[EL 1.0348] Game Doesn't Start. *FIXED*

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Chocolate Chin
Ensign
Ensign

[EL 1.0348] Game Doesn't Start. *FIXED*

Post by Chocolate Chin »

Hi.

When the game first came out it ran fine. Due to time restrictions and one thing or another I've not been able to play. I tried playing today but the game won't start, but loads as a background process.
  • OS - Windows 10 (anniversary Update)
    CPU - Intel i5
    GFX - Geforce 970 GTX (368.81)
    Mem - 16gb
I've tried disabling/removing Geforce Experience (inc shadowplay, nvstream, etc). Disabling Steam Overlay, running as Admin, disabled DPI scaling (set at 100% anyway), compatability mode (win 7/8), disabling virus protection, disabling windows defender, uninstalled, reinstalled, verified files, etc Hardware wise nothing has changed. I did a fresh windows install a few months back.

Any help appreciated.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [EL 1.0348] Game Doesn't Start.

Post by Vice »

Since you performed a fresh Windows install recently, did you also complete the step discussed here to check for missing DirectX files: http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=12791

The redist DirectX files are available in that folder and are included with the game in case they are not installed on your system. You can also optionally run the Microsoft web installer available here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Downloa ... aspx?id=35
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Chocolate Chin
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Chocolate Chin »

Sorry. Forgot to mention. I have done that but no joy. I even tried downloading/installing DX again from MS direct.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

There may be some kind of issue with the 1607 build of Windows 10 as it is has been causing a variety of problems on people's systems, everything from breaking input from Xbox one controllers to basic functionality, freezes/lockups to basic compatibility problems (also causing problems for certain security programs, including Avast). So I can't rule that out just yet and it may be something that MS fixes later on through updates.

For now though, I'll continue to look into it to see if there is a possible solution. Please follow the steps here to send me a zipped msinfo report on your system (no need to include the save game, just the msinfo report): http://www.starwraith.com/evochronlegacy/faq.htm#208
StarWraith 3D Games
Chocolate Chin
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Chocolate Chin »

Thanks Vice, I'll do that now. On a side note, my Win10 Tablet lost all touch functionality with the anniversary update. Doh.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Ouch, wow! I'm hoping Microsoft holds off on rolling out the anniversary update for my systems for a while until they fix such things. Some people can't even use their system after it's auto-updated on them. I'm reviewing your msinfo report now...

Edit: I've sent some suggestions and troubleshooting steps.

Edit X2: As a test, I 'sacrificed' one of my laptops for the update to the 1607 Anniversary build of Windows 10. Install went ok (it does not have an SSD drive, Xbox controller, or other problematic hardware for the update), I then launched and tested the game, which worked fine on that test system (a below minimum spec required netbook, but it still worked). So if it is related to the anniversary update, it may be specific to certain hardware/drivers.

Edit X3: Thanks for the follow up and test results in e-mail. It appears to have been related to a beta version of GeForce Experience and its affiliated streaming/capture utilities. Using the latest WHQL driver and version of GeForce Experience allowed the game to launch and run correctly, but the beta software on Windows 10 Anniversary edition (1607) apparently does not. It has been reported to Nvidia via their bug report option.
StarWraith 3D Games