I think I finally figured out how to play Evochron properly...

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
StarHunter32000
Ensign
Ensign

I think I finally figured out how to play Evochron properly...

Post by StarHunter32000 »

I've had EL for a year, been playing it sporadically since then. Never really got far, because honestly I was kind of intimidated by the depth and complexity. Thanks to Evochron, as well as the Truck simulators, BeamNG.Drive and ARMA 3 I've gotten heavily into Simulators. This led me to buy X-Plane 11, a flight sim currently in Beta. X-Plane doesn't have any real missions to speak of, outside of a couple of challenges. Today, while I was going between the explored sectors, trading and doing odd jobs, it hit me. Evochron is a basically a flight sim, in space - it's not a game you have to "win", but rather a hobby. The point is to experience what space flight might be like in the future, above anything else. My goal is to get a bigger ship, so I can be self-sufficient enough to explore uncharted sectors and perhaps build a space station or two. To reach this goal, I'm slowly building up credits by doing missions and trading. In a normal game, this would likely be pointless, irritating grinding to get to the good stuff, but in Evochron, it IS the good stuff. I'm doing things that at first glance seem boring, like gathering running supplies out to a capital ship, delivering fuel to a stranded pilot, recovering lost cargo, and my personal favorite, racing. Because of Evochron's advanced physics, and the level of control I have over the ship, these "boring" activities are actually fun. It's relaxing, in the same way a good flight sim is. Although, I haven't really done any combat yet so that will probably change. Anyway, I hope that all made sense. Evochron's a damned good simulator.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: I think I finally figured out how to play Evochron properly...

Post by Marvin »

StarHunter32000 wrote:I'm doing things that at first glance seem boring, like gathering running supplies out to a capital ship, delivering fuel to a stranded pilot, recovering lost cargo, and my personal favorite, racing.
:P There should be an award for that last one ... assuming, of course, you win. :o
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Post by Nigel_Strange »

Glad that you're enjoying the game. The combat is tough, so make sure you're in a good ship when you do start mixing it up in furballs. Also, my advice is to always plot an escape jump point, so that if you need to bug out fast, you can do so.
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Post by matchbox2022 »

lol. we should all race, or better yet, do a pvp tw battle. 2 on 2 wouldn't be hard to get going at all.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Well, IM is usually on the G2 server Sundays, between noon and 2pm, west coast time (USA). This Sunday though, we might cut it short to do a little WWI flying. And, if G2 is still down (it has been all week, so far), then our target for the entire day will probably be France.
Destroy
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Destroy »

StarHunter32000 wrote:Today, while I was going between the explored sectors, trading and doing odd jobs, it hit me. Evochron is a basically a flight sim, in space - it's not a game you have to "win", but rather a hobby. The point is to experience what space flight might be like in the future, above anything else. I'm doing things that at first glance seem boring, like gathering running supplies out to a capital ship, delivering fuel to a stranded pilot, recovering lost cargo, and my personal favorite, racing. Because of Evochron's advanced physics, and the level of control I have over the ship, these "boring" activities are actually fun. It's relaxing, in the same way a good flight sim is. Although, I haven't really done any combat yet so that will probably change. Evochron's a damned good simulator.
<snipped some> Yup, this game is a great journey. Doing the main quests helps tons; they are pretty much tutorials for the game but long term.
polob
Ensign
Ensign

Post by polob »

I've been having thoughts very much along these lines myself of late. Just enjoying the experience. And your right that even the simple "mundane" missions can be fun in that frame of mind. Just flying about between the stars or above some alien planet.. Doing Stuff. I'll admit that I do wish there were a greater number and variety of missions, just to keep thing more fresh and engaging. Have been wondering if there's anything possible along those lines on the modding front actually, that's what I came here to check today. But you're bang on.. it's all in the attitude, the atmosphere, the immersion, the mood, the feel. I Love just sinking into this experience for hours at a time, away from the world and all its cares. Four me this is an absolutely fantastic game, and I love it! A big beautiful universe to explore; slowly,. I do admit to wishing there were some more discoveries, or maybe just a little bit more frequent. To help with the feelings of wonder, and life, and endless possibility. Anyway.. back to it! All the best!
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Well, there is another quest you can download at Seejay's website. And I was thinking of doing one myself. Something along the lines of how the Vonari started out. How, being dog-like, they infiltrated Earth disguised as dogs and used their mental telepathy to convince mankind to do some really strange things. Like, for instance, things that eventually led to the condition of Earth as you see it in Legacy.
DeathTech
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DeathTech »

StarHunter32000 wrote:Evochron's a damned good simulator.
Yes so it is.

If you are still struggling with Evochron mechanics I would encourage you to spend some time watching some of my training videos.
I only just reposted them as I have only just recently learned I couldn't find my old tutorial library and as Vice stated they were still there (Though I can't edit the thread anymore)

Here is the link: http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtop ... 27&t=13118

I hope with all this information you will have more fun in the epic space sim we like to call "Evochron".
Or in my opinion space trucking whilst dodging lots of not intentional hostile missiles for lols and giggles simulator. :3

Hope you enjoy your games, both evo and not evo.