[EL] Evochron Community Overhaul Project

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
Bodega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Screenshots

Post by Bodega »

Wookie: If create a large quest and it's understandable that you may not want to distribute it in plaintext form, maybe there are some surprises and you don't want people peeking, talk to Vice. He has a way to compile them.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Screenshots

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Ships aren't the only objects you can add (I still can't think of a way to script destruction of a modded ship ... unless it's a substitute for a default ship). Any object can be added ... message buoys, for example. The kind with maps or other graphic clues for the player to follow. Cool new transporter devices or booby traps.
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Screenshots

Post by matchbox2022 »

From post: 185037, Topic: tid=12336, author=Misunderstood Wookie wrote:Thanks Marvin I did peek at the sample quest seems easy enough and if its true if I can produce special effects and textures well this will be fun.

However I can't promise when the quests will be delivered as we still need to write them and plan them out. What I do want though is if any modelers wish to partake drop a comment or email me directly at [email protected]
This is s large project and doing myself is a slow process, I can get the ships into game np just need people who can create better than me to lend a hand if they have nothing better do that is.
Haven't even looked yet but look forward to when I have more time next week. If it really is "easy" to learn.

You can make your own special fx too? Gawd so many ideas already.
Story writing is by far easier said than done, having a nice twist or two with some humour thrown in would be fun, but difficult to accomplish. As a team it'd be fun to set up.
Do, or do not, there is no try.
- An Asian father.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Screenshots

Post by Marvin »

:cool: You can do sound FX but video is a no-go. 'Though I think it would be possible to do a slide show.
Bodega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Screenshots

Post by Bodega »

Wookie, is the DOF setting supposed to be enabled on ReShade? I just updated the Mastereffect.h and the Reshade.fx, I didn't download the .dll or anything else and it's enabled and doesn't seem to be set correctly on my computer because it's just blurring everything.
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Screenshots

Post by Misunderstood Wookie »

Bodgea I'll check with vice I'd prefer to compile them once they are done.

Also that is odd.

I know I set it as a camera distance blur it should be keeping your ship and stuff near you non blurred but stuff like 1k away blurred a little, I'll check it out maybe send me a picture. Because I tested it on my system and the dof was only really blurry for like 2k away.

I had an idea for a nodded ship as I believe they are gone when you leave the mission sector. I was going to make moving bases and things like that can I hear someone say gun platform hehe. No I'll definitely make sure there some surprises I won't tell.

[Edited on 2/12/2016 by Misunderstood Wookie]
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Screenshots

Bump

Got a teaser for you guys... :)

Screenshots of the installer I am working on and as you can see it has the options available to install various additional and or variations of styles. You obviously can choose the installation path but I will have a check in place to make sure it detects the .exe just to be sure.
[img=1024x800]http://puu.sh/nbtHg/3e60a958ca.png[/img]

The installer is functional and I can confirm that it actually does install the mod no worries, it just needs a final pass on the dialog boxes and such along with the integration of the web updater component (which scares me a little tbh but should not be too difficult).

The next version of this mod will be using the installer, I will likely provide two builds from now on web based installer and full installer. If I get feedback I will provide a web based dev branch installer which will download any updates under the development branch that get committed.

Additionally the framework for the story expansion is under way. The proposed scope for the first installation of the story expansion is 30 missions . Mission 29-30 are reserved and the remaining 28 split between the two factions, alliance and federation each get 14 main missions. You might have noticed in the screenshot too I provided a couple extra Radar mod's which increase the size even more and yep I will include more shader presets as well.

If anyone wishes to have thier mod included let me know and I will see if we have a place for it.

[Edited on 2/17/2016 by Misunderstood Wookie]
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Screenshots

Version 0.9.2 Release

Change List
Download re-located over on See Jay's server (Thanks mate)
Shader now has DOF and cooler colour tone.
Save Directory location changed to "documents\\my games\\" if your saves are missing move usual save game folder into that location!) optionally you can change the location in savedir.txt
Installer format release! (no more need to download new installers it will check for updates on install or by running the updater from your evochron legacy path)
Licence file is attached
Read Me file has been renamed
ECON Updater.exe is included but not functional as of yet (no web server updates to pull as of yet in future this will update the mod for you!)

[Edited on 2/24/2016 by Misunderstood Wookie]
Tanvaras
Ensign
Ensign

Screenshots

Post by Tanvaras »

From post: 185898, Topic: tid=12336, author=Misunderstood Wookie wrote:Version 0.9.2 Release

<snipped>

Simple Aussie terms:

Bloody brilliant mate!
\"Flies better drunk than sober - You got the booze you got a pilot\"
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Screenshots

With the update of first official update to use the new install method it has been brought to my attention some saddening news.....

