[EL 1.0728] Server not on Public List *INFO*

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Goatnado386
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

[EL 1.0728] Server not on Public List *INFO*

Post by Goatnado386 »

I have the server config set to allow for it. The router and the firewall both allow and direct incoming connections on the default ports for TCP and UDP to the server. When I start the server and connect it even lights up green saying it's publicly listed. However, when I go home and look for it on my game it isn't listed. Am I forgetting something simple? I can connect to the server across the Internet if I put the IP address in so I'm kind of confused.
Last edited by Goatnado386 on Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Server not on Public List

Post by Vice »

ncc386 wrote:I have the server config set to allow for it. The router and the firewall both allow and direct incoming connections on the default ports for TCP and UDP to the server. When I start the server and connect it even lights up green saying it's publicly listed. However, when I go home and look for it on my game it isn't listed. Am I forgetting something simple? I can connect to the server across the Internet if I put the IP address in so I'm kind of confused.
The different games have different criteria for listing. It will help if you specify which game you are attempting to list your server for. One requires manual approval, the other specific configuration conditions and a signal check. Please follow the posting guidelines for this section of the forum: http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtop ... =26&t=4651

If EM, you'll need to contact me following the instructions here: http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmerce ... nloads.htm

If EL, the listing system must receive a signal back from your server or the listing will fail. The server program will report this issue to you in the message log if no signal reply is received. If the problem persists, then simply contact me via e-mail for support (starwraith.com > contact) with your text8.dat configuration file attached and IP address details for your server.

Edit: Thanks for updating the post with more info. So it's likely something blocking the signal check, which also indicates outside players would run into the same problem when they attempt to connect to your server. So if the problem persists, simply contact me with the details and I can look into it further for you.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Goatnado386
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Re: [EL 1.0728] Server not on Public List

Post by Goatnado386 »

Sorry, corrected. I'm guessing there's an oversight with either Windows Firewall or the piece of crap router from my ISP. The EL server config file is really straightforward. I'll take another look at the router and firewall tomorrow and if I can't see a problem, I'll email you. Thanks!
Goatnado386
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Goatnado386 »

Okay, I double-checked the Windows Firewall and it has all traffic from the EL server executable allowed to pass through. I disabled the firewall in the router. I have the flag in the server config file set to go public and the server UI still shows that it's supposedly public (green). I'll email a copy of my server file. Maybe there's something simple that I'm just failing to see. Thanks!
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Did you manually forward the required ports to the LAN IP of the system you are hosting with in the router? That way, all traffic is directed to the hosting computer directly (with no need to disable a firewall or other security measure). I'll watch for your e-mail and can then run some tests as long as the server is running.
StarWraith 3D Games
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

It appears the issue traces back to an invalid server name (too many characters), which the listing system won't accept. Here is an excerpt from the instructions with guidance on selecting a server name that the listing system will accept:

"... Also, the server program will not add your game to the public online list of games until you enter a non-default name, use a short enough name (14 or fewer characters), have properly configured the text8.dat file for hosting over the internet, and have properly configured your modem/firewall/router to accept connections from other players over the internet..."
StarWraith 3D Games
Goatnado386
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Re: [EL 1.0728] Server not on Public List *INFO*

Post by Goatnado386 »

Thank you, Vice! My permanent server is now online and working!