Starting Faction Choice?

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
marlowe221
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Starting Faction Choice?

Post by marlowe221 »

At the beginning of the game, one must choose a faction.

Other than starting location what is the effect of this choice? Just how hostile is the faction that you didn't pick?

Can you switch factions later? Can you "take over" systems from the opposing faction somehow?

Thanks!
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Starting Faction Choice?

Post by Vice »

Other than starting location what is the effect of this choice?
It determines which side of the two faction conflict you will begin allied with. The starting location can also provide some benefits, depending on the role you want to play. You might want to create two profiles, one for ALC and one for FDN, then explore the starting area with each to determine which one you might be most interested in continuing on with.
Just how hostile is the faction that you didn't pick?
They will be very hostile to you, attacking on sight/in range and marked hostile.
Can you switch factions later? Can you "take over" systems from the opposing faction somehow?
Yes and yes. Use the rename option in the pilot profile manager to change faction (wait to do this until you've changed your save point in the game to a location that will be good for the new faction you choose). The territory quadrant map will help you keep track of territory control in 500X500 sector region blocks of the quadrant. You can gradually transition each block over time by attacking and destroying enemy spacecraft in the area, thus reducing their presence in the region and building your faction's control. This can be done in or out of contracts, depending on whether you build an allied command station module in the region or just start attacking on your own. Once you get a region down to 'disputed' control, you'll gradually have allied ships move in to start helping with the effort and joining in at contract waypoints.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
marlowe221
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by marlowe221 »

Thanks Vice, that is very helpful!

One other quick question - can you still dock on "hostile" stations (with a fee) the way you could in EM? Or is a hostile station a no-go?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

One other quick question - can you still dock on "hostile" stations (with a fee) the way you could in EM? Or is a hostile station a no-go?
No, docking at hostile stations is blocked, you can only dock with allied stations if you are ALC or FDN. However, you can temporarily change your faction to independent (IND), then dock at any station, sometimes for a fee. You can then later return to the original faction affiliation you started with.
StarWraith 3D Games
marlowe221
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by marlowe221 »

Vice wrote:
No, docking at hostile stations is blocked, you can only dock with allied stations if you are ALC or FDN. However, you can temporarily change your faction to independent (IND), then dock at any station, sometimes for a fee. You can then later return to the original faction affiliation you started with.
I can do that in-game? I thought it could only be done in the "pilot select" area of the main menu... Is that right?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Correct, you can only do that in the pilot profile manager menu, but you can save where you want to start from with the new faction affiliation, exit to the profile manager, change the faction, then rejoin the game.
StarWraith 3D Games
marlowe221
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by marlowe221 »

I started as Federation, thinking I would try something a little different. They seem to start with control of a lot fewer systems than the Alliance - is that intended from a story perspective or is there some element of randomness to the controlling faction in some of the disputed territories? Maybe one start is intended to be more challenging than the other?
robberer
Ensign
Ensign

Post by robberer »

Vice wrote:
Yes and yes. Use the rename option in the pilot profile manager to change faction (wait to do this until you've changed your save point in the game to a location that will be good for the new faction you choose). The territory quadrant map will help you keep track of territory control in 500X500 sector region blocks of the quadrant. You can gradually transition each block over time by attacking and destroying enemy spacecraft in the area, thus reducing their presence in the region and building your faction's control. This can be done in or out of contracts, depending on whether you build an allied command station module in the region or just start attacking on your own. Once you get a region down to 'disputed' control, you'll gradually have allied ships move in to start helping with the effort and joining in at contract waypoints.
This is great. Never i had expected such a depth from the Evochron game. And never had thought of using the "rename pilot" button to change my faction. I can't believe it. Things are getting better and better. 8) .

May I chime into this thread with another question ?

What if I play IND faction and kill all ALC/FDN ships in a system. I'm asking because i'm in H425. There absolutely nothing (buildings). Just me, myself and I and the station i've build. But ALC has 58% , FDN 41% Control. Uhh ? Can I turn this system into anarchy/lawless/outlaw ?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

They seem to start with control of a lot fewer systems than the Alliance - is that intended from a story perspective or is there some element of randomness to the controlling faction in some of the disputed territories? Maybe one start is intended to be more challenging than the other?
Federation space could be considered more challenging in some ways, charted system control does favor the Alliance slightly. There are some unique options though in Federation space. How the territory control changes over time can be random, depending on what simulation options you select when you start your profile. But initially, a fixed structure of region control is establish at the beginning.
What if I play IND faction and kill all ALC/FDN ships in a system. I'm asking because i'm in H425. There abolutly nothing (buildings). Just me, myself and I and the station i've build. But ALC has 58% , FDN 41% Control. Uhh ? Can I turn this system into anarchy/lawless/outlaw ?
The control factor is based on ship presence, so the more ALC/FDN ships you destroy, the less their control will be over time. Uncharted regions are included in the territory control map, even though there may be fewer ships and fewer city/station structures. But yes, you can still alter the control in those areas, best done efficiently as an ALC or FDN allied player and then by building an allied station there and beginning combat operations. IND isn't really geared toward being a dedicated combat option, it's more for players interested in operating independently of the factions in battle, being able to dock just about anywhere and performing trade, exploration, and resource/mining activities.
StarWraith 3D Games
marlowe221
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by marlowe221 »

Vice wrote: Federation space could be considered more challenging in some ways, charted system control does favor the Alliance slightly. There are some unique options though in Federation space. How the territory control changes over time can be random, depending on what simulation options you select when you start your profile. But initially, a fixed structure of region control is establish at the beginning.
I actually like that the two faction starts are so different from each other. It adds variety. Also, the Federation start has a feeling of being out on the frontier in a way that the Alliace start doesn't; Pearl is a lot more developed and "civilized" in a way.

But you mentioned unique opportunities in FDN space... Like what? (No spoilers please, just a hint or 3 to get me started!)
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

But you mentioned unique opportunities in FDN space... Like what? (No spoilers please, just a hint or 3 to get me started!)
That can be tricky :) I'll start by saying there are some unique locations in that space that offer some direct benefits to what you can do and/or build. There are often comparable options in ALC space, but FDN space has some accessibility and location attributes that are fairly unique. I can also recommend investing in a deploy constructor when you can afford one and learn how to use sensor arrays (that can also go for any space you play in).
StarWraith 3D Games
marlowe221
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by marlowe221 »

Vice wrote:
That can be tricky :) I'll start by saying there are some unique locations in that space that offer some direct benefits to what you can do and/or build. There are often comparable options in ALC space, but FDN space has some accessibility and location attributes that are fairly unique. I can also recommend investing in a deploy constructor when you can afford one and learn how to use sensor arrays (that can also go for any space you play in).
Very cryptic! I wasn't much of a builder in EM so I guess I've never really given the various considerations much thought before. I will keep my eyes peeled though.

I've never used a sensor array either but I think that might have to be my next short term goal....

Edit: I know a sensor array can help find the Evochron version of "buried treasure" in the void of space but can it also detect planets/etc. when searching for uncharted systems?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Sensor arrays are local devices designed to scan a 50K X 50K X 50K section of space, good for small items that don't appear on nav sensors nor are recorded in the navigation console database. So for 'hidden' objects and small out of range objects, sensor arrays come in handy.
StarWraith 3D Games