), but the FOV is wrong, as in zoomed in too much. There is the middle-mouseclick look-around mode that kind of works better, but it's not really ment for that (it's ment to look around in menues etc, and that works pretty well), but then you also see the screen borders. Also, I used TrackIR for headtracking, but I guess the DK2's IR lights interfered so there was lots of jittery view turning when I didn't (I guess I could place TrackIR say behind me and make a profile for that, but I don't think I'll try this much as it is now anyway).

Btw, I recently found this fun little space fight demo for Oculus Rift DK2: Darkfield VR. They have a working demo that I've tried a few times. I find it fun just to fly around taking in the scenery, fly into the asteroid cave etc but ofc also cool to play the game. It's really immersive! Some nice little touches too like a few swithces thrown into the cockpit (not clickable though), a helmet that you see from the inside etc. Wearing the Rift you kind of feel that you have a helmet on anyway :) Btw they have a pretty cool aiming method for the guns I think.

Something like this for Evochron would be really awesome!
norc
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Support for AuraVisor

Post by norc »

Any word on native Oculus Rift based support for Evochron? I have used VorpX and TriDef and the experience is less than stellar.

I did cave and buy Elite Dangerous but honestly, talk about over complicating things. However that being said visually Elite Dangerous is amazing on the DK2.
Leaderboards ~ PVP ~ Kill Rights ~ Stats ~ Clan Friendly ~ Ranks ~ Multiplayer Profiles Only
d3drocks
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Support for AuraVisor

Post by d3drocks »

As soon as the consumer units are ready, I'm ordering one.
Deep Thought
Ensign
Ensign

Support for AuraVisor

Post by Deep Thought »

From post: 175116, Topic: tid=11212, author=d3drocks wrote:As soon as the consumer units are ready, I'm ordering one.
Same For me

I am currently useing Nvidia 3D to play some games with

[Edited on 4-29-2015 by Deep Thought]
poneytailman
Ensign
Ensign

Support for AuraVisor

Post by poneytailman »

If EM will support it, I will have one.
poneytailman
Ensign
Ensign

Support for AuraVisor

Post by poneytailman »

Is anyone using one now in EM?
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Support for AuraVisor

Post by Marvin »

I think the question was directed more at any possible new game Vice might decide to develop.
Thoemse
Ensign
Ensign

Support for AuraVisor

Post by Thoemse »

The only reason i found and bought this game is because i read it works with vorpX drivers on the DK2.
As norc said the experience is less than stellar. It also shows that EM is not far from being a very cool rift experience though. If you as the creator work on it i am pretty sure you could make this a terrific VR game.

Space games are perfect for VR.

Please, please do it. :)
norc
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Support for AuraVisor

Post by norc »

Im still running my Evochron server and hoping that it gets a DK2 release ... I am enjoying Elite with it more now that I got a new joystick (Saitek X52 Pro), but would prefer to be playing Evochron.

Before anyone points it out, yes I know its slack I play a game only because it supports DK2... but space games are perfect for this.
Skiiwa
Ensign
Ensign

Support for AuraVisor

Post by Skiiwa »

Yes.
ZyborgJames
Ensign
Ensign

Support for AuraVisor

Post by ZyborgJames »

I'm waiting to see the price point of the consumer version. I would like a VR headset, the Steam/HTC one could be interesting as well.
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Support for AuraVisor

Post by Ohsirus »

Just ordered my DK2, should be here soon, Watching players on Elite convinced me to splurge for a bit and I found a guy who made FSX and P3D (Flight sims) work with it.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Support for AuraVisor

Post by Vice »

The new game (Evochron Legacy) now has an experimental VR system that supports the Oculus Rift. Not sure if it will become an officially supported option in the game long term or not, but it is now up and running in test form.

If you would like to have a first try at this new system and help test it, you will need the following minimum system requirements:

- Windows Vista, 7, 8.1, or 10.
- Fully DirectX 11 compatible system (including video card, 10 and 10.1 cards not supported).
- Oculus DK2 with the 0.8 runtime installed (0.7 and older not supported).
- High end i7 processor or equivalent.
- 4 GB system memory.

If your system meets these minimums and you'd like try it out, please send a zipped msinfo report on your system to me via e-mail (starwraith.com > contact).
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
PaulB
Commander
Commander

Support for AuraVisor

Post by PaulB »

Is it just with this option that DX11 is required?
I thought I read on the Legacy web site that DX9.0E and up was the requirement?
DX10 is not supported?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Support for AuraVisor

Post by Vice »

This is only for the Oculus test. DirectX 11 will be required for the VR mode and Oculus Rift support, should it eventually be a supported option at some point. You are correct, the base game will not require it and can run via 9Ex with a SM 3.0, 4.0, or 5.0 compliant video card.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Fhalo
Ensign
Ensign

Support for AuraVisor

Post by Fhalo »

Any plan to support AuraVisor?
Percopius
Ensign
Ensign

Support for AuraVisor

Post by Percopius »

I plan to own the second generation of the best hardware.
Kamiyami
Ensign
Ensign

Support for AuraVisor

Post by Kamiyami »

I voted no. Unfortunately, I only have one functional eye. I am legally blind and cannot see the third dimension. VR systems like Oculus are designed exclusively for those with 2 equally functioning eyes. Unless they come up with a cure for amblyopia, I'm not a candidate for VR.

Edit: Figured I should add specifically, I was -born- with only one working eye. From digging around the internet, it seems VR works about 80% as well for people who lose sight in one eye, since their brains have compensation mechanisms based off memory. As someone born one-eyed, my brain lacks those compensation mechanics, and as such, VR does little more than give me a lower quality visual experience, and possibly some headaches.

[Edited on 3-13-2016 by Kamiyami]
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Support for AuraVisor

Post by Misunderstood Wookie »

I'm getting a rift this year, actually I already drew up a concept for a RIFT only cockpit which has the displays completely moved around so you need the head tracking support to actually look left and right and below to see the standard data like the radar, target display and your own ship info. I'm actually going to mock up a RIFT mesh after I finished the one for the main project if anybody is interested along with a FOV of 100.
Elvisman
Ensign
Ensign

Support for AuraVisor

Post by Elvisman »

Vive for me.
Too many features Oculus doesn't have.
GWhipple
Ensign
Ensign

Support for AuraVisor

Post by GWhipple »

I'm more interested in Vive, they (Rift and Vive) seem similar when it comes to hardware, with a few pros to the Vive in my opinion. But it all comes down to software support, and that's too early to say.

I will probably not buy either VR anytime soon cause the price is too high and I think a TrackIR or similar would be a better investment for me.

Also, VR it's cool. But in a game like this, I use the keyboard a lot, if I'm hooked up to a VR headset I will press the wrong keys all the time. ^^
Slayer
Ensign
Ensign

Support for AuraVisor

Post by Slayer »

Eventually, yes, after I upgrade my rig and it becomes a bit more affordable.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Support for AuraVisor

Post by Marvin »

From post: 187805, Topic: tid=11212, author=Slayer wrote:Eventually, yes, after I upgrade my rig and it becomes a bit more affordable.
Before you do, you might want to peruse the following thread: http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtop ... 9&p=187353

Not just the last post but also the entire topic, including Vice's final post on the subject.