[EL 1.0348] Windows 10 display scaling (blank screen or blurry/pixelated graphics) *INFO*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Destroy
Ensign
Ensign

[EL 1.0348] Windows 10 display scaling (blank screen or blurry/pixelated graphics) *INFO*

Post by Destroy »

Not sure if anything can be done but this game does not coexist well with Windows 10 display icon/text scaling.

If any Win10 display scaling is applied it makes EL look very aliased and appears to disable any applied anti-aliasing. At least it does on my system, I can not confirm this on other setups.

I actually assumed the games visuals were suppose to look like this as lesser graphics are a common complaint. With scaling off, wow, it makes the game look sharp, crisp and modern on my 4k TV monitor.

I'm guessing the developer is aware of this but just wanted to mention this as I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else.

Thanks for listening; outstanding game btw.

This game has PC sole and feel. I tire of console least common denominator theory applied to so many PC games nowadays. I'm sad I didn't find this game before I paid full price for a supposed elite competitor. <sic>
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Anti-aliasing, 4k and display scaling

Post by Vice »

That might occur when using the default full window mode with certain driver/device/display/resolution combos. On some setups, using an over sized scaling factor (over 100%) may make things look a bit strange (some configurations may not be able to render anything). The game is submitting to the over scaled parameters being applied, but the behavior and appearance could vary depending on the configuration. Switching to a Locked (FS) screen mode will force a fixed scaling and should make things look normal. The 'screen mode' setting is available in the main options menu and will require restarting the game to apply the change once a locked mode is selected.

Using the standard scaling level (marked with 'Recommended' in the Windows 10 display setting menu), which is generally 100% (1:1 pixel ratio), should also allow the game to scale correctly in any screen mode across the display being used.

For reference, what is the make, model, and driver version for the video card you are using? And what scaling value(s) have you tried? If you want to stick with an over 100% scaling level, simply switching the screen mode in the game to a locked mode should work.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Destroy
Ensign
Ensign

Re: [EL] Anti-aliasing, 4k and Windows 10 display scaling *INFO*

Post by Destroy »

Since going 4k, I've run into similar issues with other games too, usually older.
I've found the easiest solution is usually to set the programs shortcut properties Compatibility tab to tick the box labeled "Disable display scaling on high DPI setting".

Reference: EVGA GTX970 4Gig, 369.09 driver, Win10 Home ver.1608 build 14393.222, Vizio 50in. D50U-D1 and a KDS K915s, Windows scaling set to 200%.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [EL] Anti-aliasing, 4k and Windows 10 display scaling *INFO*

Post by Vice »

Yes, it also occurs with not just games, but other applications as well. In some programs, menu options may even leave the window frame and require scrolling to access (or have other accessibility problems). Over scaling can be handy if you are using a monitor with such high resolution, that the relatively small form factor size of the display makes text and other graphics too small for the distance you are viewing your monitor at. So to compensate for the problem, you can over scale things to blow them back up to sizes more like what you'd see on a lower resolution monitor. This can produce unwanted effects in games and programs.

The problem stems from Windows 10 trying to force a low resolution scale appearance in a high resolution environment (such as making your desktop look and feel like it's running at 1920X1080 instead of 3840X2160 so things are bigger and easier to see). Higher scaling percentage values (ie above 100%) emulate lower resolution output to enlarge text and other graphics for larger/magnified viewing on higher resolution monitors (that are capable of displaying in much finer detail). They do this because many of the 4K (and other high resolution) monitors/screens are so small in size relative to their resolution capability (most 4K monitors are 32-inches or less), that scaling has to be offset to make things look larger as though in lower resolution to be easier to see. Such offset scaling factors don't tend to work well with games and other software that is designed to work in a high resolution environment with an aligned 1:1 pixel ratio. When you try to force those games/programs to run as though they are in a lower resolution environment through the use of offset DPI scaling in Windows 10, it can result in blurry/low detail/pixelated graphics. And that's if it works at all. Some games won't even render under such conditions, displaying a blank screen with only the audio playing in the background (MechWarrior Online for example, which is one I've played and run into with this recently). And how a game/program behaves may vary depending on the system configuration and scaling factor being used.

All that needs to be done is to allow the game/program to operate in an aligned 1:1 pixel format at the high resolution your monitor is capable of. Many games provide ways to do this (including my game). So this game can adapt around the problem internally without having to use a compatibility mode option. Just switch the screen mode in the Options menu to 'Locked (FS) No Vsync' and it will force a 1:1 pixel ratio scale factor.

For reference, here are the three ways to solve the problem, including within the game itself as well as with Windows 10 settings:

Change screen mode to 'Locked (FS)'
- The game can force a 1:1 pixel scale level regardless of any over-scaling offset applied by Windows 10 using one of the 'Locked' screen modes. If the main menu is accessible to you, simply enter the Options menu and change the screen mode to a locked mode, then exit and restart the game. If you can't access the main menu because the screen is completely blank, you can extract the sw.cfg file from the attached zip file and place it in the save data folder for the game (default location is c:\sw3dg\EvochronLegacy), overwriting the file that is there, then launch the game to run it in a locked mode.

Change scaling level in Windows 10 to 100% or 'recommended' level
- Right click on the desktop, then left click on 'Display Settings', then adjust the slider to test different levels. For most systems, 100% will likely provide the desired graphics quality output. If you want to use an over-scaled level, change the screen mode instead as described in the previous solution.

Disable DPI scaling for any game/program you don't want it to apply for
- Right click on the desktop icon for the game or program you want to disable DPI scaling for. Then left click on 'Properties', then click on the Compatibility tab, then check the box next to 'Disable display scaling on high DPI settings', then click on Apply, then OK. You can then launch the game/program without the offset scaling applied.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations