[MOD - WIP] Capital ships replacement project (again)

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
Bodega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Bodega »

Pfft Whatever j/k, no offense taken, nothing you said could even remotely be considered offensive to me.

Yeah, I didn't put more than a couple hours tweaking Sweetfx. I got some cool results but nothing I felt warranted keeping it active. I have your settings and will try them out. Yeah, I was using the default shaders, my main goal was to improve the AA, but I've done that through the Nvidia control panel and added a profile for EL.

Thanks for the info, I'll try it out.
EDIT: I'm using the ReShade settings you included and it's very nice. Bright colors, good contrast. I may turn down the bloom a hair, but probably not. It looks really good.
From post: 184863, Topic: tid=12363, author=Misunderstood Wookie wrote:
Nothing personal so don't take offence just I spent a long time on my presets to get reasonable results. You can't expect the injector to do magic if you don't spend the time to figure out what works best for your game.

[Edited on 2-9-2016 by Bodega]
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Misunderstood Wookie »

From post: 184872, Topic: tid=12363, author=Bodega wrote:Pfft Whatever j/k, no offense taken, nothing you said could even remotely be considered offensive to me.

Yeah, I didn't put more than a couple hours tweaking Sweetfx. I got some cool results but nothing I felt warranted keeping it active. I have your settings and will try them out. Yeah, I was using the default shaders, my main goal was to improve the AA, but I've done that through the Nvidia control panel and added a profile for EL.

Thanks for the info, I'll try it out.
EDIT: I'm using the ReShade settings you included and it's very nice. Bright colors, good contrast. I may turn down the bloom a hair, but probably not. It looks really good.
From post: 184863, Topic: tid=12363, author=Misunderstood Wookie wrote:
Nothing personal so don't take offence just I spent a long time on my presets to get reasonable results. You can't expect the injector to do magic if you don't spend the time to figure out what works best for your game.

[Edited on 2-9-2016 by Bodega]
If you want to hold off on adjusting the bloom I have a new version of the Overhaul Project hitting the forums hopefully within the next couple days which has a shader rewrite it still looks just as cool just this time I spent more time fine tuning the settings for an even better result. The new shader files come in a "low settings config" and a "high settings config" the new settings manage to implement DOF (depth of field) with bokeh & chromatic aberration, Optimised SMAA and Optimised SSAO which both at least in my testing on my system show better in-game results.

Speaking of overhauls (pun intended cough) the next version of my mod is coming with an installer and hopefully selectable options so you can choose which preset and or which alternative sound or textures you want installed, you will also be able to uninstall it via the usual method on PC. I included the save-game directory change as well all though optional, saves are pointed to the "documents\\my games" location this also resolves any issues with people moving the game install folder to another drive.

[Edited on 2/9/2016 by Misunderstood Wookie]
Bodega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Bodega »

Sounds good, did you get AO to actually do anything? The only thing I get is a framerate drop from about 115-120 to 55-60fps. I see zero difference. I've compared multiple views in the game using the ReShade Mastereffect toggle and even used the debug to see what it sees to perform the algorithm on it's nothing. My NVIDIA control panel doesn't allow me to put AO on the game, it says it's not supported by this title.

Just interested to see what/if any difference you see. Can you use the splitscreen or 2 screenshots and highlight the differences? I've turned it off for now on mine because I don't need the framerate drop for zero benefit.

I'm also messing with the SMAA because I'm using AA in Nvidia so I'm seeing which one is more efficient (aesthetics vs. performance).

Thanks!
Daedalus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Daedalus »

hull plates on the way:

Bodega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Bodega »

I love that color scheme. Model is looking really nice.
Daedalus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Daedalus »

And a last one before going to bed:

Daedalus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Daedalus »

Heightmap quite finished:
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Looks real good man very well done.
Daedalus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Daedalus »

Almost finished. I have only 2 hours per day to work on it and others projects in parallel, sorry for the slow ass update rate :)

matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Post by matchbox2022 »

Let us download already! :P
Do, or do not, there is no try.
- An Asian father.
Daedalus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Daedalus »

J-1 (hopefully)

Daedalus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Daedalus »

Image Image Image Image Image

That's it, the baby is done! But now try to figure out how to export it to evochron. Someone interested to help me export it from blender? I think with quick chat on skype I could make this work without problem since I didnt use substance painter after all, but the old spec/normal/emit textures.

[Edited on 2-29-2016 by Daedalus]
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Post by matchbox2022 »

Wish I could help, there were some tutorials I found to get things to .X format....they are still googleable I think, seemed a bit involved, think there's another format you might need as a middleman first. I'm sure someone will comment who knows better Im no modeller :P

BUT YOU ARE.
That ship sir is gorgeous.
- An Asian father.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

What does your texture map look like?
Daedalus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Daedalus »

as normal map i got these 3 textures:

this one is used with alpha

as diffuse/specular/heightmap:

emitter:
Daedalus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Daedalus »

Well, after reading the customizing and modifying the game page, I see that I cant use 2 materials in the same mesh. Is there a way to bypass that or do i have to find a way to fit every details in one texture?

[Edited on 2-29-2016 by Daedalus]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

You'll need to use four material types when it comes to texture layers, each in an individual index. You will need to consolidate texture content into individual images in each of the following categories:

- Base/diffuse
- Normal
- Emissive
- Specular

You can use a very large size for each to hold the various details, each for its own layer type, then UV map from those individual images as desired. For reduced memory overhead, you can employ DXT5 compression in DDS format for the diffuse, emissive, and specular layers.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Cool textures. For blender, I think what you see is what you get ... as long as you pack the image as embedded data into the .blend file ... then export as an .x file.
Daedalus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Daedalus »

Thanks Vice and Marvin for the answers!

I'm trying to import the mesh in the sample viewer, but even if the viewer works fine with the default sample ship, mine makes the viewer crash with the following error:

"RUNTIME ERROR 7026 - You must link limbs in chain sequence at line 534"

I really dont know what it means, but I gess its pretty bad.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

No idea, really ... unless it's related to how your ship must be a single mesh. IIRC, EM didn't like it when pieces of the mesh were floating around, unconnected.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Correct, you must export as a single mesh without limb/child sub-meshes. The game adds its own mesh content to certain objects in memory, so it needs those indexes free to perform the operations. For capital ships, this involves placing the weapon turrets. For weapon turrets, you can also specify custom locations in the shipspecs#.txt file for the design you are working with.
StarWraith 3D Games
Daedalus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Daedalus »

Oh ok that explain a lot why every update to my mesh didnt change the error. But that implie some heavy changes i have to make to my mesh since I have more than 12 separates pieces like the engines, center brigde, saucer, shield platform, etc, even moving parts like a radar platform I was working on. Well, shame on me for rushing the work without reading all the engin specifications.

I gess just joining every children into the main mesh without making it stitch together wont work either?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Some programs allow you to export as a single mesh as part of the export process, leaving the original intact the way it is for you to work with in the editor. Not sure if the program you use offers that or not.
StarWraith 3D Games
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

From post: 186235, Topic: tid=12363, author=Daedalus wrote:Oh ok that explain a lot
I can give you a hand if you wish. I have offered previously and followed this project with great enthusiasm I was hoping somebody like you would overhaul every frame in the game flyable as I am not the so good with models but I know what is needed to make them work.

I already have some information on making placement of turrets and thrusters the the like in the ships text file. I also can get this converted to .X format for you. I use ModelConverterX as it can convert from basically any format to DirectX format (.X).

I just need the model in any format other than Blender so .OBJ or .3DS I use max so anything it can normally import will do just fine. Just send me the scene if you like I also have Blender so I can import your scene just make sure that the mesh is a whole as Vice said or I can do that either way.

I presume you have already cleaned the mesh (removed unneeded vertices) if not I can run it through Max mesh optimize to lower its overhead in game. I can also convert your textures into DXT5 if you'd like and probably even get the thing in-engine will send you back methodology and a working in-engine test if this helps you.

I was already able to get one mesh into the engine but for me it was a simple cube stacked onto a cube for a test. Anyway let me know if you want the help.

Cheers

(Edit)
If you can't export as a single mesh that is fine just send me the Blender Scene file I will export this and import it into 3DSmax and export it as a single mesh.

[Edited on 3/3/2016 by Misunderstood Wookie]

[Edited on 3/3/2016 by Misunderstood Wookie]
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Post by matchbox2022 »

Wish I could help, Id download so damn fast.
- An Asian father.