[EL] Evochron Community Overhaul Project

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

[EL] Evochron Community Overhaul Project

Post by Misunderstood Wookie »

[align=center]Image[/align]

[align=center]What is this?
Overhaul Project is a community project developed with help from multiple members of the Evochron community.
Which aims to expand Evochron Legacy's Questline as well as the Graphics & Sounds of Evochron Legacy while still keeping much of the newtonian feel.
[/align]

[align=center]Image

Expanded Mission Content [TBD]
Enhanced Sounds
Enhanced HUD
Enhanced UI
Enhanced Shaders [GodRays, Bloom, SSAo, SMAA, Sharper Image, Colour Adjustments]
Customizable Radar Size!
Chatbox Widescreen Support
Font & Text Size Improvements.
Save Game Location Customizable (see savedir.txt)
Customize the installed features.
[/align]

[align=center]Image

Full Setup Version
Web Setup Version (Minimal File Size)
[/align]

[align=center]Image

Sounds: 15%
Environmental Detail Graphics: 30%
UI Graphics: 43%
Cockpit Console Graphics: 92%
Gunsight Graphics: 100%
Shaders (ReShade*): 100%
Expanded Story Missions: 0%
Probability of Bugs: Not as many as before! :P:P
[/align]

[Edited on 3/26/2016 by Misunderstood Wookie]
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Screenshots

[align=center]Image[/align]

[align=left]CockPit - Design - Default Sights[/align]

[align=left]Montage of Visuals[/align]
Last edited by Misunderstood Wookie on Mon May 29, 2017 8:28 am, edited 7 times in total.
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Screenshots

Post by matchbox2022 »

yeah the lines are confusing, could always set them to the extreme edge of the display so they disappear if they can't be removed.

I thought of this idea too :P, it'd be fantastic to have tie fighter laser sounds. Rebel...meh okay too. Should be not "too" much time to do.
Do, or do not, there is no try.
- An Asian father.
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Screenshots

Actually removal of the side lined compass is pretty easily done, it's just making the compass image black, however I left it there for as it's useful to find out if you are upside down. In my teaser you will notice I made it more translucent though. Actually now mentioned I will likely simplify thus compass and make it much shorter.

As for the sounds.. I already replaced the flyby, main engine sound with an x-wing noise. I replaced the starting gun sound with x-wing laser.. Pew Pew :)

Will likely use tie fighter laser for another gun. Oh yea I used x-wing proton torpedo sound for missles. Those were for a test, I'm looking for wav files for better star wars ship sounds.

What you see is an early concept of a simplified HUD. I really like the simplified IDS icon and the replacement of the WPN and HUL in bottom right, and no I didn't use any one else's I actually spent time in photoshop redesigning them with my own fonts and the glass like shadowing was done on purpose :).

What I still need to do is replace the top left "all" weapons icon with a simplified one like the IDS and also remove the text on the right and left as well as the bottom those are not images this requires a text file edit.

When I'm happy with the HUD I'll work on De cluttering the cockpit status menus. Like the shield and energy bars I'll make those without the lines and and a subtle half way marker.

Any suggestions?
Bodega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Screenshots

Post by Bodega »

Awwww Yiss, mothafudgin' mods. Can't wait to see it when it's done.
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Screenshots

FIRST ALPHA RELEASE - OP UPDATED!!!
This release is for feedback/support, bugs will be present and not everyone will like the position of the radar but a future release will see this as part of an optional extra. This release was by far the hardest to make and most time consuming so be patient the default positions for UI and HUD will come soon.

Changelog v0.6a:
Repositioned Radar (Soon to be part of optional extra's pack)
Center Console texture revamped for position of new radar
Improvements to game font
Improvements to UI text size
First batch of sound effects revamped (trial sounds)
Left & Right console's rotation increased slightly

[Edited on 28/03/1987 by Misunderstood Wookie]
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Screenshots

Post by DaveK »

From post: 183929, Topic: tid=12336, author=Misunderstood Wookie wrote:[Edited on 28/03/1987 by Misunderstood Wookie] ?????????? :D
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Screenshots

Yea that is a mystery to me too, it has added that ever since I created the account here on the forum with every edit of posts made. I literally cannot remove it lol every time I edit a post it will add a new one and I have to remove the existing ones it adds. (forum bug??) I find it quite odd it shows the edit time as my D.O.B but lucky I am not that caring on who knows it.

EDIT
I think I fixed it, somehow my user account had my DOB as the date/time formatting :P

[Edited on 1/31/2016 by Misunderstood Wookie]
Pepe Silvia
Ensign
Ensign

Screenshots

Post by Pepe Silvia »

Excellent, this sounds like exactly what I was looking for!

Could I suggest making the "gunsight" ring less intrusive? Maybe just a thin line bordering the shield indicators instead of that "matrix" style circle?

