Hold onto your pants.

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Hold onto your pants.

Post by Marvin »

I like the planetside option best. Find a planet without any cities, build two as goalposts, put the container halfway between the two ... and go for it.

Oh, and have each player store his jump drive first. ;)
Oblivion Wolf
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Hold onto your pants.

Post by Oblivion Wolf »

Keeping with the cqc idea, combat could be limited to talons and arrows, running ice spears and the equivalent beams, that way it's open to everyone and the individual fights wouldn't last to long. Perhaps ships should be running level 1 equipment through out? This keeps the playing field hopefully level and extremely accessible.
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Hold onto your pants.

Post by matchbox2022 »

well wolf if you'd like to help me build a test region, and the planetside CTF is pretty easy to accomplish too while we're at it.

As far as strict rules go....it's really hard to enforce that, and most people going in will have an idea what they're in for....

I think not allowing multiple frames / mil frames would defeat the point (not for me) for a lot of players.
Same as strict weapons. That's a little easier to prove / show...but having a little bit of variety in combat would really set it apart from ED in terms of tactics...aka a build const guy could suddenly plop a weapon turret in the way...or a guy with a leech could actually have a reason to use it when a guy is in the asteroid field portion.

I can see why an even playing field is wanted, just unsure how quite to deal with it.
I suppose we can have a course that is harder. full of random weapon pods that will attack them...and meant for advanced players with whatever they want allowed...then a basic course so even the complete noob can go in and it'd be fun for them, with advanced players not entering...somehow.

Aka...basically complete newbs could go there with the most basic equipment and still have actual fun without being flung into space / get the hang of the inertial flying.

If we really wanted to put those kind of rules....

An easier way for enforcing that might be to tell them to make a separate profile with the tag ARENA in it, with only a basic military frame or civilian allowed with your basic weapon limitations as well as level 1 equipment (but any kind) only, and keep that profile unused unless you want to do instant combat (have it saved close to the arena).
Even that's hard to "enforce"....but if we saw players with ARENA tags going about outside of the ARENA area, mining and buffing up their ships then the admin would be able to ban.

[Edited on 2-22-2016 by matchbox2022]
Do, or do not, there is no try.
- An Asian father.
Oblivion Wolf
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Hold onto your pants.

Post by Oblivion Wolf »

I was thinking of ways to increase the pace, being in combat with an experienced player in a really strong frame doesn't go quickly if you both know what you are doing, I just figured dropping everyone in a light frame would be quicker and more accessible.
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Hold onto your pants.

Post by matchbox2022 »

Ah okay. I thought you were meaning for leveling the playing field. Which is still a good idea mind you to attract brand new players who don't have the best of the best yet.
- An Asian father.
Oblivion Wolf
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Hold onto your pants.

Post by Oblivion Wolf »

We could always have divisions for combat, all the way from ultralight to ultraheavy, and with a target scanner the ref could double check on equipment players are carrying.

[Edited on 2-22-2016 by Oblivion Wolf]

[Edited on 2-22-2016 by Oblivion Wolf]
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Hold onto your pants.

Post by matchbox2022 »

Sooooo I did try out building some stuff last night.

There are a lot of issues with building an arena, the tunnels can be built, and look pretty good...but

If you really wanted to, you can easily slip through the cracks and get out.

And as far as turning goes, it would make the tunnels easier to escape from.

Now flying through a complex of buildings could also be done, but Im thinking the planet CTF idea might workout better, especially for the work involved.

It's mostly for the community and new players really Im thinking, so whoever wants to help build it help me out ! :P
Free space beer?

#ifyoubuildittheywillcome?

[Edited on 2-23-2016 by matchbox2022]
- An Asian father.
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Hold onto your pants.

Post by Misunderstood Wookie »

I presume you refer to the Arena mode of ED. I have not tried it myself but I don't think Vice would go for it.

I can see the appeal though for player vs player in a tight space makes for great learning experiences I just don't feel that the newtonian combat of Evochron works too well in close proximity combat I could be hell wrong however.
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Hold onto your pants.

Post by matchbox2022 »

Just gotta try it. Still trying to build the arena in the first place, it is a challenge.
- An Asian father.
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Hold onto your pants.

Post by matchbox2022 »

I am making a trial version of the battle arena, and there will be locations on the surface about 10k away from each other, two cities for some friendly CTF on the planet below.
The arena is in sapphire ono darkstar and located over the pole of a nearby planet.

