[EL] Rank is decreasing when switching from civilian to military frame

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
robberer
Ensign
Ensign

[EL] Rank is decreasing when switching from civilian to military frame

Post by robberer »

Hi Evochronians,

quick question:

I have 505 points in the civilian ranking. When I jump into the shadow frame, 50 points are lost.

Is it normal that I lose points when I switch from a civilian frame to a military one ?
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [EL] Rank is decreasing when switching from civilian to military frame

Post by DaveK »

Welcome to the community :)

Civilian and military ranks are totally separate.

Basically, you can increase civilian rank with bank balance and by doing contracts. You increase military rank by doing military contracts - available in war zones.

The main thing about mil ranks (as well as ego/bragging rights) is that you can only get access to the better mil frames with higher ranks, though when you reach captain all the mil frames are available. Access to civilian frames is only limited by your bank balance and the tech level/economic level of the system you are in. Hence you may buy any civilian frame on offer if you can afford it, but some mil frames will be unavailable until you get promoted.

:D
robberer
Ensign
Ensign

Post by robberer »

Thanks for your reply, but I fear that I already know what you've said :-) Except that I thought that with rank commander all military frames are unlocked.

That said, my question is WHY do I lose ranking points WHEN I switch to a military frame. It's reproducible in my save game.

1. I'm docked at a carrier in a warzone in my Centurion frame with 505 CIV points in the bank (a fresh "Skilled" Rank)
2. I go to the shipyard
3. Switch my Centurion frame to a Shadow frame
4. Bam, 50 CIV points are subtracted from the 505 points, which left me with ... let's calculate this :-) ... 455 points and I'm back to "Competent" rank

-------------

EDIT: I play in MP mode if that matters

EDIT 2: In SP still the same
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Your civilian rating may drop when you switch to a military ship (particularly a lower class). Your military rank won't change. Depending on the ship you switch from and the ship you switch to. A well equipped Centurion will generally be considered a better ship to complete an array of contract objectives, so acquiring it can boost your civilian rating. Giving it up for a frame that is viewed as less capable overall can result in a reduction in your rating. Your track record still applies and the larger the track record gets, the less of an impact the type of ship you fly can have.

This was compared to a race driver analogy a few months ago on the forum to help explain. That is, how your ability to win a race would be viewed by those hiring if you drove a race car versus a less capable 'beater' car. Here is an excerpt: If you are expected to race either one, yes, your potential results will be less effective in the beater car. ... In addition, the more your track record is based on your contract performance and wealth, the less of an impact the type of ship you fly will have on your rating. If we apply this to [the] analogy, you could say that the more race wins you get on your record, the less it will matter what kind of car you drive when people evaluate your win potential (ie rating).
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
robberer
Ensign
Ensign

Post by robberer »

Wow, that is deep logic i have not expected. (If i understand this right (english is not my native language))

The the solution to this would be to first downgrade my current CIV frame to a lower CIV frame than the MIL one, then switch to my new MIL frame and refit it with my old components ?
Last edited by robberer on Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
robberer
Ensign
Ensign

Post by robberer »

Hmm, I have to admit, I don't get it. I tried my said things above. I still lose points. Slightly less then 50 but still a lot to drop me far of from being "Skilled" rank.

I have no open contracts so I dont understand why this is a matter in what ship I change. I even get punished while switching to a lower CIV frame.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

In short, your base rating still applies, the parts of it that are tied directly to you as the pilot anyway. What is added to the base rating can include the type of ship you fly. A 'Shadow' is generally considered a less capable ship overall compared to a well equipped Centurion. So when your total rating is calculated, the more capable ship suggests that, overall, your chances of success in completing a wide variety of contracts is higher as viewed by the people who will be hiring you. Hence, your rating will go up when you fly that class of spacecraft. If you drop to a lower class civilian frame, the rating will likely go down in the same way as if you drop to a lower class military ship.

As you build your base rating higher, the type of ship you fly will have less of an impact on how hiring entities view you (for example, going from a 950 to a 900 will have less of an impact than going from 505 to 455, that is, around a 5% reduction as opposed to around a 10% reduction).
StarWraith 3D Games
robberer
Ensign
Ensign

Post by robberer »

Ah, now i've understood what you mean with "your base rating still applies, the parts of it that are tied directly to you as the pilot anyway" .

When I switch back from the Shadow frame to the Centurion frame my CIV rating points are 505 again. I've tested it this morning. The rank is not really lost. Phew :-)

Is there a way where we can see our base rating ?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Not currently, but yes, your base rate stays intact even when/if you change ships. So if you later return to higher class ship, your rating will go back to a higher value.
StarWraith 3D Games
robberer
Ensign
Ensign

Post by robberer »

Vice wrote:Not currently, but yes, your base rate stays intact even when/if you change ships. So if you later return to higher class ship, your rating will go back to a higher value.
Yeah, that is the answer everyone may understand. Even with limited english language skills such as mine ;D . And Yes, it would be really cool to see the base rating. Maybe in the upper left corner when pressing "^" or "Scroll Lock" .

Right now I have 574 CIV points 8)
DaveK wrote:Welcome to the community :)
main thing about mil ranks (as well as ego/bragging rights) is that you can only get access to the better mil frames with higher ranks, though when you reach captain all the mil frames are available
I'm happy to say that we don't have to work up to rank captain, as I hoped, to unlock all MIL frames. Made it to commander right now, and finally I'm in the Chimera >:D . What a great capacitor this ship has, I love it. PewPew all the time.

------

As always, Thanks guys for your support, best game, best community, ever ;)

P.S.: Time for a 5 minute break, my pulse is at 180 from all that fighting. All the souls i've send to hell, to be there forever, in chains, in a fireball, with lighting bolts hitting them every 2 seconds >:D

BTW: The "evil" smiley in the forum isn't displayed
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

>:D Confirmed that Mr. Evil doesn't display as a smiley. Could it be the browser's fault?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

It appears related to the forum software, it's taking the greater than character and not parsing to the emoticon, instead applying a '>' marker to it. Not sure why, but it effects both the angry emoticon and the evil emoticon.
StarWraith 3D Games
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

robberer wrote:
DaveK wrote:Welcome to the community :)
main thing about mil ranks (as well as ego/bragging rights) is that you can only get access to the better mil frames with higher ranks, though when you reach captain all the mil frames are available
I'm happy to say that we don't have to work up to rank captain, as I hoped, to unlock all MIL frames. Made it to commander right now, and finally I'm in the Chimera >:D . What a great capacitor this ship has, I love it. PewPew all the time.
Thanks for the correction ... I'd obviously misremembered from the olden days! Oh, how I miss my mind :'(

:)