[EL 1.0488] Ignores HAT/POV on second controller *FIXED 1.0518*

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Keeper1st
Ensign
Ensign

[EL 1.0488] Ignores HAT/POV on second controller *FIXED 1.0518*

Post by Keeper1st »

Discovered this game yesterday and went through all the tutorials today. I see a lot of playtime in my future...

However, when setting up controls, I found something odd: While it recognizes the high-numbered buttons on my second controller in the setup screens, those buttons actually are ignored once in the game.

My first controller is my joystick, a Logitech Wingman 3D. The second controller is my racing setup, a Logitech G27, whose shifter buttons I'm wanting to map. The lower-numbered buttons (1-4) work just fine. However, buttons 16-19 and the four buttons of the POVHAT don't work in game, even though the game's keymapper recognizes them just fine. It may be a similar issue to an older racing sim I have where it simply doesn't recognize more than I think 12 buttons on a single controller. But in this case it's weird because the setup routine sees the buttons; it's just the game itself that doesn't.

Also, a question: When ICS is disabled, is it possible to have the joystick's throttle axis control the forward thruster (or both forward and reverse thrusters if using full-range mode, which I don't)? It's rather annoying to have the throttle control suddenly do nothing when ICS is disabled. I'm out of convenient buttons so my only thruster control besides maneuvering is the afterburner and reverse+afterburner buttons when ICS is disabled. It'd be nice to have a less aggressive option. I might just have to switch to having afterburner on the throttle control, and switch my afterburner button into the forward thruster button. Less desirable, though.

I do hope the ship designs will be adjusted so that they actually have a visible reverse thruster. It looks silly to have the forward thrusters firing when actually the reverse thruster is being applied -- especially as all the maneuvering thrusters have correct counter-thrust fires!
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [EL 1.0488] Ignores high-numbered buttons on second (any?) controller

Post by Vice »

The game supports up to 40 buttons per control device. So if it's not picking higher number buttons on one, I'm not sure what it would be. But if you see them register in the key/button configuration menu, then they will also register in the game (uses the same system). I have a G27 also, so I'll test for those control inputs. Also, be sure to map them as desired, including selecting the device at the top of the menu before mapping a button to a control function.

Yes, you can map the forward/reverse inertial thruster control to the same axis you use for IDS on throttle control. Just bind it on the same axis channel in the axis configuration menu.

Edit: I tested the G27 shifter buttons (top four black buttons above the HAT/POV are buttons 16 and up), worked fine for me once mapped.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Keeper1st
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Keeper1st »

For some reason mapping the shifter's HAT to the Strafe thrusters doesn't seem to work. Maybe I didn't notice the upper buttons not working (I set them to shield boosts). Were you able to get the shifter's HAT to work?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

I'll try that also. But did you set the HAT control mode to the correct device listing? If you are setting the HAT control mode to one of the dedicated options (ie strafe thrusters), you need to also set it to the device you want to use, if you have more than one device plugged in. It's selected in the same menu.

Edit: confirmed, the G27's HAT/POV on the shifter works fine for dedicated HAT control modes when the G27 is in device ID 2.
StarWraith 3D Games
Keeper1st
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Keeper1st »

OK, I tested it and indeed the top buttons do work, but the HAT "buttons" are ignored, even though I can assign them as buttons in the configurator. Setting them via the main settings causes them to work, but then the joystick's own HAT stops working (which I want to use as view looks). I don't see how to have two HAT switches -- one on each controller -- doing separate things.

I didn't realize that the throttle could be mapped to more than one thing in the bindings. Thanks for that. There is a problem, though, when not using full-range mode (which I don't). If I have the throttle at zero (technically the fully negative value) then turn off IDS, it instantly becomes full reverse thrust. The ideal setup would be for it to follow the "rules" of the "Full Range" checkbox, so when unchecked it behaves similar to the IDS mode per se, where zero is zero, and the Reverse button plus throttle is used when desiring reverse thrust.
Last edited by Keeper1st on Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keeper1st
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Keeper1st »

This is interesting. I somehow now can get one HAT to do BOTH strafe and snap views simultaneously, but cannot get a second HAT to do anything. It's one HAT or the other.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

The forward/reverse thruster control is an absolute control, so reverse is always available when that control is mapped to an axis. You could probably see the potential confusion players might have if forward/reverse was mapped, but half of that equation wasn't available at any point/time. Instead, forward/reverse always provides forward/reverse while 'set throttle' can be adjusted to do either. Hence, for consistent action, full range can be enabled to align with forward/reverse. Or, the player can just set the throttle where they want to control thrusters just prior to disabling the IDS.

You can set a dedicated HAT control mode to one primary function. Have you tried setting the HAT control mode where you want it (ID 1 for snap view for example), then map the HAT inputs on device 2 in the key/button menu to do whatever else you want?

Edit: Ran into an issue with this myself when trying to map multiple bindings across multiple control devices. I am now looking into ways to solve it.
StarWraith 3D Games
Keeper1st
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Keeper1st »

Yeah, the behavior is weird. It seems the mapper assumes both HATs are the same thing.

Disappointing about the thruster use though. If one is at a stop close to an object then wants to disable IDS to maneuver around slowly, one doesn't want to have the thruster suddenly on, nor does one want to hit the forward thruster prior to disabling IDS (by trying quickly to set the throttle from zero to zero, i.e. fully down to middle position).

But I guess what I could do is map my shifter to the inertial forward/reverse. Pull back on the stick (4th gear) for forward and push forward (3rd gear) for reverse. That doesn't seem like such a bad idea actually, since if the HAT switch issues are sorted, it would put all directional translation thrusters next to one another.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

I'll be working on a solution for the multiple HAT's across multiple devices for the next update. If you'd like advanced access to a test build with the changes, send me a quick e-mail in a day or two and I can provide a download link once it's ready.
StarWraith 3D Games
Keeper1st
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Keeper1st »

Well, I should buy the full version first, eh...! Deciding whether to use the Steam edition or not... Any advantages other than the Steam accomplishments? Modding works the same way?

Oh, something I didn't see in any pages or text files yet. Is there a way to specify the refresh rate? Does it use whatever you have set for Windows? I have a 144Hz monitor, so want to make sure the game is making the most of it.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Some enjoy the auto-updating, cloud saving, and social linking of Steam. So it's probably just what you prefer in that regard. But modding works the same way, just the folder location is different for placing custom files (c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Evochron Legacy for Steam or c:\sw3dg\EvochronLegacy for the direct download version).

Edit: for your second question. No VSync is active by default, so unless you set the screen mode to an option that enables VSync, it will run up to the maximum the game can on your system. You can manually specify a maximum FPS, but I wouldn't recommend it if you just want maximum performance... better to stick with one of the No VSync modes.
StarWraith 3D Games