Economy/Trading Questions

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
marlowe221
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Economy/Trading Questions

Post by marlowe221 »

I could use some clarification on a few things:

1. Engineering ingredients - Do these make a decent tradable commodity? If so, how does that work - buy them in a low econ system and sell them in a high one?

2. Equipment trading - So far, this has been disappointing for me. Buying equipment in a low econ area and taking them to a high econ system doesn't really seem all that profitable. In fact, commodities seem better. I am not expecting EM Torpedo levels of profit or anything but I feel like I am missing something here. Do I need to find a high econ system that is also a Tech economy? I am not sure, but that leads me to...

3. Economic factor interaction - I'm not sure how this works. For example, there is a system near Sierra that I will not name for spoiler reasons (it starts with an A) that has a bunch of Tech oriented Planets/Stations. But at least in my game, the economy level is quite low (20-something or less, IIRC). Of course, I know that generally speaking, tech stuff will sell better in a Tech system... but what effect does the overall economy rating being pretty low actually have? Does that combination of factors make it a better system to buy in or to sell in? Is a low econ Tech system a better place to sell tech-related goods than a high economy Biological station?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Economy/Trading Questions

Post by Vice »

1. Engineering ingredients - Do these make a decent tradable commodity? If so, how does that work - buy them in a low econ system and sell them in a high one?
Yes, that's the basic principle. On their own, they can be a somewhat valuable trade commodity, depending on where they are acquired, where they are sold, and how many.
2. Equipment trading - So far, this has been disappointing for me. Buying equipment in a low econ area and taking them to a high econ system doesn't really seem all that profitable. In fact, commodities seem better. I am not expecting EM Torpedo levels of profit or anything but I feel like I am missing something here. Do I need to find a high econ system that is also a Tech economy? I am not sure, but that leads me to...
By request, much of the equipment value variation has been adjusted to keep commodity trading a profitable activity. So for single equipment items, you may find profit to be a few hundred or a few thousand credits, although there can be some particular items and routes with pretty solid gains. Economy types (and levels) can have an effect, but consider those particularly important for commodity trade routes.
3. Economic factor interaction - I'm not sure how this works. For example, there is a system near Sierra that I will not name for spoiler reasons (it starts with an A) that has a bunch of Tech oriented Planets/Stations. But at least in my game, the economy level is quite low (20-something or less, IIRC). Of course, I know that generally speaking, tech stuff will sell better in a Tech system... but what effect does the overall economy rating being pretty low actually have? Does that combination of factors make it a better system to buy in or to sell in? Is a low econ Tech system a better place to sell tech-related goods than a high economy Biological station?
In that situation, I would consider the 'Tech' economic class to be an indicator for what type of items are available and the level to be high advanced/valuable the items will be and for how much. So given those conditions you describe, expect to find fairly low level technology readily available for pretty low prices. Overall, probably a pretty good system to buy in, but not so much to sell in.

To provide a specific example of value relating to your last question (tech related goods/commodities), you can expect to find electronics to be very cheap in 'Tech' economies while diamonds and platinum are much more valuable as they are key resources used in the production of tech items and not just a low value finished product (which tech economies will have in abundance). So you might find platinum to be 50% more valuable in a 'Tech' economy if it's at the same economy level compared to a non-Tech economy where you acquired it.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations