New player - Looking for MP server advice

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Laguna
Ensign
Ensign

New player - Looking for MP server advice

Post by Laguna »

Hey everyone,

Just joined the community and also just started playing EL. Loving it so far and i have really high hopes about this being the answer to all my prayers when it comes to the ultimate space game!

I come from a fairly mixed background of frontier elite 2, freelancer and X3 but ive dabbled in many others looking for the perfect game.

I seem to have become fussy in my old age and ive tried no mans sky and elite dangerous but they just dont seem to itch that scratch left over from x3tc! I cant wait to get stuck into this though!

What i am looking for is some advice on a multiplayer server. Id like to play regularly on one but what i dont want are griefers. Played way too much eve online and know them all too well. I am also unsure where to start.

Are the servers based on user drives, in which case you can only access them if host is online?

Can i start my own one?

Are there any noob friendly servers that are long term where i can meet the same frequenters? It would be great to meet like minded pilots and work together regularly.

Now for a weird question: if you can indeed switch between offline and online modes, what happens if you build a station in offline mode in same place as someone else? So when you join server they mash together?! I understand given the scale this is highly unlikely, however it does help to understand how the offline and online streams actually co-exist.

Any tips, invites or info anyone has would be much appreciated!
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: New player - Looking for MP server advice

Post by Marvin »

Laguna wrote:Id like to play regularly on one but what i dont want are griefers. Played way too much eve online and know them all too well. I am also unsure where to start.
Most servers are "player friendly" with very few, if any, griefers roaming the Evochron universe.
Are the servers based on user drives, in which case you can only access them if host is online?
Individual players host their own servers. At least two, that I know of, are up 24-7 (except for short maintenance periods).
Can i start my own one?
You can, yes. The server program is on the same web page as the game download.
Are there any noob friendly servers that are long term where i can meet the same frequenters? It would be great to meet like minded pilots and work together regularly.
IM plays every Sunday from noon to 2:00pm, west coast time.
Now for a weird question: if you can indeed switch between offline and online modes, what happens if you build a station in offline mode in same place as someone else?
Stations and cities are among the few things which don't carry over between SP and MP ... for the very reason you suggested.
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Post by matchbox2022 »

All servers are generally pretty good, as stated above you can't port your SP stations to MP, or your MP stations to SP. The game will run fine with or without them, and any progress you make off or online will be saveable. I'd suggest building on MP more often honestly, and playing there too. Outer Rim is probably the more popular place, I don't see a lot of activity on Yodaverse. The ability to server hop is extremely useful for items or trading if your SP universe is crappy for economy or territory, as the MP ones often have extra stations built in high tech locations. Can also trade with players on MP too

Yeah if you're running a MP server you need to have appropriate ports forwarded and what not....and running the server program preferably on a dedicated box.
There's instructions somewhere on how to do it properly...I haven't done it so don't know, Caleb may be helpful in that regard.

Co-op contracts on MP is the best way for noobs to get cash quickly and level up. And most people on the server will generally ask before initiating fights or will try to help you find things a lot easier than through forums.
Laguna
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Laguna »

Hey guys,

Thanks for the quick and detailed replies. Sounds like a winner so far!

So am i right in thinking that if you build a station in MP it can be accessed/seen by other players in MP?

Thanks
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

So am i right in thinking that if you build a station in MP it can be accessed/seen by other players in MP?
Yes, station modules are kept with the server and delivered to clients so they can share/see the same structures while on the same server.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations