MP Server Features Survey

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Kuros
Ensign
Ensign

MP Server Features Survey

Post by Kuros »

The following is a survey about which server settings appeal to players the most. If you wish to participate please reply with the number and the option you prefer most for that number. Thank you.

1) Commodity price simulation
On: Commodity prices rise and fall based on supply and demand.
Off: Only player's buying and selling of commodities will affect commodity pricing.

2) Economy/Tech simulation
On: Tech and economy levels will rise and fall.
Off: Only player building of stations and modules will affect tech and economy level.

3)Territory control simulation
On: Territory control will shift between ALC and FDN based on randomly generated regional combat results.
Off: Only player kills and completed contracts will affect territory control values.

4) Blind Server
On: No player can see another player's location. Players most give their location for it to be known.
Off: Players can see where any other players are at by pressing the '~' key by default or can find players of their own faction by map marker on the quadrant map.

5) Location
EU: You get better connection to European servers.
US: You get better connection to servers in the United States. (Pacific).
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Re: MP Server Features Survey

Post by matchbox2022 »

1 OFF
2 OFF
3 ON
4 OFF
5 US
SolarWarden
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by SolarWarden »

You already know my answers, but here's the score for posterity ;)

1 OFF
2 OFF
3 OFF
4 ON
5 US
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

1) Commodity price simulation: Off

2) Economy/Tech simulation: Off

3)Territory control simulation: Off

4) Blind Server: Off

5) Location: Either

The rationale for turning off 1 thru 3 is that it makes it possible to determine if changes have been made by other players while IM is off line.
FotonCat
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by FotonCat »

1) On
2) On
3) On
4) On
5) EU
Shermandan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Shermandan »

1. on
2. On
3. Off
4. On, there is currently NO blind servers, the Dark Star was the last one and we miss him.
5. Eu, there are too many US servers already
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

1) Commodity price simulation On: Commodity prices rise and fall based on supply and demand.

2) Economy/Tech simulation: On: Tech and economy levels will rise and fall.

3)Territory control simulation On: Territory control will shift between ALC and FDN based on randomly generated regional combat results.

4) Blind Server Off: Players can see where any other players are at by pressing the '~' key by default or can find players of their own faction by map marker on the quadrant map.

5) Location EU: You get better connection to European servers.

Since there is a scarcity of player activity on many servers having 1&2 ON means that systems recover over time. Otherwise a few trade missions to sell mined stuff will saturate a system forever

Not so sure about 3: - having your hard earned system turned when you're absent might be frustrating but if only player actions change things then either the Evoverse will stagnate or a small dedicated team can take over all of it.
Kuros
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Kuros »

Thanks all for the responses so far. I'm thinking of starting my own server for a few reasons. First, I get disconnected a lot from Orion Sigma. This is understandable because I'm on the west coast of the US. Second, all the server options are the same and I don't want to ask anyone to change their settings. It's their server after all. Third, I have an old computer I'm not doing anything with anyway. This is not a for sure thing as this extra pc needs some maintenance and I need help from my brother on getting the server set up. If it works out, everyone is certainly welcome join because I'm going to make it public. For the server settings, this is what I'm thinking and why.

1) Commodity price simulation
ON: Commodity prices rise and fall based on supply and demand.

Having this option on gives miners and traders incentive to keep up to date on the best prices and plan routes accordingly. Otherwise, they'd be looking for the next market to destroy.

2) Economy/Tech simulation
OFF: Only player building of stations and modules will affect tech and economy level.

Having this setting on really deflates me and I've become bored of MP because of it. I explore and build, not so much pvp or destroy stuff. It seems nothing I can build has any effect on the tech level of a system at all. The tech level fluctuates wildly in gated systems as well as the unknown systems very close to gated systems and...no where else. There are areas of unknown space that seem static such as the triangle between Sapphire, Lambda and Fauston or the wasteful basically empty area out west of Lambda. Those are the Tech 100 planets on every server and it doesn't change. That makes the vast majority of space ill suited for development. That is a real shame.

3)Territory control simulation
ON: Territory control will shift between ALC and FDN based on randomly generated regional combat results.

The max players a server can have connected is 35. Having this setting off would mean the max size an effective faction can get is 35 solders. Wouldn't it be exciting if we could get 35 people to play at one time?! Not going to happen soon. Building in a system in MP does seem to effect it's faction since you are increasing ALC or FDN presence.

4) Blind Server
ON: No player can see another player's location. Players most give their location for it to be known.

I don't want people to not have the choice of privacy while everyone has the choice to reveal their location.

5.) Location
ON: The shelf attached to my wall that is a part of my house that sits on it's foundation in Oregon soil.
SolarWarden
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by SolarWarden »

Yeah, I'm also in the Southwest U.S. and I get disconnected from Orion Sigma constantly, usually when I'm having a conversation with someone in there too. It gets really old. A stateside server for all us Yanks in Ghost Fleet wouldn't be a terrible thing, lol.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

I think Kuros has already taken whatever info he needed from this topic and used it to create his server. My only suggestion is that he move his 24 Jan post into the first post ... or just start a new post listing his server name and specifications. As for a dedicated thread announcing planned events, yup. Sounds good to me.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Note about default settings (Territory Control set to Off). If the server doesn't have participation from players of differing factions, the one faction which does participate will quickly dominate the galaxy. All they need do is build stations in systems owned by the opposing faction. In short order, faction percentages will begin to move in the builder's favor ... until, finally, few if any combat contracts will be available.