[US]The Outer Rim Server (Legacy)

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Shadou
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

[US]The Outer Rim Server (Legacy)

Post by Shadou »

This topic is for the Evochron Legacy server The Outer Rim. Rules will be updated in this post as they are needed. At this point, no rules have been added to the server, as this is quite a different game from Mercenary and the rules that were necessary for Mercenary clans no longer apply.

If you have problems with the server, or see something you don't like and think a rule should be added to stop it, post here.

Current settings:
35 player slots
Commodity Pricing Simulation enabled
Tech/Economy and Territory Control simulation disabled.
Voice disabled (this may change)

Have fun, and fly safe. See you in space!

[Edited on 4-24-2016 by Shadou]
MiaZ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Part clipping at Thuban Station. Ports 4 & 3 .

Post by MiaZ »

Sounds good.
I really do think its best for the multi player to be completely player-driven, Thanks.
Shadou
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Shadou »

Many apologies to everyone for how the server has been up and down today while I've been adjusting settings and making sure the server performs. The server went down again for an automatic update. It will be up again shortly. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience.
Shadou
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Shadou »

I have been spending some time today trying to track down server performance issues and annoying the hell out of The Outer Rim's playerbase, but at this point I think the problems are unrelated to my settings and server. Many apologies to those of you that have had to put up with the up and down nature of the server today.

Vice, the issue I'm trying to track down is this: I have set the territory control simulation to off on the server, so only player action should be able to affect the territory control levels. But another player and I that were working in Thuban (both ALC) noticed that the territory control was getting stuck at 96% FDN. We could work at the territory and get it down as low as maybe 90%, but it would keep going back up toward 96%. I currently have no idea what could be causing this behavior. There were no other players, FDN or ALC, in Thuban at the time.

Other things that may or may not have anything to do with this:
The territory control values on the server console map do NOT match what is seen in-game.
Until Refresh is touched, the server console shows upwards of 150 fps, and 0 CPU, with optimized CPU use set in the config. When refresh is touched, displayed CPU jumps to 5, and fps drops to 19, and it begins to spam the console with "Alert: Server performance low (19), insufficient resources". The OS reports that the CPU usage hovers right around 25%, but I can't tell if that's only because it's using the full capacity of only one of my 4 CPU cores.

Any help on troubleshooting this would be appreciated.

[Edited on 1-20-2016 by Shadou]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

The FDN values could climb if there might be a round of dogfights going on in area that destroyed what few ALC ships may still be there. I wouldn't expect it would be quite so difficult to drop it to 90%, but there could be adjacent region factors involved that help restore/maintain it as well (I'd need to check the server codebase to confirm this as it's something I was exploring a few years ago with the system).

For the performance issue, do you have a value applied in the max fps line (801)? If so, try setting that to 0, then try refresh again to test for changes in behavior. You could also try changing the value in line 802 to 0 and see if that helps with the change. One or both should help. If the 3D program just can't muster the performance it needs, the 2D program may work better on such a system.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Shadou
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Shadou »

From post: 182929, Topic: tid=12214, author=Vice wrote: The FDN values could climb if there might be a round of dogfights going on in area that destroyed what few ALC ships may still be there. I wouldn't expect it would be quite so difficult to drop it to 90%, but there could be adjacent region factors involved that help restore/maintain it as well (I'd need to check the server codebase to confirm this as it's something I was exploring a few years ago with the system).
Would this still be true if the territory control simulation is set to off? I can see that being the problem with the simulation on, but I'm trying to get my server set up as player-driven as possible.
For the performance issue, do you have a value applied in the max fps line (801)? If so, try setting that to 0, then try refresh again to test for changes in behavior. You could also try changing the value in line 802 to 0 and see if that helps with the change. One or both should help. If the 3D program just can't muster the performance it needs, the 2D program may work better on such a system.
Line 801 is set to 20, and 802 set to 0. Line 810 is left blank.

What does refresh even do, anyway? The server has no issue at all until the first time refresh is pressed.

