Rooster's Flight Log

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Rooster
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Rooster »

Day 1

I am almost ashamed to say it took three hours before I accepted any missions what-so-ever. With all the controls that needed to be programmed into my lovely rust bucket I almost felt a little overwhelmed.

After my inital testing and recalculating, the ship was ready to fly......here comes a solar cleaning.

Most will see this job as tedious but I saw it as a great oppertunity to practice my manuverabilty and if the Solar Panel had guns....I'd be dead. :D

Of crouse the only logical next step to any pilots career is some customization. Got this ship lookin like a beauty. More cargo than I know what to do with and a look that is just what I wanted.

Did mission after mission from the station there in space. Met some bad ass NPC's that where not in space before. Bought some information and made casual chatter while farming some asteriods. Deliverd some supplies to ships also. Then I decided to use some of the information I purchased and plotted my course to a stash. I put my ship on auto pilot and went down to the galley and made a sandwich.....came up to a "lost in space" situation. Good thing my fulcrum drive is only a little ol' 1. I realized that this cash was a little out of my current abilities and set my course for Star Port 10. Making a sandwich takes no time at all....but watching your ship make, what seems like, a 100 jumps to get back to where you were......takes a year.

At this point I am feeling comfortable in my ship and decided to take a planet side mission. Entered the atmosphere just fine. Farmed the oxygen and bunch of other stuff just fine. Went to leave and had my multiplyer on 5, hit the wrong button and instant BOOM. Death 1 noted on day 1. "You cannot fly off a planet at warp speed, Captain!"
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by DaveK »

I feel all nostalgic reading this!

Please keep publishing your logs - I'd like to hear your progress and discoveries and thoughts as you discover the joys of being an Indie Merc!

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by SeeJay »

LOL.

Great stuff. I agree with Dave. Those old days when I died all the time. Now I only die once a day or so LOL!

Was looking for a Planet last night that hasn't been found yet. I found it! With my face ..... BOOM!:P

Keep it up mate.
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Rubber Chicken
Captain
Captain

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Rubber Chicken »

From post: 168799, Topic: tid=11331, author=DaveK wrote:I feel all nostalgic reading this!

Please keep publishing your logs - I'd like to hear your progress and discoveries and thoughts as you discover the joys of being an Indie Merc!

:)
^ Yeah, what he said! :)

I've caused a few rolling blackouts planet-side myself when doing battle with that hideous monster known as the Solar Panel. Er... I mean... when making the wrong move whilst on a window washing job.:P
Support National Take Your Chicken to Work Day!
-------------------
100% Organic, free-range and zero-antibiotics. STILL the toughest bird in the Evoverse.
Rooster
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Rooster »

Day 2:

Flying is no longer a chore. I am far from good at it and burn 10x the fuel I probably should. I still have no idea what this "Inertal forward" and "Intertial Reverse" does. Seems to surve little purpose right now but I see this sneaking up on me. I have a couple controls set aside just to add it in, when the time comes.

The inital three hours of my day was amazing. Everything was clicking and popping. Making credits the hard way. Got up to a million and felt my head get bigger. I am a MILLIONAIRE. I accepted this mining job. Just a regular mining job. I learned two really key things on this job......if you run into an asteriod you die.....and.....save often. :D Needless to say my reign as a millionaire was short lived. Three hours of training, at least that is what i'm calling it. Now I save like a mad man. Every chance I get.

I decided that I was not making credits very efficently. I needed to map all I could see. I did this. Took some time adding everything into my Map Log. I found this killer looking asteriod that had a huge hanger attached to it.....don't leave the door open if you don't want me to come in. I must have been travelling at a snails pace my first time through there. I laugh now thinking about it. I found this crate that has unlimited Platinum in it. Well, I collected that plat and found a base that bought it from 70k-110k. 125 units at that price, I was all over it. Made the millions back and learned a little about the trade. How different bases have different prices depending on what they sell. I still have to figure out how to split cargo. When I mine I don't want to have to kick out the Metal. I want to set it up or have them pre "loaded" with 1 Diamond or Plat to start. In time, all in time.

Upgrades: Finally bought my first set of upgrades. I'm still wet behind the ears so I don't know exactly how to setup my ship but it is fun as crap making it look exactly like you want. Maybe tomorrow I will focus on the Main Missions and move into some combat areas. Maybe Olympus. I read about it.

