Razer Hydra - STEM - Controller Support Discussion (Help Wanted)

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Razer Hydra - STEM - Controller Support Discussion (Help Wanted)

Post by Misunderstood Wookie »

About this thread.
This discussion is about integration & supporting the Razer Hydra and subsequently the STEM series of wireless motion controllers for Mercarancy and Legacy.

What this thread is not!
This thread is not about discussing whether or not motion controllers should be supported by the developer and or other types of motion support. If Vice chooses to pick up the task of using the SDK to natively integrate the controller then great if not I don't wish to push the subject here.

Controller's in question
Razer Hyrdra
Sixense STEM

Ever since update 1.0198 bringing the ability to control horizontal and vertical pilot view with axis inputs. I have been looking at my Hydra controller and pondering if it was worth the time to use the Motion Creator to fully integrate all logical axis's and navigational binds with the ability of the these devices natively having Joystick\\Analog outputs by motion and in the my specific case using the Hydra five buttons including an bumper button and trigger on both the left and right hand devices.

It seems fitting at this stage given that these controllers have an advantage of being able to control six axis using just the motion support leaving the two analog thumbsticks unbound. Given this is the case I am now almost certain it would be possible using either the Motion Creator or SDK to bind the yaw and pitch via motion while roll is done by the thumb stick on one controller and on the other the motion will control pilot view. I am also curious as to the extent this could be done in the software to create a yaw into a yaw roll depending on the speed of the motion sensitivity detected. It goes without saying for owners of either device that these are more than capable of taking over mouse aim as well and in some cases the precision is better than a real mouse.

This leaves me with a few queries, one of which is does anybody actually want this? and does anyone else here besides me own one of these devices wants to test any work I do to make it happen. Given the game already supports RIFT I see it fitting it supports some form of motion control. There are a numbers of ways to bind such devices and this is why this here thread was created to discuss how such should work. One of the ways of those familiar to owners of the Hydra would be to bind the center unmarked button under the thumbstick to macro for ALT + mouse control.

I am interested in people's thoughts and if enough support is raised I will work on developing a couple profiles for Legacy

Notes:Anyone wishing to contribute or help read the following.
Current download of Motion Creator as of writing is 3544 however the forums have a new beta build version 3545 just click this url link which fixes flight mode support Be sure if that the software is running as administrator or you will have layout issues.

[Edited on 2/22/2016 by Misunderstood Wookie]