Please come try it out, and help me build! Seriously could use help.

And...try not to blow it up ffs.
:P
Consider it.....a non-combatant...combat arena.
- An Asian father.
Delta99
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Hold onto your pants.

Post by Delta99 »

Is this on a particular MP server Matchbox?
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Hold onto your pants.

Post by matchbox2022 »

Right now it's on the most popular server, Darkstar. Still in progress, with help it could be completed in a few days...I'm still getting the superstructure up.
I figure even though the server is blind, people may likely travel / save a profile there and hop on to see if anyone else is in the arena, then they simply fly in.

It's going to be a cage, 20k by about 8k in volume, with entry points and escape points built into tunnels throughout a superstructure at either side. It is also skimming the atmospheric pole of a planet...making it easy to turn things into a planetary race / battle of CTF instead. Will be making CTF commands down by the planet right under the arena too. There unfortunately won't be asteroids, but there will be weapon pods / unshielded that can be destructable inside to make things harder, as well as little obstacles to get to. It's going to be designed to be big enough for the newtonian combat and to deploy shields or weapons at will in "the cage", small enough to chase people through ED CQC style tunnels which lead to / escape the cage, and Shielding has to be / will be the very last thing for the arena to protect it from run of the mill people who think it's funny to blow up whatever.

Think of it as an ALC station that is meant for Feds or Alc to come and fight for fun.

It's in constant light, and looking at it from the surface of the planet I instantly thought that looks like something epic is being built up there ;)
- An Asian father.
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Hold onto your pants.

Post by matchbox2022 »

From post: 185979, Topic: tid=12469, author=Delta99 wrote:Is this on a particular MP server Matchbox?
Darkstar and I could really use help. If you have a build cnst come help!
- An Asian father.
Zah_docta
Ensign
Ensign

Hold onto your pants.

Post by Zah_docta »

Would love this idea! Id get off singleplayer if I could find people to fight on multi.
Delta99
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Hold onto your pants.

Post by Delta99 »

From post: 186219, Topic: tid=12469, author=Zah_docta wrote:Would love this idea! Id get off singleplayer if I could find people to fight on multi.
Watch the forums. We tried to get a group together recently but there wasn't enough interest. Or people couldn't make the suggested dates and times.
Delta99
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Hold onto your pants.

Post by Delta99 »

From post: 185996, Topic: tid=12469, author=matchbox2022 wrote:
From post: 185979, Topic: tid=12469, author=Delta99 wrote:Is this on a particular MP server Matchbox?
Darkstar and I could really use help. If you have a build cnst come help!
I got on the server over the weekend I think it was and there were a few people online but nobody responded to my chat messages so I logged off.
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Hold onto your pants.

Post by matchbox2022 »

Yeah, it's best to organize on here. I jump on usually on weekend or fridays.
Real life has gotten in the way..

I'm betting it's been totally annihilated by now.

Furthermore, Vice let me know a much better solution, faster and smarter, to building the arena via a serveruniverse text file instead. Though apparently there's a 250 module limit. That does help a lot though. I do however need an admin's permission on a server to actually host / uploadthose lines of code into their own server text file.

[Edited on 3-3-2016 by matchbox2022]
- An Asian father.
Janus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Hold onto your pants.

Post by Janus »

I'd be willing to host this on Starport 6.
ADMIN Starport 6
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Hold onto your pants.

Post by matchbox2022 »

Cool. Now I just need to learn how to build one via text files.
Know how to set up a local server to test things? So I can send you a finished product.
- An Asian father.
Janus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Hold onto your pants.

Post by Janus »

You can find information on station building and the format of the server files at the link below.

http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12507

It's pretty straight forward. You do have to know exact coordinates, both sector and in-sector, for each module. That can be tedious.
ADMIN Starport 6
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Hold onto your pants.

Post by matchbox2022 »

From post: 186418, Topic: tid=12469, author=Janus wrote:You can find information on station building and the format of the server files at the link below.

http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12507

It's pretty straight forward. You do have to know exact coordinates, both sector and in-sector, for each module. That can be tedious.
Much less tedious than ingame building and spamming
- An Asian father.
meatyalright
Ensign
Ensign

Hold onto your pants.

Post by meatyalright »

I think maybe you should just let ED have it's fun, I don't think an "arena" mode works well for this game
Trying to turn it into an arcade shooter?