I had a moment today when I was deliverying satellites to an awaiting ship in orbit. It brought me back to a place that I have not been to in a long time. A place in your mind where your imagination can run free. Back to being a kid when all your cars could fly and your legos where space ships. I flew along the surface of the planet just gather resources for no reason other than to see what was there. This is what a game should be. Hats off to anyone that had any part in making this masterpiece. It has been many years since anything caught my imagination like that. It happened several times. Being in a huge nebula cloud with lighting and crap going off while turning particles of crap into fuel so you can go get other crap. Just barely making it to that cloud on 34 units of fuel and hopeing that this is how a Fuel Converter works. Shit....have to love the little things.

I don't know if I will rush this game in any way. It may take me some time to even get into PvP. I have yet to kill anything and this crap has me hook, line, and sinker.
Rubber Chicken
Captain
Captain

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Rubber Chicken »

If you have the strafing thruster controls set up conveniently, then press the spacebar and turn of the IDS system. Then try the inertial forward/reverse thrusters. :cool: :)

Taking metal to a Constructor Station and converting it into Repair Systems gives you something to sell that gives a good profit. (Better than Platinum)

Olympus system is a good place to start basic combat runs - either on contract or picking on random hostiles that filter into your area.

Glad you are having a great time letting the imagination run free (and crap :P).
-------------------
100% Organic, free-range and zero-antibiotics. STILL the toughest bird in the Evoverse.
Rooster
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Rooster »

^^O, man. Sorry about the foul language in my post. I should of read the rules. Won't happen again. AND thanks on the Inertial thrusters. I think this little tip will greatly help with my fuel consumption.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Marvin »

Normally, I'd take exception to your word ... but that was before my neighbor's dog left a large pile of it on my lawn. I'm still waiting for my neighbor to retrieve it.
Rubber Chicken
Captain
Captain

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Rubber Chicken »

^ I was just ribbing you about the frequency of that word in your post. :D IMO "crap" is a slight bit lighter than PG-13, which it seems is the general guideline.

Glad you find the tip on Inertial Mode to be a good one. :)
-------------------
Rooster
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Rooster »

^hahahahhahah, that was the point of "crap". Imagine someone walking back and forth waving there hands while you read that last paragraph. Or picture Dwight Shrute from The Office, or Craymer from Seinfeld. I like to put some flare in there when I write.
Rooster
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Rooster »

Day: 3

So many lessons learned today.

#1 There is no need to jettison anything when mining. Just park next to a friendly ship and sell them everything you don't want till you are full. Metal into a Repair System into cold hard cash was one of the best tips..period. Thanks, Rubber Chicken. (how wrong was this.....gees, I don't know about single player but in multiplayer....you get 0 credits in trade. Just give them the items for free. :o)

#2 Combat is insanely hard. Well not so much hard as "different." It gets quite complicated when you start using the inertial side of combat.

#3 50% of the Crew Members are a waste of time. The engineer is the outright exception. This guy pulled off some miracles. The weapons opp also worked some magic.

Now that I have moved out of Sapphire, learned how to make easy early cash and fought a bit, i'm going to move to MP. Start the elustrious career of The Rooster. I just have to put some thought into my start. I am wondering if I can switch from ship to ship. Like park a "trader" and jump into a "fighter" at will? If I can then there is no question how I will start and continue to progress. If I can't....well this will take some planning. (googled and found the answer)

Option: 1
I am thinking I want to do more fighting than trading but I want to be able to fall back on trading for those "lazy" days. Since my main focus will be combat I think I will start as a Mercenary and amass 25 million. Then buy the Ferret in Sapphire and start my career as a fighter pilot. Killing for credits. (I found that I can trade credits with the help of another player) BOOM! So good to know.

Option: 2
The stars align and I can have two ships. One will be hands down just for trading or when I want to be lazy and make credits while watching a movie on my HUD. The other will be my baby.....my killer. (Gonna have two ship. TradeDuck and Rooster.)

If you read this and laughed at my noobness please post a comment. Give me some advice. The one thing that will not change is my start. Trade and make 25 million. I don't want any spoliers. ;) BUT....if I mention it here, then you can spoil away.

Thanks again to the community. You guys have been very responsive to every question and nit pick that a noob can have. Everytime I google something, it brings me back to here. Great job and thanks for all your hard work.

Ceti Alpha V or Olympus Prime or does it even matter at all?

