[EL 1.0578] RenderBase in vrsetup.txt *FIXED*

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Delta99
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

[EL 1.0578] RenderBase in vrsetup.txt *FIXED*

Post by Delta99 »

It doesn't seem like RenderBase setting in vrsetup.txt file seems to work any longer. Note, I haven't played in a few versions so not sure when it broke or if I am doing something incorrect. I am setting it to 1 so as to display to my main monitor as well as the HMD.

I was hoping to create some video's but as of now unless this is working I have no way to record video using OBS unless there is some sort of trick I am not aware of.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [EL 1.0578] RenderBase in vrsetup.txt

Post by Vice »

It may indeed not be working if something else has changed externally to impact functionality. And that's part of why the VR system isn't supported as a whole. Only recommendations I can offer at this point is to verify the filename for the vrsetup.txt file is correct, the order of options is unchanged in that file, and it's in the correct (install) folder. If those check out, then it may indeed be lost/broken functionality.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

I set some time aside to test the RenderBase option and it worked fine for me (Vive) and I could see the scene view from the HMD's perspective on the main monitor when set to 1. So I'd suggest checking the criteria I listed above to see if one or more may be a factor.

I did notice an unrelated value mismatch in the instructions for the vrsetup.txt file though. It says you can leave the HeadMScale value to 0 for the default 3.4 value, but for now, it will need to be manually set to 3.4 to allow for proper head movement. The next update will change this to allow for 0 to be used for the default 3.4 value.
StarWraith 3D Games
Delta99
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Delta99 »

I notice you mention the install folder and not C:\sw3dg where it looks as if all the settings and such are stored. This is also where I have edited vrsetup.txt file before because that is the only location I have it in and its not in the game install folder.

Maybe this has changed since I messed with this stuff ages ago.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

As with a few other user created config file options, the vrsetup.txt file needs to go in the install folder rather than the save data folder. If the install folder is the same as the save data folder (as is typical of a default install of the direct download version), then the folder will be the same. If a different install path is used, then the vrsetup.txt file location needs to match.
StarWraith 3D Games
Delta99
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Delta99 »

Well this is odd then. There is no way I was editing this vrsetup.txt file in my install path (steam version) a few months back because it doesn't exist there and I could tell by the date that it was in the c:\sw3dg location.

There also seems to be a sw3dg folder in my documents as well with a few files updated there as well. So what gives? When you say save data folder where should that be? It looks like I have two locations with files being updated in both!!!!
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Not sure why the file would have been originally placed in the save data folder, would be good to keep a copy there as a backup, but it won't have an effect on the game in that location if the install location is different.

With the Steam version of the game, there are two \sw3dg folders. There is the main 'master' save data folder used for primary read/write access for save games and setting files. Then there is an additional \sw3dg folder in the documents path that is kept for Steam's cloud save operations. It is used as a backup location by Steam for preserving save games and comparing files for restoration/backup/recopying as may be needed. You'll find the only files kept in the Steam save data documents folder are the save games (pilot*.sw), flightlogs, maplogs, and engineering/shipyard templates (basically save files for gameplay progress rather than setting files).
StarWraith 3D Games
Delta99
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Delta99 »

Ok, I figured out the mystery. It seems I did have a vrsetup.TEST file in the install folder. I must have renamed it to .TEST from .txt after I was testing months ago but failed to find it cause I was looking for .txt files i n the install folder. Then found it in c:\sw3dg and figured that was the one it was using. I must have put it there ages ago first but then messed with the one in the install directory.

So, all in all I was able to turn on the RenderBase and record again.