Do you own, or plan to own, an Oculus Rift?

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
pilotnewbextraordinaire
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Support for AuraVisor

Post by pilotnewbextraordinaire »

From post: 187317, Topic: tid=11212, author=GWhipple wrote:I'm more interested in Vive, they (Rift and Vive) seem similar when it comes to hardware, with a few pros to the Vive in my opinion. But it all comes down to software support, and that's too early to say.

I will probably not buy either VR anytime soon cause the price is too high and I think a TrackIR or similar would be a better investment for me.

Also, VR it's cool. But in a game like this, I use the keyboard a lot, if I'm hooked up to a VR headset I will press the wrong keys all the time. ^^
Just the concept of the vive seems more advanced than that of the rift right now. I'm interested in seeing what oculus comes out with next but I don't have high hopes that it will be better than what it is. At least in how the companies behind it currently treat the rift as they are now. It is a peripheral and should be marketed and engineered as such. Throw a walled garden up around it and you'll soon find that you'll be destroying that wall from within just to get people on the outside through.

Apple succeeded in doing the opposite so mileage could vary.

That being said, I'd already have a vive if life was a bit different right now. Hands down, I'd rather support a more open system than one that is closed. One of the reason's why I've kicked myself a few times over for buying EL off of Steam and not direct.
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Support for AuraVisor

Post by Misunderstood Wookie »

True that I was going to get a Rift last month but I since thought about after the announcement of Vive I have weighed that choice up because Steam is heavily integrated into my daily computing and Vive has Valves support with Steam VR. This leads me to believe that Vive will compete head to head with Rift for top spots in the coming years of VR development and Steam being Valve the support is likely to go in Vive's favor as Steam VR is further developed of the coming months into a SDK\\API for devs to make VR compatible Steam games. So this is my reasoning is it valid?

You guys tell me :)

[Edited on 5/3/2016 by Misunderstood Wookie]