In-Depth Tutorial for new players

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
DeathTech
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

In-Depth Tutorial for new players

Post by DeathTech »

Hey everyone,

A while back I had a tutorial post up on this forum before but it appears to have been removed due to age restrictions.
Therefore I am reposting my In-Depth New Player Video Tutorial Series on Evochron.

First off main tutorials, at the bottom you'll find some "guides" to do better by.

Base Game Tutorials:

Basic Flight Tutorial
https://youtu.be/xsviAbf13w8

HUD Tutorial
https://youtu.be/53FQUueuQ1w

Navigation Tutorial
https://youtu.be/AHX7FwdpdfQ

Shipyard Tutorial
https://youtu.be/4v22vp6FCGU

Inventory Screen Tutorial
https://youtu.be/VwWhQynWa_Q

Weapon Lab Tutorial
https://youtu.be/QgfXkou_Mqo

Engineering Lab Tutorial
https://youtu.be/OUkQT4Je1mA

Space Station Building Tutorial
https://youtu.be/snp7xC433jg

Planetary Landings tutorial
https://youtu.be/JA98rOTzFf8

Trading and Fleets overviews
https://youtu.be/8uItiN_y3tA

Commodity Values Explanation
https://youtu.be/LunLeCw6ADM

Guides:

Multiplayer Server Setup Tutorial
https://youtu.be/dLAlg01Rj88

Guide First Flight
https://youtu.be/tDS-cb6kISQ

Guide Making Your First Million
https://youtu.be/ANGD4o3AYos

Your first contract:
Not Released Yet

Your first quest:
Not Released Yet

Trading 101:
Not Released Yet

Mining 101:
Not Released Yet

Advanced Academy:

How to fly fuel efficiently:
Not Released Yet

Proper Planetary Surface Landing:
Not Released Yet

Understanding your jumpdrive:
Not Released Yet

Jump Docking/Gatetravel:
Not Released Yet

Fuel Siphoning from astral bodies:
Not Released Yet

Exploring the vast unknown:
Not Released Yet

Challenges:

Finding the Terrain Walker:
Not Released Yet

I hope these are all of use to any new players in the community.
And hope to see you all out there.
PS. More may be on the way. After all. The Evochron community is a large part of my channel.
Last edited by DeathTech on Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:22 am, edited 6 times in total.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: In-Depth Tutorial for new players

Post by Vice »

And @Vice if you read this post, is it possible to prevent the post from being removed due to age?
Posts/threads generally aren't removed unless they contain incorrect information and/or violate a forum rule. They will generally be locked after around six months to a year for relevance and to limit bumping/necro-ing. I ran a search and found the following tutorials you posted about a year and a half ago if you'd like them for reference: http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtop ... 64#p183564

There was a major forum software migration in June of last year, so some formatting and options have changed since that time. Your current post here looks good. I can remove this reply also soon to keep this thread cleaner and on topic, if you like.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

The Evochron games seem to have a reputation for having a steep learning curve, though I personally think that part of it is more a slow skills acquisition curve (for example with combat skills).

This set looks like a good, comprehensive, dip in series of tutorials. I'm looking forward to see what the 'first millions' includes ... in the past there have been a variety of money making careers you can start off with depending on your individual preference for the the role you want to develop.

Again personally, as a player who has had to climb that steep learning curve for each of the games as the Evochron series evolved (OK, a bit shallower each time but still a fun challenge), I would say thank you for sharing your experiences to help newbies over the first few hurdles ... once I'd learned enough to live a reasonably long life and begin to prosper (to paraphrase a pointy eared friend) I became addicted to the Evoverse.

:)
DeathTech
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DeathTech »

Vice wrote:
And @Vice if you read this post, is it possible to prevent the post from being removed due to age?
Posts/threads generally aren't removed unless they contain incorrect information and/or violate a forum rule. They will generally be locked after around six months to a year for relevance and to limit bumping/necro-ing. I ran a search and found the following tutorials you posted about a year and a half ago if you'd like them for reference: http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtop ... 64#p183564

There was a major forum software migration in June of last year, so some formatting and options have changed since that time. Your current post here looks good. I can remove this reply also soon to keep this thread cleaner and on topic, if you like.
Oh sorry Vice. I couldn't find it and my signature link didn't work either so I suspected it was garbage collected. So many forums do it nowadays. XD
Thanks for finding it.