[Edited on 04/09/2014 by Rooster]

Rubber Chicken
Captain
Captain

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Rubber Chicken »

Your not getting any ducats for selling repair systems to the local trade station? :o A c3 model in Sapphire should bring about 120k or so. I don't know about trading value with AI, but offloading them at the trade station should be much worth it. I've always built up new profiles in multiplayer using the metal and antimatter as converter materials, and it worked fine.
-------------------
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Maarschalk »

Hi Rooster, welcome to the game and forum, hope to see you out there some time!......Keep up your daily logs!.....;):P:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Rooster
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Rooster »

To Rubber Chicken....Sorry I think I wrote that wrong. Your tip was the best tip ever. It helped me really get going. Thank you :) I think I was wrong about trading items to NPC's. In multiplayer they didn't give me any credits. Not sure about single player though.

Also....someone is already named Rooster. I was playing yesterday and got kicked while outfitting my ship. Name already in use popped up. Bummer, but expected.

And hello Maarschalk =]
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Maarschalk »

From post: 168873, Topic: tid=11331, author=Rooster wrote:To Rubber Chicken....Sorry I think I wrote that wrong. Your tip was the best tip ever. It helped me really get going. Thank you :) I think I was wrong about trading items to NPC's. In multiplayer they didn't give me any credits. Not sure about single player though.

And hello Maarschalk =]
You got robbed!....did they offer you credits!
The trade console should have told you what they are offering!
for the equipment!.....;):cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Rooster
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Rooster »

I will do some more testing and see. I am still so new that everything has to be checked and re-checked. I will try this some more Maarschalk. Thanks for the reply. I would of flat out never traded with NPC's again if not your post.
Cindy
Commander
Commander

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Cindy »

I like your flight log Rooster. Very active and fun to read. :)

NPC's can rob you, but they can also be tons of fun to shoot down. :) That is... if they don't jump away right after robbing you! ;) :P

Edit: And that (above) is the very reason the Navy, Guild, Rebel, and most other factions that I can't remember at the moment hate me! :cool: Well that and even after they pay me, I still shoot them down. :P

[Edited on 4-13-2014 by Cindy]
A country gal with a heart of gold and a delight for blowing up spacecraft! :)
Capt_Caveman
Commander
Commander

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Capt_Caveman »

From post: 168873, Topic: tid=11331, author=Rooster wrote:Also....someone is already named Rooster. I was playing yesterday and got kicked while outfitting my ship. Name already in use popped up. Bummer, but expected.
that can happen,
the server tries to auto reconnect dropped connections.

the server still had your name in the list when you tried to reconnect.

you are the only rooster here
Rooster
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Rooster »

Cindy: I like your flight log Rooster. Very active and fun to read. :)

NPC's can rob you, but they can also be tons of fun to shoot down. :) That is... if they don't jump away right after robbing you! ;) :P

Edit: And that (above) is the very reason the Navy, Guild, Rebel, and most other factions that I can't remember at the moment hate me! :cool: Well that and even after they pay me, I still shoot them down. :P
Thank you :) Quick question: Ceti Alpha V or Olympus Prime? The only servers I see when I log into Multiplayer.
Capt_Caveman: that can happen,
the server tries to auto reconnect dropped connections.

the server still had your name in the list when you tried to reconnect.

you are the only rooster here
Bahhahahhahahahahahahahhah, You know I still don't know how to type or do server commands so I Docked in the shipyard and tried to talk to the "other" Rooster! There is a type box that pops up when you go to the hanger. I also changed my ship name to "TookMyName" bahhahahahaahha......so funny.
Cindy
Commander
Commander

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Cindy »

Ceti Alpha V is the best server there is for me. Galactica 1 is also awesome, but it isn't online as much or I can't connect. :(

Push enter... type... push enter to chat in Multiplayer. :)
A country gal with a heart of gold and a delight for blowing up spacecraft! :)
PaulB
Commander
Commander

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by PaulB »

From post: 168887, Topic: tid=11331, author=Cindy wrote:Ceti Alpha V is the best server there is for me. Galactica 1 is also awesome, but it isn't online as much or I can't connect. :(

Push enter... type... push enter to chat in Multiplayer. :)
Or do like I'm always doing: DO NOT press Enter... type... and see where that gets you - anywhere from nowhere to no tellings to dead.

