A Few Unrelated Questions

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
marlowe221
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

A Few Unrelated Questions

Post by marlowe221 »

Just a few questions about EL:

1. Is trading in equipment/weapons still an activity worth pursuing? I know Vice hit the old EM Pearl torpedo run (and similar runs) with the nerf hammer to bring it more in line with other activities in the game but I was wondering about the overall viability of being a weapons/equipment trader in a non-exploit kind of a way.

2. Many systems seem a lot more sparse compared to EM - is that because of the FDN/ALC war that happened? I haven't played the opening quest yet, I'm building up my money/equipment a little first.

3. System Faction Control - if a system is ALC 3% does that mean that there are no FDN bases at all in that system? Or is it that most of the bases are ALC and there are 1-2 FDN bases? In other words, once a system flips to a faction does that mean that ALL dockable planets/bases are now in that faction's control or is it a more gradual process?
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: A Few Unrelated Questions

Post by DaveK »

1: Yes in that it's a prime method of making $$$ to spend on equipment you want, upgrade your ship or hire crew; It's not got the 'too easy' runs that plagued EM, but there are still profits to be made.

2: do you mean in terms of planets/moons/asteroids etc or do you mean habitats? The war didn't destroy planets but it did decimate a heck of a lot of colonies. Several systems haven't been repopulated yet - but left up to us as part of the game. There's the extra factor that game stations can be destroyed and AI work in the background to convert systems to their own faction, so it's possible to convert, say, a FDN system deep in FDN space to ALC and vice versa

:)
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

1. Is trading in equipment/weapons still an activity worth pursuing? I know Vice hit the old EM Pearl torpedo run (and similar runs) with the nerf hammer to bring it more in line with other activities in the game but I was wondering about the overall viability of being a weapons/equipment trader in a non-exploit kind of a way.
Yes, there are item options that can make a trade run relatively profitable in comparison with other activities. One addition in this area is that you can now acquire blueprints (build formulas) to construct various equipment items in the engineering lab that can then be turned around and sold. A few of those options can be significantly more profitable than just buying and selling.
2. Many systems seem a lot more sparse compared to EM - is that because of the FDN/ALC war that happened? I haven't played the opening quest yet, I'm building up my money/equipment a little first.
Yes, and many of the default station/city structures are only partially complete, left open to leave room for players to build on them and/or build new structures to expand things.
3. System Faction Control - if a system is ALC 3% does that mean that there are no FDN bases at all in that system? Or is it that most of the bases are ALC and there are 1-2 FDN bases? In other words, once a system flips to a faction does that mean that ALL dockable planets/bases are now in that faction's control or is it a more gradual process?
That means there is very little FDN control presence, regardless of bases or cities. It comes down to actual spacecraft presence with station/city structures simply being their support network. Stations stay bound to the faction that built them, but yes, cities can be flipped as an opposing station is built in the same sector. From the instructions:

City command modules are linked to the faction of a space station command module in the same sector, if one is present. Planetary cities are dependent on support from local resources and ships travelling in the area. Without the support of a linked space station command module for inventory and supplies, they must operate entirely on their own with any resources and support they can find. So by default, any city modules are neutral in their faction affiliation until linked with a space station command module in the same sector. If no space station command module is present in the sector, city command modules will default to an 'IND' (Independent) faction ID, which designates a neutral affiliation. Such neutral cities will allow any ship to dock with them and conduct business. Once a space station command module is constructed in a sector, then any local cities in the same sector will align their faction affiliation with the station's. This way, you can take over existing cities in a sector by destroying a linked space station command module, then building one of your own for your faction in the same sector.

More information on this particular subject is available in the console section here (Ship Consoles > Build Console): http://www.starwraith.com/evochronlegac ... me.htm#504
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
marlowe221
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by marlowe221 »

Vice wrote: Yes, and many of the default station/city structures are only partially complete, left open to leave room for players to build on them and/or build new structures to expand things.
I knew I could build stations but I did not know I could build onto stations that already exist.... That's very interesting. I'm usually not much of a builder in games like this but I may have to give that a try. Is there an easy way to tell which modules a given station already has?

Vice wrote:That means there is very little FDN control presence, regardless of bases or cities. It comes down to actual spacecraft presence with station/city structures simply being their support network. Stations stay bound to the faction that built them, but yes, cities can be flipped as an opposing station is built in the same sector. From the instructions:

City command modules are linked to the faction of a space station command module in the same sector, if one is present. Planetary cities are dependent on support from local resources and ships travelling in the area. Without the support of a linked space station command module for inventory and supplies, they must operate entirely on their own with any resources and support they can find. So by default, any city modules are neutral in their faction affiliation until linked with a space station command module in the same sector. If no space station command module is present in the sector, city command modules will default to an 'IND' (Independent) faction ID, which designates a neutral affiliation. Such neutral cities will allow any ship to dock with them and conduct business. Once a space station command module is constructed in a sector, then any local cities in the same sector will align their faction affiliation with the station's. This way, you can take over existing cities in a sector by destroying a linked space station command module, then building one of your own for your faction in the same sector.

