Crashing with custom music

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Aion45
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Aion45 »

Hi! when i run EL with custom music the game will crash at random intervals,, without the custom music and folder it works fine...
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Going to need a lot more information in order to try and diagnose what is happening:

- What OGG format are you using in the custom music?
- What does the Windows error log indicate (failing module name)?
- Are you including a full three sets of songs for each group, one song for each threat level?
- Are there any error messages displayed at the crash event?

If these check out, we can arrange to have you send me the music files you are trying to import and I should be able to determine more.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Aion45
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Aion45 »

Hi! just says "Evochron Legacy has stopped working" unfortunately the more details tab does not contain any information that could be used to fix the issue.. actually after it happened a few times i removed the modded content/folders that i had created returning them to the game directory one by one then starting the game.. As i had a feeling that it was something there that was causing the issue, after much experimentation i discovered it was the music folder with the custom tunes..

The tunes are .ogg format, 22050 Hz Yes! i set up and created the custom music folder precisely to the specifications found in the CustomKit documentation..

Anyway i found a solution i just turn down the in game music load up vlc player with my custom tunes and run the game. happy times. but just thought i should mention the issue.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

If you post the files you are trying to use on a file hosting site like DropBox, I can take a look and probably determine what is happening.
StarWraith 3D Games
Aion45
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Aion45 »

A small note i have found that my custom music works with evochron mercenary flawlessly but evochron Legacy the tunes seem to cause issues... strange? but as discussed this could be due to many reasons and not particularly the fault of the game engine, actually i'm certain it's an issue i have caused due to heavily modifying the game..
Q Who?
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Crashing with custom music

Post by Q Who? »

Sorry for necro-ing that thread, but I have exactly the same problem with custom music.

The music is self-encoded with vorbis (via Foobar) at 160kbps. I have 99 sets of 3 each (double checked everything, so the filenames are fine, there is nothing missing), basically the entire X3 soundtrack.

Now, the crash happens when I exit the game - or more specifically, the cockpit. It usually does not crash when I exit from the pilot selection or startup screen and it normally only crashes when at least one song finished playing and the game switched to a new one.

This is what Windows says about the crash (yes, a bit vague, but eap155.dll seems to be part of the DarkBasic engine, so it's maybe not even the application's fault). The error indicates a fairly common access violation, maybe some sort of buffer overrun.

Code: Select all

Faulting application name: EvochronLegacy.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x566d9a27
Faulting module name: eap155.dll, version: 1.5.5.0, time stamp: 0x487e344d
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00002604
Faulting process id: 0x990
Faulting application start time: 0x01d27ef493445416
Faulting application path: C:\sw3dg\EvochronLegacy\EvochronLegacy.exe
Faulting module path: c:\temp\dbpdata\eap155.dll
Report Id: 2147f3cc-eaeb-11e6-8264-823b684e504c
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 
It's not easy to find the offending OGG, because while I do know the names of the song, i cannot find out what musiclevel*.ogg is playing.

I do believe, it's not related to a specific song anyway, because crashes happened with different songs playing at the time I tried to exit the game.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying this game tremendously. I'm quite new to Legacy (did know Legends and Mercenary a bit before, but never played anything apart from X while it was still great). Still very new and trying to find out things though.

For now, I have disabled ingame music and play it externally via Foobar. It doesn't give the threatlevel feature, but as a total noob I play IND and don't fight that much :)
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Crashing with custom music

Post by Vice »

I'd be interested in a list of the song filenames in the \music folder you are using and a msinfo report on the system: http://www.starwraith.com/evochronlegacy/faq.htm#208 Both can be sent to me via e-mail (starwraith.com > contact). If you can provide the files themselves on dropbox or something, I can test them out as well. When I've looked into this in the past, there have been incorrect filenames somewhere along the way or insufficient memory resources on the system.

Additionally, you can place the attached file inside the game's install folder and it will switch music modes over to a traditional sound index. The drawback to this is that there will be a pronounced pause any time the music changes, but it may be able to help with further troubleshooting as a different error may display with this mode that may help pin down where the issue might be.
Attachments
musicmode.txt
(14 Bytes) Downloaded 96 times
StarWraith 3D Games