I sometimes loose targets\\objects in the clutter
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Screenshots

What you see right now in version 0.6a is actually just my test release its not final, the radar is being moved back to the middle again on the next release and where it is now will be included as a HUD variation in the extras folder.

Ideally what I want is the same thing as you, so the next version which will I am hoping to have ready in about 2 days will see the default variation used instead of the radar in the gunsights, this variation will have a simplified gunsight as you suggested.

I think the problem is not the gunsight being matrix rather be the martrix circle is too large and needs to me more transparent like its part of the glass :), so that is my next move fwd in the project.

Once I am happy that I can call the HUD adjustments final stage I will focus on the sounds. I already have the environment nebula just didn't include it in the this release as its far from finished but they do work haha.
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Screenshots

Bumb

Versions 0.7a Alpha Release (OP UPDATED)

Change Log
[/list=1]
[*]Removed ship gun sounds for now (need to rework them so each gun sounds different.
[*]Gunsights,Cockpit Consoles now use the final textures and included as part of the *default experience.
[*]Radar Placement now uses the default experience of the mod.
[*]Extras Package is completed and included with the mod. (See features on first post)
[/list]

*default experience means final layout for the project and are considered final version.

For those interested here is a comparison from version 0.6a & version 0.7a.
0.6a - Gunsight Radar (also included in 0.7a as an alternate gunsight)

0.7a - Gunsight & Radar using default experience and final!

[Edited on 2/1/2016 by Misunderstood Wookie]
Pepe Silvia
Ensign
Ensign

Screenshots

Post by Pepe Silvia »

Just played with it and loving it!

Can't wait for further updates, it's looking very promising
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Screenshots

From post: 184158, Topic: tid=12336, author=Pepe Silvia wrote:Just played with it and loving it!

Can't wait for further updates, it's looking very promising
Glad you like it :), I just read that the new update for the game is perfectly compatible with existing gauge file changes so there is not problem running this along side the new scaling system.

I just updated the download url with something I forgot to include in the zip :o. The Mode 2 Gunsight had the wrong texture it now uses this one for when you use the simple sight.

[Edited on 2/2/2016 by Misunderstood Wookie]
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Screenshots

Versions 0.8a Alpha Release (OP UPDATED)

Change Log
  • New Targeting cursor.
  • SHADERS ARE IMPLEMENTED WOOT!
  • Documentation is now included in the form of ReadMe.txt files for each optional extra as well as the main mod.
  • Center Console has been made a little more opaque for better contrast.
  • Targeting Console has a new texture, as do various menus.
  • Updated Display Gauges again...
  • Extras Package has updated file structure in for compatibility with Update v1.0138

[Edited on 2/4/2016 by Misunderstood Wookie]
Last edited by Misunderstood Wookie on Mon May 29, 2017 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tanvaras
Ensign
Ensign

Screenshots

Post by Tanvaras »

Great work Wookie - very much like the look of the UI in cockpit :)
\"Flies better drunk than sober - You got the booze you got a pilot\"
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Screenshots

Thank you :), believe it or not I brought the game and the entire 7 hours of in-game time I have clocked on it has been from just making this mod.
Some things I am still after are -

1. List of gunxx.wav names that belong to what ID, If I knew how to export a list of items and the sounds associated that would be helpful.
2. Ship Texturing help so I could change the cockpit textures and the outside textures of ships (I already know how to model and create specular/normals I use MindTex along side PS CC and Autodesk suite.
Bodega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Screenshots

Post by Bodega »

Wookie, I've looked for a list, but yeah it only says 1 starts with Banshee, but that doesn't coincide to the list I have.
As for texturing help, you're 90% of the way there if you can do normals/spec maps. Does MindTex export DDS? If not I believe AMD and NVIDIA have some tools to do it, as well as Visual Studio Free Community may do it. The way i've been learning is by downloading other mods from EM. The format is a bit different in EL in that the shading is all taken care of. You should email Vice too, he may send you a list and is more apt to see/respond to email rather than the forum. But you should post any info you get to help others (me). Thanks!
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Screenshots

Yea cheers, I was thinking about emailing vice about exact ID to item names.
Yes I also have the Nvidia tool plugin for PS, however sometimes it exports with corruption so I was looking for a batch DDS converter for DXT5. I couldn't find AMD'd old tool all the links I found go to a page which doesn't exist on AMD's archive. I was thinking maybe TS5edit for skyrim might actually do the job since its whole purpose is to open ESP files for Skyrim and export the PNG files to DDS which from memory also works for loose files I used it a few times before to fix dirty mods.

