Atollski's Navigation Tool (Legacy edition)

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
Arei
Ensign
Ensign

Atollski's Navigation Tool (Legacy edition)

Post by Arei »

Hello fellow pilots!

For those who don't know, Atollski's Navigation Tool is a very handy multi-purpose application that was released a couple of years ago for Evochron Mercenary. Since Atollski doesn't seem to hang around here anymore and was so nice to leave the source I took the liberty of trying to update it for Evochron Legacy (so I could learn some C++ and .NET framework during the process :P ) to be able to use it and thought it would be nice to share it here. I ran a couple of tests and everything seems to be in working order save for the data sending over HTTP which I didn't test yet, but since I don't believe it's the most critical functionality I'm releasing a first "beta" version before diving into this part of the application.

Please let me know in this thread if you encounter any issue not listed in the known issues below, I'm pretty sure there are some left... ^^' I'll do my best to fix them quickly.
Also don't hesitate to let me know if there are any errors/missing stuff in the provided optional database so I can fix it as well!

@Seejay: Feel free to add the Map Tool to the Legacy downloads collection on your website if you want to. :)

Functionalities:
- Spatial objects database: Every encountered object can easily be stored into the application via the ingame map log. Objects can be sorted and grouped for easier access and it also features a quick search function.
- Reading/Updating the ingame map log.
- Flight log: all the flight data can be stored into the application and then used for trillateration, graphics and more.
- Automated trillateration tool: It is possible, assuming the flight log contains detailed enough informations, to automatically attempt trillateration and generate a list of possible locations for hidden planets. (see included ReadMe)
- Dynamic map injection into the game hud: The quadrant map can be replaced by a generated map containing all the systems stored into the application. The font style, color and map colors are customizable.

Credits:
- Atollski: Application conception, design and coding. (Original Mercenary version thread)
- Marvin: Very detailled ReadMe.
- Arei: Legacy update.

Links:
- Atollski's Navigation Tool 1.0 for Evochron Legacy
- Optional mostly spoiler-free (Stations/Cities are listed) Evochron charted systems map
- My messy GitHub (source)

Known issues:
- The dynamic map preview doesn't update before clicking OK and re-opening the Settings window. I can't pull something better off right now without writting ugly stuff. ^^'
- The route finder acts funny, I'm investigating the issue.
The issue was apparently caused by errors in navedata.txt. Please re-download the database if you downloaded it before the 06.24.2016 4:30pm (UTC).

Chagelog:
1.0 Legacy initial release:
- Log: Fixed for Legacy (savedata.txt reading)
- GUI/Settings: Restored the font style, color and dynamic map colors options
- Route finder: Removed a useless waypoint pointing backward after each Jump Gate.

Fly safe!
Vivicector
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Atollski's Navigation Tool (Legacy edition)

Post by Vivicector »

Can't seem to force the game create savedata file. Done as per readme, 1st pilot. No effect. What can possibly go wrong?
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Did you create a savedatasettings.txt file?
Vivicector
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vivicector »

Marvin wrote:Did you create a savedatasettings.txt file?
Yes, I have a file named savedatasettings.txt at "D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Evochron Legacy" folder.

I have messed it up at 1st. I have logged in the 3rd pilot, then resaved it as 1st, restarted the game and logged in the new 1st pilot. Can that be a source of the problem?
Arei
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Arei »

@Vivicector: I answered your message yesterday but it looks like it didn't reach you yet. Like I said the navigation tool is only reading the savedata.txt generated by the game, it doesn't matter which profile you are using in that case. If you are sure the file name and value are correct, I would look at the installation folder permissions.
Trying to run the game as an administrator could answer that question and act as a quick and dirty fix if permissions are really the problem.

Like I said in my PM, I own the standalone version of the game so I am not aware of any specificities regarding the Steam version if there are any so it might be quicker to ask Vice himself in the support forum. ^^
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

One mistake I've run into when helping those reporting a problem like that is the file itself is sometimes misnamed with an additional extension (savedatasettings.txt.txt), so renaming it with the proper single extension has solved the problem.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

??? And the problem I usually have is with Steam. All the mods I use work great ... but only because I installed the game and the mods directly.
Vivicector
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vivicector »

Nice to see answers here!
Vice wrote:One mistake I've run into when helping those reporting a problem like that is the file itself is sometimes misnamed with an additional extension (savedatasettings.txt.txt), so renaming it with the proper single extension has solved the problem.
Nope, I have checked, its "savedatasettings.txt" with "5000" inside in folder "D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Evochron Legacy". I have Explorer set to show file extentions.

Is there anyone with Steam version who have it working?

Also, is it possible to launch Steam version as normal one to check it?

I am running Windows as administrator, tried setting "Run as admin" mode on the .exe file of the game, no result =(

Any chance left?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Are you looking for the output file in the correct save data folder location, rather than the program files location (which is often blocked by Windows UAC for write operations anyway)? The output file will be savedata.txt and it will be placed in the c:\sw3dg\EvochronLegacy save data folder by default. Any 3rd party utilities should be installed in the same location as the file or at least pointed to the same location in their configuration. You can also specify a custom destination folder location for the output file in line 2 of the savedatasettings.txt file, if you haven't already. But by default, it will be placed in the save data folder along with the game's other config/setting files.
StarWraith 3D Games
Vivicector
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vivicector »

Vice wrote:Are you looking for the output file in the correct save data folder location, rather than the program files location (which is often blocked by Windows UAC for write operations anyway)? The output file will be savedata.txt and it will be placed in the c:\sw3dg\EvochronLegacy save data folder by default. Any 3rd party utilities should be installed in the same location as the file or at least pointed to the same location in their configuration. You can also specify a custom destination folder location for the output file in line 2 of the savedatasettings.txt file, if you haven't already. But by default, it will be placed in the save data folder along with the game's other config/setting files.
Oh! So that where was it! Oh, stupid me! I have checked Prog. Files and folder in Documents, but not that one!

Thanks a lot! Looks like problem solved =).

P.S. Actually, brick walls are kinda hard and hitting one with a forehead was quite painful.
P.P.S. Sorry to waste your time on such an "issue"
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

8) It's not time wasted. If you hang around the forum long enough, somebody else is likely to come up with the same question ... and then you can play, "beat Vice to the punch by posting the solution yourself" ... which is always a good feeling. ::)
SolarWarden
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by SolarWarden »

So I'm gathering from this conversation that modding if you run through Steam is an issue?
Arei
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Arei »

Hi, no using the Steam version of the game is not an issue and the Nav tool can be used with either version. I believe it is the same with any mod.

Take a look at Vice's last post in this thread which explains the issue encountered by Vivisector and why my initial guesses were stupid. :)
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

SolarWarden wrote:So I'm gathering from this conversation that modding if you run through Steam is an issue?
I'm afraid I must agree, at least in part. Not all mods are listed on Steam, which has its own system of installing mods. Also, not all mods can function if Steam-installed. Consequently, it sometimes takes a bit of trial-and-error to get a mod to work if you've installed the game and its mods via Steam.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

SolarWarden wrote:So I'm gathering from this conversation that modding if you run through Steam is an issue?
The save data folder is the same between the two. The only difference is the install folder.

So just keep in mind that for mods which require the save data folder (and/or write out to the save data folder), you'd use this for the default location:

c:\sw3dg\EvochronLegacy

For mods which require the install folder, you'd use this for the default location:

c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Evochron Legacy

Beyond that, when I've helped others encountering issues, it's generally just been a misspelled configuration file or a file in the wrong folder location.
StarWraith 3D Games
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

I'd suggest installing any and all mods manually (as Vice suggested in the above post). If for no other reason, it makes it a lot easier to then uninstall one or more mods without possibly leaving a bunch of strange files in Steam's steamapps folder and subfolders.
SolarWarden
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by SolarWarden »

Awesome, thanks.