Our teams story writer has decided to quit the project. I am not one to hide what goes on so those who wish to read about it on the steam discussion board however I won't be direct linking that here for obvious reasons. The ECOP Team and myself thank him for his time and efforts thus far and wish him all the best with his future goals.

These events have been a major setback to project as currently the team stands with just myself and the few who offer assistance, I wish to inform everyone here that the project is not dead and while I may be the only design lead on this project I will still to keep everyone updated and work on the project.

The show must go on so to speak and with that we have some positions open.
Story/Plot Lead - Who will be in charge of writing story expansions.
Additional Model Artists - To create ship models and other things such as flyable stations.
Texture Artists - GUI textures and Model texture map creation.
If you wish to help on the project you may contact me here or <a href="mailto:[email protected]">Email</a>

I wish to share some information about the decisions so far made on how to proceed with first mission module

The first story module is aiming to based around the Vonari which will be sectioned up into fourteen individual missions for both the Alliance and the Federation. I have been informed that a Mercenary Story expansion called "over the hill" was based around the Vonari and since not much is known about them this leaves a great opportunity in Legacy to pick up where that story left off as a stand alone story module.

From post: 185901, Topic: tid=12336, author=Tanvaras wrote: Snipped
Thank you! I'm glad that others are enjoying the work done on the project as much as I am creating the it.

[Edited on 2/24/2016 by Misunderstood Wookie]
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Screenshots

Post by SeeJay »

As for the story, maybe the "Over The Hill" can be used for Legacy? The website for it is already there. (You access parts of it with passwords given in game)

What needs to be done is to rewrite the quest part using the Legacy file format.

I need DaveK's permission to hand the story over since he was the story writer. I only wrote the Quest part (in game) story.

Let me know if this is of any interest to you and your team Wookie. And Dave, let me know if that would work for you!
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Screenshots

See Jay as per discussion via email it would be an honor and great help if the team could continue that story in Legacy, Synergy is important It would be nice if players went back to Merc and then came into Legacy and found that they could continue the great story designed.

Dave has been in contact with me on the matter he seems pretty keen on writing again for Legacy.
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Screenshots

Version 0.9.7 Release

Change List
Feature = Added: Medium Quality Shader Preset
Added: Installer Icons
BugFix: Setup may abort if user was not an administrator
BugFix: Setup starts even if .net framework 3.0 is not available (3.0 is required)
BugFix: Standard High Quality Shader DOF reduced as to not blur text or other close objects too much.

If you already have installed the mod using the installer you can run it again or just use the ECOP Update.exe in your EL directory to update.

[Edited on 2/25/2016 by Misunderstood Wookie]
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Screenshots

Post by matchbox2022 »

Haha okay so

Do you need anymore soundfx or things like that we can try to chat about?

Or are you good in that respect.

And are the sounds I posted part of this mod? If so, know of the response? aka. that sucks I want stock instead. It's only 3 files so Im trying to guage if the effort put in was actually worth it for future sounds.
- An Asian father.
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Screenshots

Just for reference if anyone is getting an error about no path when starting the game this is due to the savedir.txt which currently does not currently support dynamic links (symbolic system link) I also made a mistake on the hotfix which has a blank savedir path as the note I left on how to use it did not have enough spaces to count as additional text so the file sees the note as the path WHOOPS!

I have emailed Vice and there is a new build coming with support for a symbolic link to the users documents folder :), a previous build of this mod was using the path "&SytestemDrive&\\%UserProfile%\\Documents\\my games\\" However as it stands savedir.txt cannot use symbolic system links.

Vice suggested just using the direct path "C:\\Users\\username\\bla bla" except this will not work as what mine is will not be the case for everybody as I cannot be 100% everyone uses C:\\ for the system path or what the account name is. Some more discussion with Vice and appears two choices were available to us, either the installer runs a batch or gets the exact path and puts that into the savedir.txt when installing or Vice comes up with a method to get the exact path using a symbolic link.

So a big THANK YOU!! to Vice as he emailed me a new test build this afternoon allowing the use a dynamic path to get too your user folder so it will be possible shortly to use "%docfolder%\\whatever folder in your docs folder" in the savedir.txt which we tested and it did fix this bug.

So once this new Legacy build is officially released a hotfix for this mod will be released shortly after.

From post: 185999, Topic: tid=12336, author=matchbox2022 wrote:Haha okay so

Do you need anymore soundfx or things like that we can try to chat about?

Or are you good in that respect.

And are the sounds I posted part of this mod? If so, know of the response? aka. that sucks I want stock instead. It's only 3 files so Im trying to guage if the effort put in was actually worth it for future sounds.
I used your warp effect sound and I think one of the engine ones.
They were excellent sounds, if anyone is wondering if I used any part of thier mod I do so with asking first and credits to those members are in the ecop readme.txt.

Yep still needing sounds :D I have actually done no work with sounds yet other than the first few from the first release I just changed the engine sound and the flyby one removed the obvious star-wars themed ones. So currently only the mining laser has a sound effect change in the item department haha.

[Edited on 2/26/2016 by Misunderstood Wookie]
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Screenshots

Post by matchbox2022 »

Ah. just an aside too....

The whole .net requirement is a little outdated, it's really just a bunch of stuff that evochron reads in its root anyways...so it could easily be packaged as a .rar with directories that you simply pick and choose files from, and copy pasted. This should be a "alternative" method for us computer literate folk who's OSes might be funky and therefore shouldn't be using that framework.
- An Asian father.
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Screenshots

From post: 186003, Topic: tid=12336, author=matchbox2022 wrote:Ah. just an aside too....

The whole .net requirement is a little outdated, it's really just a bunch of stuff that evochron reads in its root anyways...so it could easily be packaged as a .rar with directories that you simply pick and choose files from, and copy pasted. This should be a "alternative" method for us computer literate folk who's OSes might be funky and therefore shouldn't be using that framework.

Oh it's not required for the installer :D however I am not sure if is required for Re-shade framework hence why the installer will pester about .net 3.5 if you don't have it..

I think a small history lesson.
.net framework is not outdated it is actually required by almost any program written in Visual Basic just about any application in someway requires .net for example any 3D modeling program needs .net.
the .net framework is and has been pre included in the OS dating back to win 95.

Win XP came with 2.x later updated too 3.0 and 3.5
Win7 came with 3.5 standard and 4.x was optional.
Win 8 (now this where my reasons for making the install check for it comes in) The powers that be over at M$ decided NOT... to include .net 3.0 or 3.5 as part of the standard package but .net 4.0

Now this was a problem as a lot of third party programs had not gotten around to updating to the 4.0 standard which for whatever reason was NOT backwards compatible with .net 3.x hence the two versions included with windows 8 and above as a feature by default is not installed you can install it via the (install programs and features) part of the add\\remove programs in control panel.

So as a precaution I made the installer check for 3.5 registry if was not found then it would prompt to web install 3.5 you may opt out doing so and the installer will continue to install just fine as there is no part of our software that specifically requires .net 3.5 or anything above 4.0 Yes it also checks for 4.0 but this not an issue for users running at least windows 8. There is no pain in getting 3.5 or 4.0 almost every game on steam ships with a (redist) folder which has the visual basic updates and directx and .net ready to install on first run. I just choose to let the installer download the web installer instead of packing them for a smaller overall download as it's not really required to install the mod.

Now I am not sure if you are asking for a zipped version of the mod or not as I moved away from those for anything but dev builds as while simple they don't allow us to integrate any form of update check. In order to keep people updated and save people having to come back for builds every other fortnight or whatever the case may be. They can re use any installer version they have or run the updater from the legacy game path which is installed with the mod to update the mod.

Get the idea :) Hopefully this explains things.

[Edited on 2/26/2016 by Misunderstood Wookie]
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Screenshots

Just gotta bump this thread.
We just pushed a Hotfix for the savedir.txt
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Screenshots

Post by matchbox2022 »

By outdated I mean .net4 or 4.5 with service paks should be utilized.

Also, the shaders absolutely refused to work with two files present, think savedir.txt was one, but I got them working upon deletion.

Holy cow blurry batman, and it "censored"s hard with my video card.
It IS an old 7000 series card, so this was actually kind of expected and not the shaders fault...it's meant for dx11 current gen hardware, not barely runs the game video cards.

The major reason is cause I'd love a little more pick and choosing
I decided the hologunsight "would" be really cool with perch, frankly it was extremely cool in the general 3d cockpit, gotta say nice tweak, I fly with the cockpit off due to lack of visibility though...(which doesn't look so good with the moved displays), perch fixed that, but I don't know how to fix perch for EL, that would be a very popular download. So I decided against it in the end, also really not a fan of this font (which the uninstaller, doesn't do such a clean job of removing)

I DO really like the nav map / general cursor that was very thin and minimalistic, haven't found it in your files yet. That's the reason I think a .rar (tends to be smaller) or yes zipped up would be popular, for us computer literate folk, updating is as easy as copy pasting (I mean the shaders are just directx hooks), I like to pick and choose :P personally. Not shooting down the installer it's fine....but I run my drivers the same way, to have full control of what is on my laptop / going on.

[Edited on 2-27-2016 by matchbox2022]
- An Asian father.
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Screenshots

Post by matchbox2022 »

If you need some help with a story I could throw some ideas and voice acting your way. Better to have a quest not be all text....we could really use some girls as well...maybe I'll convince the gf and record her while she doesn't notice.:P

Also, do you need / want a modded sound? Anything specific?
The most I can think of is maybe explosions could be a bit better.

[Edited on 2-27-2016 by matchbox2022]
- An Asian father.
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Screenshots

Which font? The fonts are bit map png there is a tool in the mod kit to make them Amy fonts you prefer send me the font file I'll convert them. And make a new section for fonts.

I'm not sure what you mean by the Shaders.. In the list of features to choose during install the Shader options are at the bottom just pick one here. The game crash was the savedir.txt bad formatting on my part fixed that by removal for now as vice is adding what I need in the next game update.

I'd suggest you use the low preset here of fps is a problem it keeps the color tone map and Bloom most of the light shading disables the fps killers GodRays, SMAA, HBAO.

I'm a little confused by how you can't pick and choose the installer has every part of the zip we used to have separated into standalone options.. There is even more than before and selecting nothing or Legacy are dummy options to install nothing so you get the Legacy experience with no change.

Which. Cursor you refer to? The one somebody made with the trail because o can add that. Actually any thing yo want as options just fwd me the stuff.

Better not forget to mention sounds haha.

Well the weapons need sounds and the explosions need them. I'd hold off on voice acting unless you want to chat with SeeJay and DaveK as we are working on bringing Back OtH and possibly a prequel for OtH chapter two. We have been discussing how to add to this for legacy last few days and I'm sure it's going to great.

While I wait for your response I'll add the cursors floating around here and vices new font as well others.

Maybe I should make options for text sizes too?

I presume you rather see what your adding I get that. I've been trying to add images on tooltip for a while now.

I can publish a zipped version of the installer? That way the content is zipped and protected pw will.be on here so you can use the installer or manually dig around. Let me know.
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Screenshots

Post by matchbox2022 »

Oh, it's not a big deal, was just trying to be constructive. It will be fine for 99% of players out there.

If I get around to screenshotting it I can show you the cursor I liked specifically.

The shaders thing is VEERY likely my old as balls laptop honestly...was not criticizing you :P
Even low preset was abysmal for my fps, but I really like your holographic radar.
- An Asian father.
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Screenshots

From post: 186051, Topic: tid=12336, author=matchbox2022 wrote:Oh, it's not a big deal, was just trying to be constructive. It will be fine for 99% of players out there.

If I get around to screenshotting it I can show you the cursor I liked specifically.

The shaders thing is VEERY likely my old as balls laptop honestly...was not criticizing you :P
Even low preset was abysmal for my fps, but I really like your holographic radar.
Thanks :) I have been wondering about his Perch cockpit and while it seems possible to convert I have no resource samples which map out texture placement for any cockpit so I would no idea how to map it.. how ever if the Perch has the textures with the rest of it that I presume it would as it would require them.. I may load it up into Max and do some remodeling however I don't quite understand how to animate the thing and I never saw any animated joystick in the Legacy cockpit :/.

As for the Shader.. yea I would say it is your laptop haha, even my girlfriend's laptop with the onboard intel graphics can run the game at 25-40fps with low shaders.

Been working on a new build though today,
Added Marvin's Targeting Cursor Trails into the main hud not selectable though as the images are far better than stock everyone loves them.

I also added his Pitch Ladder to the Tape options available.
Added both of Vice's shaded fonts to a new category and removed the font from the core files so now it is possible now to select any of the fonts available on install which currently are four and I am making a few more for good measure. I also made a subcategory in the fonts category to select three preset overall font text sizes (Larger, Medium< Smaller) You probably are aware the current build uses a size 1.0 for the font well that is now the Larger option and Medium is 0.8 and Small is 0.5.

I am getting there but anything that is worth a separate feature I ripped from the core into sub features so you can just pick and choose which style you prefer. Options are better than no option its not really an effort on my part to add more categories as needed.

I found a nice asteroid replacement which I i downloaded to use as templates to make a better one so the build is not quite finished current internal dev build is at 0.9.8

Been thinking about making a Cinematic shader for screenshots and tutorial videos, and throwing some thoughts in my head about making less bulky but still functional looking target images you know the ones for Nav, Quest and selection targets.
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Screenshots

Update Version 0.9.8 Released
Download Updated
Download the full installer or if you have a previous version already installed run the updater in your Evochron Legacy game directory!

Change List

New Features
Font Style is now optional and additional Fonts and Font Sizes Available.
Saved Game location changed too user documents path (Now uses %docfolder%\\my games\\) [THANKS VICE:)]
New Hud Tape Options Available.
New Targeting Cursors.

Improvements
All Shader Presets have increased sharpening.
All Shader Presets have a brighter tone-map.
All Shader Presets have FPS improvements (10-30 frames gained)

Bug Fixes
Fixed Evochron Legacy.exe game crash caused by savedir.txt in previous updates.

[Edited on 3/9/2016 by Misunderstood Wookie]
Benzin
Ensign
Ensign

Screenshots

Post by Benzin »

HI, tried to download the full installer to check it out, but Avast blocks it, it sais its "infected with DRep".
im sure its a false positive, but tought id let you know.