DaveK wrote:The Evochron games seem to have a reputation for having a steep learning curve, though I personally think that part of it is more a slow skills acquisition curve (for example with combat skills).

This set looks like a good, comprehensive, dip in series of tutorials. I'm looking forward to see what the 'first millions' includes ... in the past there have been a variety of money making careers you can start off with depending on your individual preference for the the role you want to develop.

Again personally, as a player who has had to climb that steep learning curve for each of the games as the Evochron series evolved (OK, a bit shallower each time but still a fun challenge), I would say thank you for sharing your experiences to help newbies over the first few hurdles ... once I'd learned enough to live a reasonably long life and begin to prosper (to paraphrase a pointy eared friend) I became addicted to the Evoverse.

:)

Hehe, I'm just glad to help others.
I still get requests on my channel to do more Evochron so I decided to pay the forum a visit again.
So much stuff has happened and I've learned a new array of tricks to share.

And speaking of the first mil, I am hoping some of you experienced combat players could hang with me at some point as I am trying to ascertain the viability of Piracy and Combat contracts (With the base starter ships.)

Some reference or assistance will be required as I am... Terrible at combat. Adept at getting out while the getting is good.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

DeathTech wrote:
Some reference or assistance will be required as I am... Terrible at combat. Adept at getting out while the getting is good.
ditto and mostly ditto ;D
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:P I have but one piece of advice for anyone thinking about "going rogue" in MP: set a re-spawn point which isn't within your chosen combat area ... but, if you do make that mistake and find yourself being mercilessly attacked each time you spawn, exit the server, spawn either in SP or on another server, move out of harm's way, and then return to your original server.
DeathTech
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DeathTech »

In the end I decided to make the video without combat as I tried for two days and combat is initially just to hard and volatile to do.
Maybe not for everyone but at least for me.

I did extensive time consuming tests for four main ways of making money and will be releasing my finding as the before mentioned "your first million video".
Hopefully you guys will like it and help create a bridge between new players and veterans.

I look forward to your responses on the topic of the first mil after I actually released it.
Going to head in-game and start recording some gameplay footage.

<3
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

There are a number of tricks to combat ... even for those of us who are not Golden Boys. The first being: get yourself a military ship. Legacy ships aren't the same as Mercenary ships. In this incarnation of Evochron, you'll find that each ship has a specific role and attempting to kit out one kind of ship to fill another ship's role won't work like it did in Mercenary. But some old tactics, when tweaked to take into account the upgraded AI, can still work. Hint: an enemy ship will often break off its attack if it gets much below fifty percent. Later, a sensor station can help find it.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

On a side note, I've been working on several tutorial videos myself and hope to start releasing them soon. One does cover combat in pretty significant detail.
StarWraith 3D Games
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

One of the problems I've noticed while flying with Vice is he seems to be one of those guys with golden hands. I've also seen other videos by guys who seem to perform amazing feats of combat skill. Most of these guys deal deadly blows against enemy ships, one after the other, in quick succession. While I'm forced to drag the fight halfway across a sector when I'm by myself ... or limp away from a furball, after attempting to support my knife-fighting buddies, and watching the battle from a safe distance. I imagine there are at least a few pilots like myself who can't dance but, unlike myself, have yet to learn the ins-and-outs of survival when faced with the need to engage in tactical combat against overwhelming odds.
DeathTech
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DeathTech »

Marvin wrote:One of the problems I've noticed while flying with Vice is he seems to be one of those guys with golden hands. I've also seen other videos by guys who seem to perform amazing feats of combat skill. Most of these guys deal deadly blows against enemy ships, one after the other, in quick succession. While I'm forced to drag the fight halfway across a sector when I'm by myself ... or limp away from a furball, after attempting to support my knife-fighting buddies, and watching the battle from a safe distance. I imagine there are at least a few pilots like myself who can't dance but, unlike myself, have yet to learn the ins-and-outs of survival when faced with the need to engage in tactical combat against overwhelming odds.
The main problem for me was mainly getting targeted by 7 alien ships at the same time when its me vs all of them and barely knowing the controls.
I completed freelancer a long time ago and that was hard. Less sim but still. Similar combat principals.

