Existing List of Upcoming Features\Changes?

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
TezzaC
Ensign
Ensign

Existing List of Upcoming Features\Changes?

Post by TezzaC »

Hi everyone,

About a week ago I got myself a copy of Evochron Legacy on Steam and having an absolute blast, this is absolutely what I have been looking for, I cannot believe I missed this one on release!

I just wanted to ask, because so far I have failed to find it, is there a dev log of upcoming features, changes and fixes for Evochron legacy posted anywhere that I can have a look at? Assuming of course that one exists :)

I have reviewed all of the past patch logs and I am very impressed with the amount of work put into Evochron Legacy and it definately shows in the quality!

All the best
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Existing List of Upcoming Features\Changes?

Post by Vice »

Hello and welcome. Glad you are enjoying the game. There isn't an external pending list of changes/features as development has traditionally been fairly dynamic (with an internal list often changing/development during testing), based on feedback and some objectives I have had for the game as time has passed. As of May of last year, I've managed to implement most of the goals I had for the game since I started working on it in 2011 (and which is likely my last solo PC space-sim title on this scale). So current plans are changes/improvements based on remaining objectives that may come to mind and relevant feedback/requests that might come in.

The improvements in the works now are somewhat larger in scale, involving some revised shaders, graphics improvements, and some UI/console changes/tweaks. The game is kind of ripped apart at the moment as I've been going through these various elements and it will probably be a long while before the next update (which will likely be the case going forward as well, if/when future updates are released).
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
TezzaC
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TezzaC »

Thanks very much for the response! This all makes very good sense.

I think even at a high level of detail it is nice to see that there are still some works planned going forwards. I did expect as much, because I find everything feels very much complete, which is rare these days....

From having a closer look, it is great to see that there is a way to create and share new quests within Evochron, I have been hunting around in the file structure to see if there is a way to create new contracts and types of contract to expand the diversity of what is on offer. I would probably look at doing this myself if this is possible, although I am guessing by the way they are generated at each location this is more done in the codebase?

Again many thanks.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

EL is indeed generally what I'd consider a complete game (offered 'as is'), even though I do tend to work on my games for quite a while after release and have done so with this one as well. Some 'RL' challenges have surfaced in recent months which has made it more difficult for me to devote as much time to it as I might otherwise, but I intend to do what I can as age, health, and finances permit. Even if it means I may have to drop down to more of a part time/spare time effort at some point. So far though, I've been able to work on the game for several years with a lot of updates. And now that it has reached a more feature complete status, I've been able to shift my development focus over to some of the visual elements and general tuning/tweaking. It's also allowed me to revisit an older game of mine (Arvoch Alliance) to update it to better align with EL and newer options/graphics it didn't originally have.

Yes, there are internal contract mechanisms for both the mission/job/contract system and the quest system. Although there are some differences in what is available between the two. The 'quest0-sample.txt' file provides references to those available options specific to the quest system (which I'm guessing you've been reviewing). You can set more trigger/location type events to provide a sequence of required actions on the player's part (including equipment/weapon/material acquisitions and/or build operations). And you can specify both a winning path and a losing path, rather than single static pass/fail objectives as with the city/station contract system. So there's a little more diversity in what can be set up with the quest system.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
TezzaC
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TezzaC »

Good guess, Vice! I have already been digging through those files to see how they work ;D

Thanks for the information.

And well done getting your games to where they are today! 8)
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

In the Tools section at SeeJay's website, you can find a list of quest options to help you in developing a new quest. Go here: http://www.evochron2.junholt.se/ and from there to the Tools section.
TezzaC
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TezzaC »

Thanks Marvin I will check this out, much appreciated!
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

If you have any questions, just post 'em here. Either that or send me a PM.