[EL] Runtime Error 118 just before launching (demo) *FIXED*

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Riebens
Ensign
Ensign

[EL] Runtime Error 118 just before launching (demo) *FIXED*

Post by Riebens »

Hi

I am evaluating the Demo for possible game purchase for myself and wife (ex freelancer players) , but I am having difficulties launching the ship from either the training or direct launch options.

The ship rises in the tunnel and just after the HUD switches on, the game crashes with a message Runtime Error 118 - Array does not exist or array subscript out of bounds at line 32694.

Starting "As Administrator" has the same issues...

I have searched the forum for similar messages but cannot find any.

All game settings are at default.
AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz Processor
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 610

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kind Regards
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Runtime Error 118 just before launching

Post by Vice »

Please follow the posting guidelines of this section of the forum.

First, which game are you trying the demo for?

Here are a few things to check:

- Which demo version are you trying (displayed in the main menu at the bottom next to 'v')?

- If you enter the Options menu (from the main menu), then click on the option to configure key and button controls, does the same error display?

- Do you have any game controllers plugged into the system? If so, which one(s)?

- Locate a file named keymap8.sw in the save data folder (default location is c:\sw3dg\EvochronLegacy), then either delete or rename the file to something like 'keymap8-bak.sw'. Restart the game to test for changes.

- Locate a file in the same folder named sw.cfg and also delete or rename it, then restart the game to test for changes.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Riebens
Ensign
Ensign

[EL] Re: Runtime Error 118 just before launching

Post by Riebens »

Hi

Sorry, I thought I had all the pertinent information, but I missed the actual game name and version.

- Evochron Legacy 10408

- Entering the config menu does not give the same error

- 5-Axis,12-Button with POV (Microsoft driver files)

- renamed the keymap8.sw and sw.cfg files and restarted game - It worked...

Thanks for an excellent looking game - will be playing the demo to get the feel for it ...

Have an excellent day/night
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Runtime Error 118 just before launching

Post by Vice »

Glad that worked and thanks for the follow up. I'll be implementing additional array checks for redundancy in that system. What may have happened is the game had been previously installed/run with an older version that set up the control configuration file a certain way, then later the 1.0408 build was installed and run with a different control device configuration (ie no device installed or a different order), which threw off the control template it expected. Then when it attempted to check for the POV value, there was a value mismatch somewhere that resulted in an out of array error. Probably a very rare scenario requiring a particular sequence of events (which is likely why is hasn't been posted about elsewhere), but regardless, the additional checks should sort that out for the next update.
StarWraith 3D Games
Riebens
Ensign
Ensign

Re: [EL] Runtime Error 118 just before launching (demo) *FIXED*

Post by Riebens »

First time ever i installed your games .

it's the /evochron_legacyb10408.rar file download from the http://evochron2.junholt.se/ website

Might be a wrong setting key on there...

Kind Regards
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [EL] Runtime Error 118 just before launching (demo) *FIXED*

Post by Vice »

Interesting. I guess one possible cause in that scenario would be if the driver you are using for the control device reported to the game the wrong POV total count (returning a 0 or something out of range over 10 instead of a 1). But why it would do so on a first start and then work fine after clearing the config files would be a mystery (the installer/download won't create the file(s), only the game will on a first start). Another possibility is the device/driver functioned correctly and something may have interrupted the write process when the game created the config files (such as interference from security software), resulting in a null/0/>10 value in the config file. That's about the only other causes that come to mind at the moment which could cause such as error to appear.

Edit: If you still have the old files around, I'd be curious to review them. Especially the sw.cfg file. Simply attached to an e-mail (starwraith.com > contact) would be great.

Edit X2: I was able to pin down the likely cause of the issue and have uploaded new builds, mirrors will likely follow soon. The corrected updated is live on Steam and for direct download players.
StarWraith 3D Games