More information on this particular subject is available in the console section here (Ship Consoles > Build Console): http://www.starwraith.com/evochronlegac ... me.htm#504
I want to make sure I understand this correctly.

In my current FDN profile, Fauston is marginally under ALC control. I forget precisely, but it's in the 1-5% range. But the stations in that system are FDN (if memory serves). So I can dock there, I will just run into a lot of ALC ships when I am in that system. Is that right? If so, that's great! That means I can do some "blockade running!"

But that leads me to another question - is it possible to flip control of a system's dockable stations then? If I did a lot of missions in Sapphire, killed a lot of ALC ships, etc. the system might eventually fill up with FDN ships but the default stations are never going to flip to FDN, right?

If stations are un-flippable, what is the benefit from driving ALC ships out of a system that they currently control?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

I knew I could build stations but I did not know I could build onto stations that already exist.... That's very interesting. I'm usually not much of a builder in games like this but I may have to give that a try. Is there an easy way to tell which modules a given station already has?
A couple of options. You can open the Inventory console > News/System Information to view a total module count for the sector you are in for a complete overview. From there, when you are in range of a station, you can individually target any module to determine what type it is (numpad 0, 1, and 3 keys for nearest, next, and gunsight object targeting).
I want to make sure I understand this correctly.

In my current FDN profile, Fauston is marginally under ALC control. I forget precisely, but it's in the 1-5% range. But the stations in that system are FDN (if memory serves). So I can dock there, I will just run into a lot of ALC ships when I am in that system. Is that right? If so, that's great! That means I can do some "blockade running!"
It is probably classified as 'disputed' with a slight 1-5% bias toward ALC. Under that condition, yes you will generally encounter quite a few ALC ships from time to time (and when one finds you, they may have reinforcements start joining in). It also means that you will have allied FDN ships around to help, particularly on combat contracts you accept from the local FDN station(s). And yes, if you attack and destroy ALC ships in that region, you'll start to see the territory control value shift in favor of FDN.
But that leads me to another question - is it possible to flip control of a system's dockable stations then? If I did a lot of missions in Sapphire, killed a lot of ALC ships, etc. the system might eventually fill up with FDN ships but the default stations are never going to flip to FDN, right?
Correct, stations remains bound to the faction that built them. You can flip cities and their docking ports, but not space station command modules. In order to establish an allied space station command module, you first must destroy the enemy command module, then build your own in that sector.
If stations are un-flippable, what is the benefit from driving ALC ships out of a system that they currently control?
It eventually results in reducing their presence in a region and also brings in forces from your faction, further helping to shift the level of territory control in your favor (such as when going from 'ALC' control to 'Disputed' in a faction specific example). The process can be accelerated further by you building an allied space station command module anywhere in the region to begin combat operations. The timing is up to you though. You may want to wait to build a command module until you've changed the control level to 'disputed' so allied ships will be joining in on contracts. Or you may feel confident enough to begin command module based combat operations while the territory is still in full enemy control and complete missions on your own solo without any support. Such strategy decisions are up to you based on how you formulate the actions and sequencing you want in your effort to try and take over enemy space.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
marlowe221
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by marlowe221 »

Vice wrote: Correct, stations remains bound to the faction that built them. You can flip cities and their docking ports, but not space station command modules. In order to establish an allied space station command module, you first must destroy the enemy command module, then build your own in that sector.
Oh, are the default stations destructible in EL?

I guess I assumed that they weren't!
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Yes, they can be destroyed and rebuilt to reflect your own faction.

While you're at it (building), keep in mind that the three primary considerations are: location, location ... and location. Look for a sector or its nearby neighbor with an asteroid field ... the better for quickly acquiring the metal needed in building. And, after you've built and are ready to colonize, you want a planet with water, vegetation and (hopefully) fauna (birds and butterflies). If you're running short of credits, then having that asteroid field in your sector can be a big plus ... as those asteroids head toward the planet.
marlowe221
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by marlowe221 »

Marvin wrote:Yes, they can be destroyed and rebuilt to reflect your own faction.

While you're at it (building), keep in mind that the three primary considerations are: location, location ... and location. Look for a sector or its nearby neighbor with an asteroid field ... the better for quickly acquiring the metal needed in building. And, after you've built and are ready to colonize, you want a planet with water, vegetation and (hopefully) fauna (birds and butterflies). If you're running short of credits, then having that asteroid field in your sector can be a big plus ... as those asteroids head toward the planet.
Well shoot, I may have to get over my Han Solo mindset and actually build something. ;D
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Also keep in mind: (1) it's cheaper (metal-wise) to build a city's landing pad but (2) if an adversary then builds a space station, the city will revert to the adversary's faction and (3) you won't get any contracts from the city until you build at least the command module of the space station. All in the same sector, of course.