[Edited on 1-20-2016 by Shadou]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Would this still be true if the territory control simulation is set to off? I can see that being the problem with the simulation on, but I'm trying to get my server set up as player-driven as possible.
The server won't actively simulate broad scope territory shifts and changes when disabled, but local skirmishes that do effectively destroy faction ships can still have a minor impact.
What does refresh even do, anyway? The server has no issue at all until the first time refresh is pressed.
Refresh resets the entire display mechanism 'on the fly'. It should only ever be necessary if the display becomes corrupted or rendering artifacts occur. It's not as much of a problem these days and is kind of an older feature from years ago when it was requested/beneficial in some circumstances. Currently, the server program is designed to automatically recover on its own if the display device gets interrupted, which hopefully shouldn't ever happen on a system dedicated to running it.

I may update the server program soon anyway to use the newer DX display mechanisms the client does, which might help resolve such an issue. If you like, I can send test build to you in advance so you can try it out and verify if it helps or not.
StarWraith 3D Games
Shadou
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Shadou »

From post: 182933, Topic: tid=12214, author=Vice wrote: I may update the server program soon anyway to use the newer DX display mechanisms the client does, which might help resolve such an issue. If you like, I can send test build to you in advance so you can try it out and verify if it helps or not.
That would be much appreciated.

One other thing I noticed: Anything that causes the screen to refresh causes the EL server console to act as if its refresh button had been pressed. For example, and in particular, any time Ctrl-alt-del is pressed. This causes the behavior I mentioned with the FPS drop to 19 and CPU increase to 5, console spam, and the status bar turns red.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

That's exactly the kind of thing the newer DX mechanisms will help resolve. The current server is dependent on DX 9.0c, which isn't too friendly with control-alt-delete or any other screen interruptions for that matter. I'll try to get a newer build of the 3D server program ready for you in a few hours to test with.
StarWraith 3D Games
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

E-mail with a link to the test build sent.
StarWraith 3D Games
Shadou
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Shadou »

It doesn't seem to bother the Mercenary server running on the same rig.

Go ahead and send it to me, and I'll play with it tomorrow. I've disturbed the server inhabitants a bit too much already for one day.
-K-
Ensign
Ensign

Post by -K- »

Hey guys. I just want to say I'm having a lot of fun with this game and on this server. I tip my hat to everyone involved in making Evochron Legacy and to Shadou for operating a friendly and helpful server. Cheers guys!
Sinbad
Commander
Commander

Post by Sinbad »

I second that!

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Sinbad
Clan Leader

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

Looking forward to exploring this server.
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
-K-
Ensign
Ensign

Post by -K- »

Is server down today or just full?
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

I know some members going to play today so may be full.
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Fastidious
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Fastidious »

Was playing here last night and now trying to again today but I keep getting messages telling me it is full or I have the wrong ip:port. Has the server been full today? Anyway to check? Or is something else up?
Bodega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Bodega »

I think it's down right now Fastidious. That's what someone just said on our Discord server, of which the outer rim owner is a part of.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

You can check by right-clicking on the server listing. If the server is up, it should give you a list of players currently on line.
Shadou
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Shadou »

Server seems to be undergoing some stability issues. Had to reboot the server last night before I went to sleep, and it was giving issues and needed to be rebooted again when I woke up. I'll look into it more when I get home from work, if it's giving issues again by then.
Shadou
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Shadou »

Server was down again when I got home. I'm looking into it again. I don't think it's a problem with the server software, but rather the network driver. Or, since I wasn't having problems with it until just recently, I might be under a DDOS attack. I'll post more when I know more.
Shadou
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Shadou »

Apologies for the server going down at some time in probably about the last week. Between being busy in training at work, and being sick with the flu (at the same time. Yes, I have to work sick. It sucks) I haven't really paid much attention as I need to to the server. I'm working on updating it and getting it back online now. Sorry for the inconvenience.
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Post by matchbox2022 »

Real life sucks sometimes :P

would you be willing to host a combat arena if I sent you the appropriate lines of code?
Do, or do not, there is no try.
- An Asian father.
XenoBear
Ensign
Ensign

Post by XenoBear »

There is a part of the space station clipping through the docking port at the Thuban Station. Is there anyway this can be removed? It gets annoying crashing into it when going in to dock. Or leaving from being Docked.
Shadou
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Shadou »

I'll look into it. Sorry for the late response. Probably happened when I hamfistedly tried to restore the default stations after a griefing, but that was months ago now, and nobody mentioned it before now. If there are any other station placement anomolies, please let me know.