[EDIT]
Yep it appears that MindTex can export .DDS format so all I have to do is import all my diffuse files from this mod (the .png) and batch export them back out as .DDS :cool:

[Edited on 2/5/2016 by Misunderstood Wookie]
Bodega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Screenshots

Post by Bodega »

Nice, good to hear. I did get the compressantator tool from AMD's website. I Think the link was a 404 but I found it from that page somehow. It wasn't that good.
Bodega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Screenshots

Post by Bodega »

Also I am interested in your sweetfx settings. I'm using the Nvidia control panel profile. I did mess around with the sweetfx though, you can join our discord server, I think I put some screenshots up there last week or 2 weeks ago. I didn't see too much benefit so I stopped using it. Couldn't get ENB wrapper to work, kept crashing. There are some ship models from EM you can look at that might point you in the right direction.
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Screenshots

From post: 184551, Topic: tid=12336, author=Bodega wrote:Also I am interested in your sweetfx settings. I'm using the Nvidia control panel profile. I did mess around with the sweetfx though, you can join our discord server, I think I put some screenshots up there last week or 2 weeks ago. I didn't see too much benefit so I stopped using it. Couldn't get ENB wrapper to work, kept crashing. There are some ship models from EM you can look at that might point you in the right direction.
I can't join the server right now I probably can but my internet is right now is from tethering my mobiles data plan via wifi and I am running on $ per gig right now as I used all my current allowance haha.

As for SweetFX I didn't use it I used http://reshade.me/ as SweetFX was renamed and is now dev continues under the name ReShade. What I did was strip it down removing the included profiles and the entire "ReShade" folder and used the "MasterEffectsReborn" Plugin which is far superior to get it to work though you need to copy the correct dll for 64bit/32bit in this games case the 32bit dll and rename it "D3D9.dll then it will load just fine, the settings can be adjusted in real time so I just alt-tabbed between the config file and the game until I had something I liked.

My settings were influenced on a new game being made called NoMansSky which if you check it out it's very vibrant and has a bluish tint I really liked so I tried to emulate the tonemap they used and it worked quite well I think it probably needs more fine tuning but you can edit the one included with the mod. The file is called "MasterEffect.h" I also changed the "Reshade.h" file to include some text to display that my mod was loaded this was just a nice way let everyone that its working fine without changing loading screen images.

I uploaded ReShade on its own for you just click this line. I might release it as a separate mod if people email me about it. I spent about five hours alone just on the shader profile and made it specifically for this game & mod but it does work standalone however If I do release it standalone I will create a few other examples and change make it a standalone mod.

If you use it just make sure to leave the Reshade credit line and crediting me would be appreciated if you used my profile as a template. I don't mind if people use parts of my mod just a simple kick back to the this page would suffice. Hope this helps you out.

matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Screenshots

Post by matchbox2022 »

I think the real trick for a tie fighter is going to be the sounds.....
The biggest issue..I don't believe the game *knows* that we want different engine sounds that are ship appropriate. vice would be the one to ask, since we can do custom /per ship cockpits.

as far as making pew pew sounds. The tie fighter is pretty iconic. Going from single to multiple shots the sound does change a lot.
Battlefront and Battlefront II did a very good job at this, and I think the gun sounds use multiple .wavs per shot....so it "should " be doable, albeit time consuming.

Lemme know if you want help, I'm pretty badass with audacity now.
- An Asian father.
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Screenshots

Sure matchbox I would love a hand with sounds, those are where I am weak with. I will have to email vice to see if per ships sounds are possible using the ships ID number like some other things are, I need to email him about the the station dock shield images anyway as I want to have like a carbon matrix style shield or something more practical wall looking.

You can email me about helping if you wish I can give you access to a Cloud folder so we can work on this together if you want to combine efforts and make the biggest mod for the game, just inbox me on here and I will give you my RL email as that is far easier for me to keep track of.

Currently I just converted everything over to .DDS DXT5 and am testing out Nebula Detail images I just finished to see how they look in-game however I can't always test everything as I haven't jumped to a new system yet since I got the game LOL, been busy working hard on this because I love modding. Half the selling point of this game for me was I had MERC and wanted to get this one and mod it. I probably won't release a new version of this mod until I have the sounds and environment done.

matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Screenshots

Post by matchbox2022 »

I should very much so be asleep.
:P
Alot of the sounds in EL are very good however and I personally feel like they don't need changing.

And star wars is very....I'm flying a plane style in space. It's not exactly newtonian. Everyone is going to look like darth vader spinning post trench run if they try.
But it'd still be encouraging.
I'm also unsure of the legalities of using certain sound files and what not. For example, most xwing games from the 90s had those exact sounds all packed nicely in .wav format, and would be killer easy to convert....however legality wise, Im unsure if saying "but we aren't selling it" is enough.
Without the lawyer bs tho, it wouldn't be incredibly difficult to attain. you should try audacity out, the hardest part really is being a perfectionist and learning how to get rid of clicks and pops.
- An Asian father.
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Screenshots

Well they don't have to be star wars It was just what I had in mind when starting lol, I would be pretty well good on just some wep sounds that stick with the newtonian feel.