And I have played X3 a lot even there the combat is kind of okay for me.
My problems with Evochron combat (If any) is that I seem incapable of dodging any shot at all.
Unlike the afore mentioned games.

Because I can never seem to dodge any hits at all I get hit by every single shot without fail.
And trust me its not for a lack of trying. :3

Its not as much of a me not being able to aim (because I do manage to kill one or two of them before they all shoot at me).
But its rather the fact that I am unable to avoid the others who easily mass on my tail and pick me off.
Normally I would just do guerilla tactics and burn loads of fuel to thrust up to them, blow one up and thrust out.

Sadly that kind of behaviour doesn't fill the coffers where fuel is expensive.
And its certainly hard to do in the basic combat ship.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

The basic ship, military or civilian, is not the place to be fighting seven Reds. But, if you find yourself in that predicament, your best bet is to outrun them, engage inertial, turn around, and begin to slow down until one or two of them close to within range of your gun (make sure you've installed a gun with a really long range). There's usually a sweet spot where they can't reach you with their guns* and, since you're moving away from them, their missiles can't reach you ... while, on the contrary, since they're heading toward you, your missiles are still effective.

* Sometimes, one of the enemy will also have a long-range gun installed. In that case, either take him out first or exit the fight. It's just not your day.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

That and keep the principle of not flying directly at your opponents in mind. Indirect arcs and circles are key. I think you'll find the combat video I'm preparing helpful as it will cover this and several other principles.
StarWraith 3D Games
DeathTech
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DeathTech »

Vice wrote:That and keep the principle of not flying directly at your opponents in mind. Indirect arcs and circles are key. I think you'll find the combat video I'm preparing helpful as it will cover this and several other principles.
As I said before I completed freelancer and played X3.
I already know how to dodge shots.
But I just can't do it in Evochron. :3

If I do it in Evochron my actual trajectory doesn't change enough to dodge shots.
Instead it just looks like I am an idiot pilot on drugs, swishing around violently.

I do look forward to some combat videos.
Would like to see goldfingers here shoot some baddies. :) As I am terrible at it.

I'd suggest Vice doing the test for me but that wouldn't compare to a newbie trying.

I mean like. Once when playing X3 I used the arcing circling techniques to dodge all fire but missiles in Terran space uninvited.
There were at all times more that 30 ships firing at me and they almost never actually hit me. Easy peasy.
But I just can't get it to work on Evochron perhaps its just a factor I am forgetting, a button I'm not pressing.

Who knows the bottom line is I suck at space combat. Its my favourite. But I still suck at it. ;)
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

I learned my technique in X-3 where, as I approached the merge the first time, I picked a target and kept firing at it until it was damaged ... then I blew through the pack until I was out of range. Turning around, I could either pick off another enemy ship or blow through and finish off the straggler. Rinse and repeat. It kind of works the same way in Legacy ... except I now make greater use of inertial, flying backward.
DeathTech
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DeathTech »

I was more of a... Bring about 100 more heavily armed minions to fight for me kinda emperor of space. :3
Rather than... Fighting myself. But you do have to be capable of fending for yerself. ;)

EDIT:
PS. Just released the first mil video.
Vice wrote:On a side note, I've been working on several tutorial videos myself and hope to start releasing them soon. One does cover combat in pretty significant detail.
Btw would you like to work together on those with me or do some sort of collab?
Could always offer you some of my insight after the 6 or 8 years of video related works. :3

Let me know if do you.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

I've basically got them finished, but working on coding/development stuff has kept me too busy to finish them up and upload them. I hope to have them available in a couple of weeks or so.
StarWraith 3D Games