[EL] on linux with wine... close to perfection! (Saitek X52) *INFO*

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
fredebec
Ensign
Ensign

[EL] on linux with wine... close to perfection! (Saitek X52) *INFO*

Post by fredebec »

Hi,

I have installed EL on linux (Arch) with the last version of wine and I am happy to report that, with only minor tweaking, everything works perfectly!
So, I decided to open a dedicated page on winehq (https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=35739), because I know that linux dramatically lack this kind of good quality Space Simulators...

But coming to the need for technical support...
The only thing which don't work is my Saitek X52 joystick. It is recognized by the game, all the buttons are functionning, but the axes don't (nothing move).

I know that the game is windows only and that linux is not supported, but I thought that if the problem is minor and maybe not so hard to solve, it could be interresting to have a look at it... Having EL working the way it works today on linux and with a fully functionnal joystick would be a little game changer.

Oh, and as an information, the joystick by itself works just fine with wine (tested with JoyToKey), so it seems to be related to EL...

So, Vice, if you have some time to look at time, it would be really great!
Thanks.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: EL on linux with wine... close to perfection!

Post by Vice »

It would be a mystery to me why axis inputs wouldn't work, the game only utilizes standard DirectInput functionality and I'm entirely unfamiliar with how any Linux system might try to emulate that kind of Windows-only system.

You might want to check with _-Caleb-_ (via PM or perhaps if he sees this thread) on the forum though, he apparently has it working just fine on whatever build of Linux he is using and collection of settings/files. And that includes a ThrustMaster HOTAS setup. He's the resident expert on trying to get the games to run on Linux (including back to Mercenary via Ubuntu Mate Using PlayOnLinux and Wine 1.9, see his YouTube video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKNi6f9tdDc ). I think he's also mentioned working on some scripts for PlayOnLinux.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
_-Caleb-_
Captain
Captain

Post by _-Caleb-_ »

Hola, i can try those days and post the result of the tests.

Maybe is the DirectInput library issue?

And Maybe AntiMicro is a good option for that reason (Is like JoyToKey for Gnu/Linux)

EDIT: Now im playing in Ubuntu Budgie 17.04 with the last wine version.

Regards!
fredebec
Ensign
Ensign

Post by fredebec »

Hi -Caleb-,
Thanks for joining this discussion.

Indeed, except for the X52 issue, everything is running flawlessly with the last version of wine.

For the X52, it is a little bit strange. It works with JoyToKey (or the "Control" command in wine), axes, buttons, everything... In EL, the X52 is recognized (it is seen in the Axis Configuration screen), the buttons are working, but axes don't work. In fact, I think they are detected, because in the Axis Configuration screen, every axes of the joystick have their cursor completely on the left (and don't react), when other inactive axes have their curson in the midle...

I suspected also a DirectInput issue, but when I use winetricks native DInput8, the X52 is no more recognized neither by EL, nor by JoyToKey (when I use DInput, the game crash).

I am still investigating some wine options...

PS: Thank you Vice for having taken the time to answer to my post.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

For reference, what driver version specifically are you trying to use on Linux for the X52? There are likely a lot of layers and dependencies to consider and that might be a helpful variable to include in the mix.

Method of install and settings for those external factors might also be considerations. Have you tried using PlayOnLinux like Caleb did?

Interested to see what discoveries you might find on this.
StarWraith 3D Games
fredebec
Ensign
Ensign

Post by fredebec »

The driver linux uses is the one directly integrated in Arch Linux: hid-saitek.ko (/usr/lib/modules/4.12.12-1-ARCH/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-saitek.ko.gz).
With wine, I tried to install different versions of the X52 driver, but install crash systematically.

I also tried PlayOnLinux, but I have the exact same results.
So, no progress for now...
fredebec
Ensign
Ensign

Post by fredebec »

Ok, so still no success with the X52 and EL.

But I am not sure I can do anything more from my side.

It is an issue specific to Legacy, because I tried with Mercenary and the X52 works flawlessly, buttons and axes alike... I also test another flight game (FlightGear) and it also works. All with the exact same versions of linux and wine.

So, I don't know what to try next. If you have any idea... ?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Not sure why it wouldn't work either, anything could go wrong on a platform that a game or program was never written for... anything from the device to the driver to the API to the game itself. Legacy uses a dedicated DirectInput system while Mercenary used an older 'winmm' type interface (which due to certain limitations, a complete rewrite of a new DI control system was developed for Legacy).

One possibility is to enable the old control system in the new game, which is still an option. Your success with Mercenary suggests this might work with Legacy as well. I would still recommend the new control system wherever possible as it has more configuration options, supports a wider range of devices/inputs, and is more inline with more current control mechanisms in Windows. There may also be new/different problems when trying to use the old control system that the game is no longer designed to work with. But to enable the old control system, create a text file in the game's install folder with the filename:

deviceinputold.txt

You can put something like 'enable' in the first line, but it doesn't really matter. Only the presence of the file is needed. This will disable the DirectInput system and enable the old system used in Mercenary. You will likely need to remap controls, although the buttons might still be lined up. This option isn't really supported in Legacy, but you can give it a try to see if control response is any different on Linux with that system.
StarWraith 3D Games
fredebec
Ensign
Ensign

Post by fredebec »

Hi Vice,

Thank you very much, it works !!! The X52 is functional, just like in Mercenary.
And for now I didn't identify any drawbacks or new problems.

In the meantime, I tested the JoystickConfig.exe (did'nt think about it before) and obviously had the same issue (I gess it uses the new DI system). I have taken a screenshot for you to see the X52 behavior.
It is not so relevant anymore, but here it is, just in case it is helpful somehow...
Capture d’écran_2017-09-14_22-59-11.png
Capture d’écran_2017-09-14_22-59-11.png (35.69 KiB) Viewed 2781 times
Thanks again, for your help and this great game!

Fredebec
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Glad that worked! Thanks for the follow up and info.
StarWraith 3D Games