Paul
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Marvin »

From post: 168894, Topic: tid=11331, author=PaulB wrote:Or do like I'm always doing: DO NOT press Enter... type... and see where that gets you - anywhere from nowhere to no tellings to dead.
:cool: There is no solution for that ... nor is there one for missing the Enter key and hitting the key above it ... not so good during the middle of a battle.
Rooster
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Rooster »

Man O' Man. What a day. I actually have zero questions. I think I met the Fab Five yesterday. Lets just go down the list:

Rubber Chicken: This guy is an Ace. Fun to chat with, informative and easy going.
Busch: This guy is hilarious. Keeps things lively and has an infectious laugh. Also very informative and helpful.
Cindy: This is a dangerous little clown. She is hilarious and ruthless at the same time.
Capt_Caveman: Probably the most grounded of the group. Kinda like the peace keeper. (and Cindy's bodyguard) :D
SeeJay: Didn't chat with him on team speak but our little bit of chat in game led to some great tips. (His webste is also very good)

If you have a question about anything, any one of these people can answer it. Also here is a link to SeeJay's website.
[link]http://www.evochron2.junholt.se/[/link]

Now lets get something I have been wanting to write since day one but didn't feel I had enough time in to give a proper message.

To: Vice
I have put some time into your masterpiece. It is amazing in everyway. I can't believe that one person did all this. So many times, while tapping into my inner nerd, I found myself wondering "what else." I have played games my entire life. They allow me to step away from the stresses of real life. A moment to myself. I can count on one hand the times where I have wondered "what else" or how deep does this rabbit hole go. Usually ending in dissapointment around the hour marker that I have reached on your game and I have yet to even push past Olympus. The idea that after 4+ years of players I can still find something undiscovered blows my mind. Well done and just a heads up and thank you for your time and effort. Also, thanks to all the beta testers. Games wouldn't flow if not for your input.

Side Note: If there is a wishlist of things you might add: A visor. For any situation where you might be looking into or near something really bright. :cool:

Day: 4

I have been trying to fly only using Inertial Flight. It takes the game from fun to "holy crap i'm in a space ship." I think I refueld two times yesterday. One at the start and one before I logged. I also sat in that cockpit for 10 hours. Rubber Chicken's explenation of inertial forward/reverse changed my fuel consumption to almost 0.

I got tired of making credits. Mining and then selling, then mining and selling, then taking the leftover mettle to the Construct. Selling those Repair Sys from the Construct and rinse/repeat. So, I tried to pump out some quests.

I was chatting with some of the Fab Five, trying to get tips on how to increase my rank. This is what I think I understood. Missions give permenant points to rank and Credits raise it also but not permenant? I am not sure I understood but I did pump out about 30 missions on top of the ones I already had finished and my Rank would just fluctuate from 79 to 75. Also they where only Navy and Energy quests. I think I read somewhere that those have the most influence on your Ranking up. I am not sure how to Rank up but since there is no definable way for me to see growth I think I will just continue down my path of "fun". I can get a little happy-go-lucky on maxing a character/ship and lose track of the fun.

Lessons Learned:

1) Constructs are death. If you dont thread the needle when jumping in or out of one...BOOM!....Dead.

2) Storeing Items on a player made base is just retarded. You will lose them. Almost a half million dollar lesson here. :o

3) Do not in any way think, for one second, you can pick on Cindy. She has earned her right to be here and you will be struck down with swift justice. If not by her than by her back-up.....which is extremly powerful. :D

4) The community is very helpful and also very tight-knit. You can tell, just by listening to them, that they have hours and hours of time spent together. If you want in this group....you must prove your worth or, at the very least, your ambition to learn and progress. Great group.

See you in space, Pilots. Soon....you may even see my gun.
Capt_Caveman
Commander
Commander

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Capt_Caveman »

im nobody's bodygaurd, if anything, I need one when she's around :P
Rubber Chicken
Captain
Captain

Rooster's Flight Log

Post by Rubber Chicken »

Thanks for the ups Rooster. :) I am also glad to have fallen in with these fine pilots, and glad that I've met you as well.
It's really awesome to see someone who has such strong enthusiasm and a sense of wonder about it all. :cool: It's helped me chip off some of my 'jade' and search for fun in the little things. I even took time to do some activities in-game that many (not all) full-ranked pilots might not find worth their time anymore. Cargo scanning hostile cap ships for antimatter and raiding only the prime ones is kind of like billionaire opening a sidewalk-side hot dog stand, :D but it was good fun nonetheless. :)
-------------------