[EL 1.0348]HUD FPM/closing nav console activating jump drive *INFO*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Arei
Ensign
Ensign

[EL 1.0348]HUD FPM/closing nav console activating jump drive *INFO*

Post by Arei »

Hello, I'm making a quick report about two issues I encountered with EL most recent update:

1. The "dots trail" or whatever they are named (sorry for my bad English) showing the direction where the ship is moving are staying on screen when the ship is completely stopped. That's nothing game breaking though.

2. Unexpected jumps when quiting the nav map. After constucting a test module in the IND faction and checking it out on the nav map I unexpectedly jumped right into the station and died a quick, but rather comical death when I clicked the X icon to close the map. This is really weird as it won't happen the first time you close the map, but likely after you come from another menu page to the nav map or when you open/close the map twice in a row.

I was able to reproduce the issue on video, it shows it happening after I go from the build menu to the nav map. It also shows the "dot trails" I'm mentioning at the begining and end: EDIT: removed because I'm cheap with bandwidth. :P

It's also worth mentioning that I completely disabled the Saitek profiler before recording the video to make sure my specific settings weren't messing with the game, but nonetheless it would be nice if somebody else could confirm wether it's also happening to them or if I am reporting unrelated shenanigans from my computer again. ^^'
Last edited by Arei on Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [EL 1.0348]HUD/menu issues

Post by Vice »

The dots (or lines if those are what you are referring to) are normal. That is the motion tunnel and it is part of HUD mode two. It provides a direction and speed reference and remains in both directions. It's also been consistent in the game since release, so there shouldn't be anything new or different in this build. If you switch to HUD mode one, you can turn it off along with a lot of other HUD details. You can also mod the tunnel to not be visible, if preferred. But in terms of functionality, it appears to be working correctly in the video.

Not sure on the control issue. It appears the game is just being reactionary to a signal it is receiving from your system to activate the jump drive (either a key/button signal or the 'Launch' button click range). The first thing I would suggest is checking your key and button mappings in the game's menu. See if another control is listed in one of the three fields. If that checks out, then there must be something outside of the game inputting a control somehow. Either a residual effect from a program left running in the background or perhaps something like a virtual keyboard in the background that happens to take an F8 key press when you click on that location. Have you tried closing other consoles that way? Does doing so activate other options in those consoles as though a key is pressed or one of the other menu options gets clicked?

There haven't been any recent changes to the nav console menu system that I recall. But I ran some tests anyway myself just in case and things worked fine for me.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Arei
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Arei »

It's going to be a post full of apologies and self-loathing again... ^^'
Vice wrote:The dots (or lines if those are what you are referring to) are normal. That is the motion tunnel and is part of HUD mode two. It provides a direction and speed reference and remains in both directions. It's also been consistent in the game since release, so there shouldn't be anything new or different in this build. If you switch to HUD mode one, you can turn it off along with a lot of other HUD details. You can also mod the tunnel to not be visible, if preferred. But in terms of functionality, it appears to be working correctly in the video.
I was almost sure they used to vanish when the ship was absolutely still... I'll just accuse a week of fever and make my first apology for that non-issue. O:-)

Vice wrote:The first thing I would suggest is checking your key and button mappings in the game's menu. See if another control is listed in one of the three fields.
Time for a second apology, I most likely mapped it by mistake while alt-tabbing and fiddling with the profiler last week. I didn't even think about that possibility, I really hate myself sometimes...

Thanks again for your help and patience. Would buying a second copy of the game make it up for all those times I've bothered you with non-issues lately? O:-)
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

No problem, just glad they were easy to sort out :)
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations