[EL] Evochron Community Overhaul Project

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Screenshots

Post by Misunderstood Wookie »

From post: 186877, Topic: tid=12336, author=matchbox2022 wrote:I really like your gunsight radar.

Any way to incorporate that into the holographic radar? Such as, the radar is slightly larger and moved to look holographic, with that underneath (the illusion of it being an actual screen?)

And is there anyway to make the 3D model target in the right hand hud (the target screen) bigger and floating above the screen? A little bigger, like 25%. That'd be damn cool, I dunno how to.

And how would you feel about this sound as part of the startup / shutdown sequence...in the proper voice pitch and it won't be exactly like this, so you only have one lady on the computer chewing you out and not two voices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1Hs58gqjY0

[Edited on 3-21-2016 by matchbox2022]
Haha mechwarrior my old friend, if you can make it work so we don't get sued I'd love it :D.

Oh yea I can import the cockpit and the other x files flawlessly into my model editor it would take a texture remap of the displays but it's definitely possible to make the holographic radar display model face up with the grid onto and status info on a bottom panel. I already moved the left and right consoles further out to the side of the cockpit more like elite style.

The holographic radar wouldn't need much tweaking as it's already 3D so once the textures remapped it will look like a projection I actually wanted to make them all projections. Short answer is yes. Iv been talking to vice about exporting to engine recently as iv only succeed once with an enlarged radar panel this was I could increase the radar scale factor for a much wider image. I'll mock something up and post images. Once I get the thing to load in the cockpit viewer gotta get the export process right but as far as model goes I can make anything desired.
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Screenshots

Post by matchbox2022 »

The radar seemed doable, but I was specifically wondering about the 3D target in the right screen, the one that shows your target details, and moving that tiny physical 3D target model window only, not the entire right screen,...... up above the screen and enlarging it, yes very much ED style :P, but if its moveable via text then that shouldn't be hard.

And for the sounds, yeah I will be using free sources :P. It won't quite sound like the mechwarrior girl.

Another guy made a whole bunch of mods using those sounds, and they are kicking around so legally I have no idea if I used them straight up, but to be safe I'll use free ones, I already can get the voice to sound more or less correct via audacity
Do, or do not, there is no try.
- An Asian father.
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Screenshots

Oh right the Selected Target Holographic Radar yep this is movable just the same the Center Radar.

So you want to see this more like a projection???, because it is possible to just cut the image in half so the details are projected and the target radar is more to the left on its own I could possibly move the target details below the hologram with that floating on top all of the text I believe is movable.

[Edited on 3/24/2016 by Misunderstood Wookie]
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Screenshots

Dev Blog
Development has slowed recently, not that I have done nothing :P:, actually I have been working on things with a bit more substance than usual, this time in the form of custom meshes and a WIP makeover for the holographic radar display and gunsight. Some things were tweaked as well, such as the save dir path was moved to a new optional section in the installer which as obvious as it appears is where all the non-required feature choices are now placed so along with this change I threw in the no-intro text file for good measure.

I am also hoping that I can come up with a few text color variants and targeting reticle replacements as the next release will mark the grand v1.0 and we wish to mark this release with some real meat which means after the meshes and sounds are completed quests are on the agenda YAY!

In the meantime, I have some screenshots below of some rough mockups of the new cockpit mesh's so enjoy :cool: (keep in mind that nothing is final and feedback is welcome)
[align=left]
[/align]

We have a fair bit to do before the release of 1.0 such as cockpit re-texture and still need to make meshes for the military cockpit, howeverif anyone wants to test the meshes just ask and I will provide a zipped version of the meshes and required .dds texture mappings. At this stage suggestions are welcome, for those of you are lucky and have an Oculus Rift we plan on making a VR cockpit but don't expect that to work and look very nice without VR as head tracking will be essential if to see any vital information as the displays are being moved out of the main view so you will need to look left and right and down to see the usual display data.

A big thank you to the fans of the project as without the kind words and support for the project motivation levels would be pretty low but we are watching and we can see how many downloads this gets and the comments we get are awesome guys, also a big shout goes to Vice for the help these past few days and for the game we all enjoy.

[Edited on 3/25/2016 by Misunderstood Wookie]
Last edited by Misunderstood Wookie on Mon May 29, 2017 10:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
Rooster
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Evochron Community Overhaul Project

Post by Rooster »

I am sorry if this has been answered a million times. I tried to click on some links but all links I tried where dead.

I used the installer and started up my game. It worked great. Only thing is, is the game is bright as all get out. The graphics are there for sure but the gamma brightness is ridiculous. I can't even look at a planets surface on the side without low light mode on.

I really want to use this mode, can you please guide me on what files I need to edit?
wiper
Ensign
Ensign

Post by wiper »

Rooster wrote:I am sorry if this has been answered a million times. I tried to click on some links but all links I tried where dead.

I used the installer and started up my game. It worked great. Only thing is, is the game is bright as all get out. The graphics are there for sure but the gamma brightness is ridiculous. I can't even look at a planets surface on the side without low light mode on.

I really want to use this mode, can you please guide me on what files I need to edit?
The solution that worked for me:
- uninstalled ECOP ( using or the ECOP installer or the windows control panel )
- reinstalled without checking the "Shaders Preset" options

Now when launching the game the ReShade loading screens warns with a failure ("Compiling effect ... failed!") and a red error line
But the game seems to run fine and renders as per default without the new shader effects.

Maybe this will do the trick for you too.

Any of the ECOP options can be activated/deactivated this way for what I have noticed.
The ECOP installer even includes a modify option but it does not work for me. Pressing the "Next" button after the options dialog the installer doesn't continue on my system (Win7 64bit).
Rooster
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Rooster »

I also did this but my OCD will not allow me to fly around with that on the screen =)
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Post by matchbox2022 »

Guys, shaders weren't created specifically for this mod. This overhaul package simply includes an injector package available to the public as well and works with many DX9 or later games

It's a version of ReShade I believe (or SweetFX). So quite honestly if you want thing tweaked specifically, or additional shaders injected (that is exactly what is going on) then you should do it the manual way if your solutions are breaking. You could download ReShade directly and it will allow you to use a modified dx*.dll for any DX9/DX10/DX11 Game. DX8 has issues.

It can give you enhanced blooms, FXAA, sapia filters, more colour saturation, etc.

I believe a lot of the configuration of injected shaders is done through a text file with boolean (true false, 1 or 0) flags.
wiper
Ensign
Ensign

Post by wiper »

Rooster wrote:I also did this but my OCD will not allow me to fly around with that on the screen =)
Well as matchbox stated, you could manually disable all parameters you don't like in the MasterEffect.h file.

For that you need to re/install ECOP with one of the Shaders Presets checked ON ( as the MasterEffect.h is not installed if you dont, hence the error and probably your prob with the OCD)
With the MasterEffect.h existing in the main game folder first remove its write protection and then open it with a text editor and set every #define USE_<option> to 0 that you want to disable, where <option> here stands as placeholder for the different parameters used by ReShade/SweetFX.
Finally don't forget to save MasterEffect.h ( remember that its write protected originally ).

For example the first parameter in the MasterEffect.h of the Standard High Quality Setup probably is
#define USE_SWFX_TECHNICOLOR = 1.
Just set this one to 0 ( #define USE_SWFX_TECHNICOLOR = 0 ) and the effect will be disabled next time you start EL.

If you disable all parameters this way the game graphics are just rendered like in vanilla.

Alternatively, to get rid of all ReShade effects, you could do it the bold way and delete / rename(hide) the d3d9.dll the ECOP installer puts into your EL directory.
Rooster
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Rooster »

Thank you for this
v1nsai
Ensign
Ensign

Post by v1nsai »

First of all, thanks for this. I'm really excited about this game but the tiny font has made it unplayable so far.

I've tried installing ECOM.exe with only the large font size, but I get an error when compiling shaders

Code: Select all

ReShade.fx(346, 32) error X3004: undeclared identifier 'fBorderColor
, and the font becomes unreadable. I've tried installing a shader preset along with the large font, which solves the error but font becomes blurry AND unreadable.

Am I doing something wrong or does the mod just not agree with something on my system? I'm going to keep trying different combinations and see if anything works, will report back in case anyone else is having issues.
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Post by matchbox2022 »

is FXAA enabled in the presets? if so turn it off an use MSAA
v1nsai
Ensign
Ensign

Post by v1nsai »

matchbox2022 wrote:is FXAA enabled in the presets? if so turn it off an use MSAA
Sorry but where would I adjust that? Do I need to worry about messing with a shader? I'm just trying to do the bare minimum to make the font as large as possible, only reason I started messing with the shader was because I got an error message.

Do I need to use shaders? I'm really just trying to do the bare minimum to make the font larger. Also, sorry to be all "i r noob LOL" but I can't find where to switch from FXAA to MSAA anywhere.......
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Post by matchbox2022 »

Someone chime in.

I may be wrong. However I think if you don't care about messing with shaders you can delete them outright by finding dx9 or dx10.DLL inside the MAIN Evochron Legacy folder where the exe is and deleting it. No hooks should e injected then.
If its blurry after that than I don't know. Blurry font?
FXAA can also be disabled in nvidia control panel if your running anti aliasing and a geforce video card
xeroxzone
Ensign
Ensign

Post by xeroxzone »

Rooster wrote:I am sorry if this has been answered a million times. I tried to click on some links but all links I tried where dead.

Hello I had the same issue at my screen. The shaders looks beautiful but at orbit on day side of planets the surface and atmosphere were so bright that I could not look through, just saw glare white.

I have only changed two things:

At the "MasterEffect.h" file I found the section for the FILMICPASS settings.
(after remove write lock from file…)

//FILMICPASS
// …
#define BaseGamma			1.6	//[0.7 to 2.0] Gamma Curve
// …
I've changed the BaseGamma from 1.6 to 1.4

like this:

//FILMICPASS
// …
#define BaseGamma			1.4	//[0.7 to 2.0] Gamma Curve
// …
Second I changed the BLOOM section settings from…

//BLOOM
// …
#define fBloomThreshold			0.5			     //[0.1 to 1.0] Every pixel brighter than this value triggers bloom.
#define fBloomAmount			0.25				 //[1.0 to 20.0] Intensity of bloom. // why is the pre setted value not like the documentation?
// …
…to…

//BLOOM
// …
#define fBloomThreshold			0.72			     //[0.1 to 1.0] Every pixel brighter than this value triggers bloom.
#define fBloomAmount			0.15				 //[1.0 to 20.0] Intensity of bloom.
// …
Now the gamma is little bit darker, the bloom glow less intense. Everything still looks good, but the planet surface is now in all details visible for me.

Perheps it can help you. Maybe you have to alter the value more or less. But it's definitely worth a try ;)

Thumbs up for this great community mod!

Greetings
Last edited by xeroxzone on Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
xeroxzone
Ensign
Ensign

Post by xeroxzone »

Another topic for the shader representation:

With shaders I've spotted a overexposed issue if a ship jumps in or out. The texture of the light flash hit the outline of the sprite and you can see a rectangle with hard borders where the fading stops. I've corrected this texture at the location "ships/warp.png" and provide this free back to community that everyone can change, use or make what you want with it. This is only a minimal aspect but let things look better ;)

attached texture png and gimp xcf with all layers
warp.zip
texture png and gimp xcf with all layers
(43.13 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
Greetings!
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Hey guys, does this need an update, I don't have the game installed so I wouldn't know if any major changes to fonts, if so I may need to recompile the fonts using the new tools provided for modding.
Updated the screenshots post on page 1, seems the new forums does not have HTML enabled thus my old Iframe code was not working. Will have to use a url for now.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Some coding has changed, which is why you might see old posts (transported from the old forum) with raw code still attached.
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: [EL] Evochron Community Overhaul Project

[align=left]Hello everyone, now I realize I have been away for some time, mostly just life stuff (relationship dramas mostly) and as some were aware I only had my Mobile Hotspot to work with for the entirety of last year. However, I have the Australian NBN now (full speed internet) It has been a while since this project was touched on and for that, I feel kinda ashamed. I mean this project was my life for the better half of last year.

I have had time to step away from the project and I am looking to see if the community would like me to reform this into the next stage of the evolution of the project (ECOP 2 ??) I noticed Power2022's HUD design and thought to myself WOW! Honestly, he has done a great job with it getting the holo sights to work and so forth. I was thinking about letting him take over the reigns of the HUD for the most part while I bring you guys new cockpit designs. Originally I had a cockpit mocked up and working in-game with a pillarless sun shield, It also had larger monitors and I pushed the outer monitors outward a bit further to allow for a widescreen resolution to feel less cramped.

My new idea is based on Powers2022's HUD which has the Target Holo on the dash, so I was thinking how cool it would be to revise the cockpit mesh and remove the center display make that a Holo Table, and add some detail to the cockpit so the Target Holo can safely sit on the dash and look like it is indeed coming from a Holo Projector of sorts. I had some other idea's too, like making a few variations of the cockpit for different roles, (e.g.Freighter, Fighter) for example if you were more into being a trader you could opt to install the Freighter Cockpit

This cockpit would be much larger and substantially longer in length meaning when you looked behind you, you would see your cargo hold and some crates and so on piled up behind the cabin. Just a little immersion thing.

Anyway, I am looking forward to jumping back into the game again sometime soon and just wanted to post this tid bit.[/align]
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Post by matchbox2022 »

Jusssssssssssssst for the record, very little of the Huds "I" created, 99% of it is Masterchu or Sinbads'

I did move around the gauges to look more holographic though.
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

matchbox2022 wrote:Jusssssssssssssst for the record, very little of the Huds "I" created, 99% of it is Masterchu or Sinbads I did move around the gauges to look more holographic though.
Oh right, well none of those will work for the new cockpits I had in mind, the ideas are great though.

I am deffo considering doing an IronMan of sorts cockpit moving the major displays to the side walls. Create seven cockpit mesh designs, two for each play style (Fighter, Trader, Multi-Role) This way everybody has a nice custom cockpit for their play style and a lovely hull to look at.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

You might want to think about a couple cockpit meshes which accurately reflect, on the inside, what is seen on the outside of many of the default ship designs. For example, the current civilian cockpit (default) has a solid roof while many of the civilian ships have a clear panel roof.
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Indeed, this was an idea I was going do and add a sunroof because and maybe some port holes in the rear cabin. It makes more sense though if the reflect more accurately so this I will take into consideration :)
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Thanks. It's at the top of my list for mods I'd like to install. ;)