Exclusive fullscreen and DX11 modes for 3DVision? *INFO*

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
D'Shanz
Ensign
Ensign

Exclusive fullscreen and DX11 modes for 3DVision? *INFO*

Post by D'Shanz »

Hi. I'm interested in this game as an alternative to E:D. I'm also a modder who creates fixes/patches for games to work with Nvidia 3DVision, and might be interested in creating a fix for this game if I find I like it, but in order to do so I need a few things to be in place.

I downloaded the demo to try it out, and have already encountered my first roadblock which is the lack of an exclusive fullscreen option, which is necessary for 3DVision to kick in. Secondly, I can see the game is running on DX9, and although there is a tool that can be used to create fixes for DX9 (called Helix mod), there is a MUCH better tool available to fix DirectX11 titles (called 3DMigoto). There's such a difference in terms of usability between the two that even though I'm able to DX9 fixes, I pretty much refuse to! I understand that this game has an experimental VR mode which uses DX11, so I'm wondering if it would be possible to use this outside of VR purposes? In the demo, I selected the OpenVR option in the screen mode, but when I relaunched the game it still loaded using DX9.

Any feedback on whether it will be possible to get these 2 display modes available?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Exclusive fullscreen and DX11 modes for 3DVision?

Post by Vice »

The 11 system is exclusive to the SteamVR system (which requires a compatible VR device to be available in order for the experimental VR mode to engage). The only viable option would be to enable the full screen mode. In the options menu, next to 'Screen Mode', select one of the 'Locked (FS)' (for Full Screen) modes, then exit and restart the game to apply. Last time I tried it with Nvidia's Stereoscopic 3D system about a year or two ago, it worked fine.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:P If this works, does that mean I'll be able to plug my computer into a 3-D TV and play Legacy in 3-D?
D'Shanz
Ensign
Ensign

Post by D'Shanz »

Well I'll be damned. Thanks Vice, I misinterpretted the meaning behind "Locked" and assumed that meant regarding the FPS / usage of VSync. It is a relatively small thing, but my feedback to the developers would be to expand the acronyms WM and FS to their respective meanings.

Just from the title screen and launching into the training mode (although not proceeding to do the training yet, as I had not even gotten to changing the control bindings yet), the 3D in this game does not seem to be broken at all, which is a great sign. Might just need to adjust some UI elements, which is relatively trivial to do (even with the archaic DX9 tool), so I'm going to give this demo a shot and hopefully I'll like it, and if so I'll probably be willing to work on a 3DVision mod which will provide just that little bit more exposure for this game.

@Marvin: The answer to your question depends on whether you have an Nvidia GPU or an AMD. 3DVision is Nvidia technology so you need one of their GPU's for it to work. Unfortunately AMD abandoned their 3D tech a while back. If you do have an Nvidia GPU, then you would need to either obtain a 3DVision kit, or obtain a license for 3DPlay TV, and with either of those then you could use your 3D TV as a monitor and utilize it's 3D capabilities for gaming.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

I've tested one game in 3-D ... it worked using the 3DTV Play option. I do not have the Kit ('though I've read about it at nVidia's official website).