[EL 1.0488] Oculus Rift VR on and off *INFO*

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Delta99
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

[EL 1.0488] Oculus Rift VR on and off *INFO*

Post by Delta99 »

In this version On Oculus Rift the VR goes in and out mostly during the loading screens but seems to be any transitional screen. What I mean by in and out is that you get the game graphics and then it goes back to the Oculus Theatre or whatever blank white room (if you know what I mean). This happens for example when you click on a pilot name and hit load. For a second the white screen is shown then the game screen comes back into view. Same with all of the transitions during loading. Worst is during spaceship boot up. Pretty much just see a white screen for most of the time.

Also happened at some points during looking at the navigation map. I can't remember exactly when. Basically seems during any scene type transition.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [EL 1.0488] Oculus Rift VR on and off

Post by Vice »

It's had that behavior for me on a Rift DK2 for a long time, although perhaps they may have changed the delay wait behavior in an Oculus update. The VR side of things in the game itself hasn't changed with this update as it's functionally been the same for months now.

With Vive, we came up with an experimental multi-threaded system to hold things in place until a load operation or any other delay finishes. That system apparently doesn't work with the Rift side of things and never has for whatever reason(s). That issue, along with a few others, is why it remains an experimental option. If certain things are changed within SteamVR or future options become available that I can apply within the game, it's behavior/condition/status may change.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Delta99
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Delta99 »

Fair enough but I've never seen it before until this EL update. I'm pretty sure I tried the last EL update but not sure how long ago that was. There could have been a change in the Oculus software since I last tried but like I said I have never seen this before.

I see you are on top of it but thought I report it. I'm guessing this is an Oculus change that makes it much more apparent (or apparent at all since I never saw it before).
Vice wrote:It's had that behavior for me on a Rift DK2 for a long time, although perhaps they may have changed the delay wait behavior in an Oculus update. The VR side of things in the game itself hasn't changed with this update as it's functionally been the same for months now.

With Vive, we came up with an experimental multi-threaded system to hold things in place until a load operation or any other delay finishes. That system apparently doesn't work with the Rift side of things and never has for whatever reason(s). That issue, along with a few others, is why it remains an experimental option. If certain things are changed within SteamVR or future options become available that I can apply within the game, it's behavior/condition/status may change.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

For me, it was/is a version of the SteamVR room, rather than the Oculus white room. But it was otherwise just like you described. It may also just behave differently between an older DK2 and a CV1 and/or how SteamVR is launched/configured prior to activating the game (haven't checked my settings for that in a while). But regardless, it is indeed one of the hold ups for moving ahead with the VR mode. I have been forwarding information/requests to Valve for consideration, at least on the SteamVR/Vive side of the equation. Can't say if/when things will advance yet though.
StarWraith 3D Games
Delta99
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Delta99 »

Vice wrote:For me, it was/is a version of the SteamVR room, rather than the Oculus white room. But it was otherwise just like you described. It may also just behave differently between an older DK2 and a CV1 and/or how SteamVR is launched/configured prior to activating the game (haven't checked my settings for that in a while). But regardless, it is indeed one of the hold ups for moving ahead with the VR mode. I have been forwarding information/requests to Valve for consideration, at least on the SteamVR/Vive side of the equation. Can't say if/when things will advance yet though.
Hmmm, true, I'm not sure which "white room" it is. I think Oculus though. I'm also thoroughly confused in how SteamVR works with Oculus. Its always been a pain in the ass with some stuff starting up SteamVR and some stuff NOT starting up SteamVR. Lately much less stuff seems to require SteamVR and just goes directly to Oculus. Or at least that is the way it looks and some games have the option when you try to launch them whether you want SteamVR, Oculus, Vive, No VR. I have no clue how all that shit works together or doesn't!!! I think SteamVR is the culprit for a lot of issues and perhaps you can bypass it altogether. No clue.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

It'd be nice, but the VR system is entirely dependent on SteamVR at this point (with no practical split API route), so I'm kind of in a holding pattern to see what happens with it next.
StarWraith 3D Games