error 87

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

error 87

Post by Ohsirus »

Been trying for about an hour now. Tried a different mirror download. Windows 7 x 64, 6 GB ddr3, gtx 480 newest drivers.

I have restored my pc to my pre-hardrive wipe state and reinstalled everything with the exception of windows update kb981852. Once I install it EM will not execute, once I uninstall it, it runs perfectly. I have verified it 5 times with the same results. info below:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/securi ... xMicrosoft Security Bulletin MS10-047 - Important
Vulnerabilities in Windows Kernel Could Allow Elevation of Privilege (981852)
Published: August 10, 2010

Version: 1.0

General Information
Executive Summary
This security update resolves several privately reported vulnerabilities in Microsoft Windows. The most severe of these vulnerabilities could allow elevation of privilege if an attacker logged on locally and ran a specially crafted application. An attacker must have valid logon credentials and be able to log on locally to exploit these vulnerabilities. The vulnerabilities could not be exploited remotely or by anonymous users.

This security update is rated Important for Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008; and Moderate for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. For more information, see the subsection, Affected and Non-Affected Software, in this section.

The security update addresses the vulnerabilities by correcting Windows kernel object initialization and validation of access control lists and by introducing additional runtime validation to the thread creation mechanism. For more information about the vulnerabilities, see the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) subsection for the specific vulnerability entry under the next section, Vulnerability Information.

Recommendation. The majority of customers have automatic updating enabled and will not need to take any action because this security update will be downloaded and installed automatically. Customers who have not enabled automatic updating need to check for updates and install this update manually. For information about specific configuration options in automatic updating, see Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 294871.

For administrators and enterprise installations, or end users who want to install this security update manually, Microsoft recommends that customers apply the update at the earliest opportunity using update management software, or by checking for updates using the Microsoft Update service.

See also the section, Detection and Deployment Tools and Guidance, later in this bulletin.

Known Issues. None

[Edited on 9-25-2010 by Ohsirus]
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

error 87

Post by Ohsirus »

Oh yeah AV not enabled also. COmpatibility mode, No UAC., no taskbar programs..still nothing.

[Edited on 9-17-2010 by Ohsirus]
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

error 87

Post by Ohsirus »

Still working on it, reinstalled Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package , directx, nothing. :( Well night all, hopefully I'll be playing tomorrow.

[Edited on 9-17-2010 by Ohsirus]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

error 87

Post by Vice »

Not sure on this one yet, I'd like to review your setup to get started: http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmercenary/faq.htm#8
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

error 87

Post by Ohsirus »

Fresh install size on disk 246 MB (258,260,992 bytes)
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

error 87

Post by Marvin »

:cool: I got the same thing on a new computer running W7 ... nearly took a Louisville Slugger to it. Gave the computer to my son (he put the computer together anyway) and it's working like a charm for him (too bad he can only play in Demo mode).
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

error 87

Post by Ohsirus »

Anybody know any switches I could try to add? -debug -test - -safe, etc?

[Edited on 9-18-2010 by Ohsirus]
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

error 87

Post by Ohsirus »

Just attempted to run it from the command prompt to see what I would get. i7 CPU K 875

"The system cannot execute the specified program" :(

I can't be the only one with an i7 Win7x64 with a problem. My laptop running win7x32 and virtually same background problems is able to execute it.

Blackthorne
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

error 87

Post by Blackthorne »

Well, I run the full game on Win 7x64, and it runs just fine. So I think we can rule out the operating system. The rig is based on an Intel Quadcore Q8300, though.

-Blackthorne
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

error 87

Post by Ohsirus »

Thanks Blackthorne, so weird It like my OS doesn't recognize it as a valid executable.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

error 87

Post by DaveK »

Hi

I'm using W7x64 with no problems as well - with an Intel i5 four core processor
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Von Paulus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

error 87

Post by Von Paulus »

I have a similar problem when I'm running with RadeonPro profiling the ATI graphic settings for the game.
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

error 87

Post by 49rTbird »

Originally posted by Ohsirus
Just attempted to run it from the command prompt to see what I would get. i7 CPU K 875

"The system cannot execute the specified program" :(

I can't be the only one with an i7 Win7x64 with a problem. My laptop running win7x32 and virtually same background problems is able to execute it.

I run on my HP DV7 with an i7 and Win 7 Pro 64 with no problems. It may be a long shot but have you tried running the program as Administrator?
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

error 87

Post by Vice »

Just as something else to try, install the latest C++ redistributable and .NET updates.
StarWraith 3D Games
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

error 87

Post by Ohsirus »

Originally posted by Vice
Just as something else to try, install the latest C++ redistributable and .NET updates.
Tried it, same results. Rolled back Video Card driver, same result. Tried a generic VGA driver , same results. I would be happy with a load/crash, but I can't get it to even attempt to run.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

error 87

Post by Vice »

Been talking with someone who may have been using a pre-release installer somehow. I'll post results and other ideas as they become available. Stay tuned...
StarWraith 3D Games
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

error 87

Post by Ohsirus »

Just deleted every entry in the registry, still nothing. Reinstalled, "Can'tcreate process code 87 after installation. Parameter not correct thereafter. Disabled USB Devices, still won't load. Oddly enough it will load under VMWARE WINXPSP3 appliance :( at 55fps none the less.
BaRtUc
Ensign
Ensign

error 87

Post by BaRtUc »

Same problem here (Win7x64, catalyst 10.9, latest C++ , .NET and DirectX updates)

Which means "The parameter is incorrect"
Nothing changes using administrator rights or compatibility mode
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

error 87

Post by Vice »

There seems to be a pre-release build floating around that may cause this on some systems. Just download the game from either starwraith.com or moddb.com, then run the installer and install to the same folder, then launch the game.
StarWraith 3D Games
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

error 87

Post by Marvin »

:cool: I just tried installing on two other computers ... one Vista and one Win7 64bit laptop. Installed both times as administrator and had no trouble launching or playing the game (just finished testing on MMaggio's server). I'm not sure, but maybe the key was installing as admin.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

error 87

Post by Vice »

I was able to get some details from a user who encountered the problem and from that, there seems to be an issue with an older installer, a pre-release build. Downloading from starwraith.com directly and/or moddb.com fixed the issue for them.
StarWraith 3D Games
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

error 87

Post by Ohsirus »

I was able to get some details from a user who encountered the problem and from that, there seems to be an issue with an older installer, a pre-release build. Downloading from starwraith.com directly and/or moddb.com fixed the issue for them.
Did that a lil bit earlier today. Symptoms remain.
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

error 87

Post by Ohsirus »

Originally posted by Marvin
:cool: I just tried installing on two other computers ... one Vista and one Win7 64bit laptop. Installed both times as administrator and had no trouble launching or playing the game (just finished testing on MMaggio's server). I'm not sure, but maybe the key was installing as admin.
Tried that numerous times, shapes, and forms.:(
BaRtUc
Ensign
Ensign

error 87

Post by BaRtUc »

Originally posted by Ohsirus
Did that a lil bit earlier today. Symptoms remain.
Same here :(
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

error 87

Post by Ohsirus »

Originally posted by BaRtUc
Same problem here (Win7x64, catalyst 10.9, latest C++ , .NET and DirectX updates)

Which means "The parameter is incorrect"
Nothing changes using administrator rights or compatibility mode
What Cpu/Ram u have and which edition of win64? I'm running Ultimate.