[EM] Custom HUD MOD

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
theforce media
Ensign
Ensign

[EM] Custom HUD MOD

Post by theforce media »

I'm working on my first mod for Evochron Mercenary if anyone's interested :)
I'll try to update my progress here periodically.
Questions, comments, suggestions, etc. are all welcome!

[align=center][STATUS] <incomplete>[/align]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOP-SCREEN COMPASS/BUTTONS
[STATUS] <incomplete>

theforce media
Ensign
Ensign

Re: [EM] Custom HUD MOD

Post by theforce media »

Getting there...

Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

8) I really like that "build" icon.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

I love the soft style of the icon images. I wonder if Is it possible to mod the digital heading and duration clock to match the colour and style of your creations. That would be the icing on the cake.

The build icon is amusing, though I suppose that in the distant future nuts and bolts could still be a great way to connect stuff that needs to be taken apart - or it could represent a trend in icon use I've noticed in the UK icons being such old tech that only old fogies like me recognise the original! ... speed camera icons resemble bellows focussed cameras
speed camera sign.png
speed camera sign.png (2.31 KiB) Viewed 2362 times
and telephone icons using dial phones rather than buttons!

:)
theforce media
Ensign
Ensign

Post by theforce media »

Yeah, the idea was for the HUD to appear as some sort of holographic projection. The shadow is supposed to be the reflection on the cockpit glass. I think I'm going to rotate the shadows on the right-hand side buttons (move them to the upper left). Or perhaps I should rotate the left-hand side shadows (to the upper left)?

If there's a way to modify the clock and heading, I'd love to know. In fact, all of the variable text areas..

Haha, yessss I know my spanner/wrench is cheesy, but Davek makes a good point and really supports my reasoning for it. IRL certain symbol standards never change, even though the technology does. The reason is that these 'pictograms' should be instantly recognizable for what they represent.

(I am going to modify it and make it look a bit more 'sci-fi')

My initial objective was to use a symbol that best represents the idea of 'building something' and transcends all languages and cultures. I spent an hour or so trying to come up with a better option than a spanner, but nothing screams 'build' like a spanner.

IMHO the original 'build' symbol just looked like a bunch of squiggly dots. It wasn't until I zoomed in with photoshop that I realized what the icons actually were.
I'm going for instant recognition.

If you can think of a better option, please suggest it. That's why I made this thread ;D
theforce media
Ensign
Ensign

Post by theforce media »

Hows that?

Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:o As long as I hear somebody pointing to a target using o'clock positions, I'll be quite happy with a wrench icon when it comes to building.
AcePalarum
Ensign
Ensign

Post by AcePalarum »

I really like the look of your HUD. Small suggestion though: you might want to dial back the brightness on the "reflections" just a bit. There are some spots where the buttons and reflections overlap enough that right now they look kind of busy and it's a little difficult to read the button labels. Just my $0.02 (not adjusted for inflation).
theforce media
Ensign
Ensign

Post by theforce media »

Marvin wrote::o As long as I hear somebody pointing to a target using o'clock positions, I'll be quite happy with a wrench icon when it comes to building.
Lol :p Well how would you point out a target?
AcePalarum wrote:I really like the look of your HUD. Small suggestion though: you might want to dial back the brightness on the "reflections" just a bit. There are some spots where the buttons and reflections overlap enough that right now they look kind of busy and it's a little difficult to read the button labels. Just my $0.02 (not adjusted for inflation).
Yeah I agree with you on that. Thanks for pointing it out. But I just had another look in-game and it's not so bad. I think the .jpg screenshot makes it worse, also it was zoomed in.

Here it is again closer to actual size.

It seems like the shadows on the outer buttons are nice and soft, yet much brighter on the inner buttons. Not sure what causes that but I'll have to compensate for it in Photoshop.

edit: and now I'm noticing certain labels seem thinner and harder to read (inv, target) I'll have to fix that too.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

theforce media wrote:Yeah, the idea was for the HUD to appear as some sort of holographic projection. The shadow is supposed to be the reflection on the cockpit glass. I think I'm going to rotate the shadows on the right-hand side buttons (move them to the upper left). Or perhaps I should rotate the left-hand side shadows (to the upper left)?

If there's a way to modify the clock and heading, I'd love to know. In fact, all of the variable text areas..

Haha, yessss I know my spanner/wrench is cheesy, but Davek makes a good point and really supports my reasoning for it. IRL certain symbol standards never change, even though the technology does. The reason is that these 'pictograms' should be instantly recognizable for what they represent.

(I am going to modify it and make it look a bit more 'sci-fi')

My initial objective was to use a symbol that best represents the idea of 'building something' and transcends all languages and cultures. I spent an hour or so trying to come up with a better option than a spanner, but nothing screams 'build' like a spanner.

IMHO the original 'build' symbol just looked like a bunch of squiggly dots. It wasn't until I zoomed in with photoshop that I realized what the icons actually were.
I'm going for instant recognition.

If you can think of a better option, please suggest it. That's why I made this thread ;D
Instead of spanners, how's about a Dr Who sonic screwdriver? (or is that just a UK thing? ;D )
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Instead of spanners, how's about a Dr Who sonic screwdriver?
Which screwdriver? The 4th doctor's or the 10th doctor's or Matt Smith's (which is probably the coolest) or Peter's new one?
theforce media
Ensign
Ensign

Post by theforce media »

DaveK wrote:Instead of spanners, how's about a Dr Who sonic screwdriver? (or is that just a UK thing? ;D )
I've never watched it.. but I'm pretty sure they have it in AUS.

You mean something like this thing?
https://thenounproject.com/term/tens-so ... ver/67747/
https://thenounproject.com/term/elevens ... ver/67722/

I like it... 8)
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

;D yep ... It comes in many versions - each incarnation of 'The Doctor' had his own version! Sadly I expect that across the vastness of the Evoverse, everyone will recognise the spanner and only a handful the sonic screwdriver. In fact, in a line drawing icon form it'll probably be mistaken for a missile launch command ;D
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

??? The early screwdrivers looked like that thingy a doctor (medical, not time lord) uses to check your ears and nose.
theforce media
Ensign
Ensign

Post by theforce media »

DaveK wrote:;D yep ... It comes in many versions - each incarnation of 'The Doctor' had his own version! Sadly I expect that across the vastness of the Evoverse, everyone will recognise the spanner and only a handful the sonic screwdriver. In fact, in a line drawing icon form it'll probably be mistaken for a missile launch command ;D
Haha that was actually my first thought, the icon will look like a missile.
I think for now I'll stick with the spanner, but when I'm done I'd be happy to include a 'sonic' version for you if you want xD