[EL] Explorer ship loadout

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
robberer
Ensign
Ensign

[EL] Explorer ship loadout

Post by robberer »

Hi Evochronians,

I've made a reasonable amount of money with mining and cargo from other pilots. Now i'm planning to explore the galaxy.

For now I have the following ship and loadout:

Code: Select all

Ship: Leviathan

Crew: 2 (science officer 100/100 , navigation officer 100/100)
Equipment: 10
Countermeasures: 0
Secondary Weapons: 8
Hull Armor Plating: 8
Energy Core: 0
Fuel Tanks: 10
Cargo Bays: 10

Engines: Quantum MK2
Resitor: 1 Pack
Plating: Composite
Modules: Thruster
WingSys: Aerovoch MK2

Specs:

Mass Level: 60
Structural: 87
Energy Level: 69
Heat Factor: 70
Firepower: 74
Agility Rating: 27
Atmospheric: 16
Accel/Decel: 47
Fuel Efficency: 10
Range: 40
Speed: 558

Equipment Slots:

Mine/Tractor Beam
Mantis Jump Drive
Deploy Constructor
Build Constructor
Terrain Walker (YES, I got my hands on the recipe)
Repair Sys C3
Fuel Converter
Shield Battery X5
Cargo Scanner C5
Solar Recharger

Secondary Weapons:

8x Stealth device
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions:

Does it makes sense to fit a shield at all while exploring ? Blackholes do hull damage and for everything else i have the stealth devices and 8 hull points for the ship and my repair device

Should I go for the lowest engine to be more fuel efficient ? I guess most of the time i'll be in INERT mode. IDS top doesnt really matter there.

Range in the ship specs, whats the meaning of this ?

Anything else you would change ?

Kind regards,
Rob
SolarWarden
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Re: [EL] Explorer ship loadout

Post by SolarWarden »

If you play as Independant and do nothing but exploration, then no a shield isn't really necessary, although it helps to avoid collision damage with objects and aids during atmospheric entry if you should travel above 3000 speed units. If you rely on stealth devices to escape battle situations, it might be worth tracking down a hardpoint Stealth Generator so you don't have to keep replacing the single use units.

Engine power isn't just about fuel economy, but it's also about how easily your ship is maneuvered. The Leviathan is the heaviest civilian frame, and if you place a tiny engine on it, it'll be like trying to drive a bus on ice. You'll waste more fuel trying to correct overdrift and muscle the frame around than you would save on inert flight.

I'm assuming the range in the ship specs is how many sectors your ship can travel on a single tank of fuel at full throttle without jumping, but I'm guessing on that one.

I see you carry constructors also, so it would help to change the cargo scanner to a target scanner so you can determine the different material contents in asteroids and mine more of what you'd like instead of picking a random rock and hoping it doesn't take 20 minutes to mine.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

SolarWarden wrote:I see you carry constructors also, so it would help to change the cargo scanner to a target scanner so you can determine the different material contents in asteroids and mine more of what you'd like instead of picking a random rock and hoping it doesn't take 20 minutes to mine.
According to Vice's comments on the new release:
Materials that can be mined from planet surfaces now vary randomly, creating 'pockets' of higher, mixed, and lower value materials that can be recovered. Players that equip their spacecraft with a target scanner can see the percentages of each material when they fly at a low enough altitude (similar to how the contents of an asteroid can be viewed when targeted).
Making a target scanner even more valuable. 8)
SolarWarden
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by SolarWarden »

Ooh, and planetary mining less like pulling a molar! Fascinating... I may have to reinstall one of those bad boys.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

8) Yup ... I tried it and found, with a bit of cruising around, that there are spots where metal registers in the eighties.
robberer
Ensign
Ensign

Post by robberer »

OK, just a short feedback from my likewise short exploration tour.

I've traded the Leviathan in for a frame below, swapped out the build constructor for a target scanner, kept the Quantum MK2 thrusters, and swapped the cargo scanner for a stealth generator (yes, I got one). Needed to keep the shield battery because the generator does'nt work without one.

Found 3-4 new systems with planets, landed on two planets, shot a bird (indeed, it looked like a bat) with the terrain walker. After that I had no further interest in exploration. It's simply not the right profession for me :'(

I'm now in the FDN Navy and this a lot more fun for me. I'm already LT CMDR .

The only one I wish me for a future patch are civilian contracts for killing other pilots (Hey, this CMDR had stolen my cargo, go, kill him). I don't like working for the navy at all. I would like to roleplay an independant outlaw. >:D

Anyway, fighting is much more for for me, than exploration. (I don't believe it that i think so because otherwise I'm a calm guy while playing games and avoid any violence, but space fights in Evochron are so badass hard, yesterday i almost broke my Hotas Warthog in anger :-) )
SolarWarden
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by SolarWarden »

There are civilian assassination contracts in the game where you will be sent to destroy a specific AI pilot Ace and three or four of his buddies, and they are usually a bit tougher than regular enemies, at least they seem to be.
robberer
Ensign
Ensign

Post by robberer »

SolarWarden wrote:There are civilian assassination contracts in the game where you will be sent to destroy a specific AI pilot Ace and three or four of his buddies, and they are usually a bit tougher than regular enemies, at least they seem to be.
Hmm, these are really good news.

But i have to admit I never saw one of those contracts. But i'm mercenary noob with my 350 civilian points. Looking forward to this when i've reached CMDR rank to unlock the chimera frame ;-)

The one i've got so far:

1: deploy this and that
2: inspect cargo
3: deliver cargo
4: collect and deliver cargo
5: find animal lifeform
6: inspect a planets atmosphere
7: take part on a race against another pilot
Maybe the list is not complete, but kill contracts were not part of it. But, as i said, i'm looking forward to it when i'm in my chimera >:D

P.S.:

anyway, as always, thanks for answering my question so fast. For a game that has such a low player base, it's a really nice community. I'm glad that i have this gem of a game.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Look in the lower-right corner of the navigation map to see which faction controls the star system. If it's your own and the percentage is fairly high, you won't find any combat contracts. So, if combat is what you're looking for, move to a star system which is held by the enemy ... then find a station (or build one) where you're allowed to dock. After that, it shouldn't take lone before you'll be swamped with options to do battle.
SolarWarden
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by SolarWarden »

Also, if you happen to be playing as the [IND] Independent faction, you won't receive ANY combat contracts unless you are in a war zone. [IND] contracts center around trade, science, and item recovery.