[EM] Texture replacement not taking effect?

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
CaptJack92a
Ensign
Ensign

Post by CaptJack92a »

I am trying to replace the lens flares and thruster images but mine aren't showing. The flare png in ships replaces the lens flare on the real thrusters right?
Which way\'s up?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

No, as the kit indicates, 'flare.png' is for the countermeasure flare effect. The filenames you're probably looking for are jet1-3.png for the exhaust outlet textures.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
CaptJack92a
Ensign
Ensign

Post by CaptJack92a »

Oh, sorry. I am having trouble understanding/keeping up with the text file. It is a lot of text to keep up with.
Which way\'s up?
Keeper1st
Ensign
Ensign

Re: [EM] Texture replacement not taking effect?

Post by Keeper1st »

Pardon dredging up an old thread but this is as close to what I'm looking for as I can find.

What is the texture name used (in EL) for the horizontal flares that appear on the engine exhaust when viewed from behind? I'd like to reduce, eliminate or change the massive horizontal flare that goes clear across the screen.

I was able to eliminate similar horizontal flares from the nav lights -- navred.png and navgreen.png -- and the countermeasures -- flare.png -- but see no record of what texture is used on the engine exhaust flare (only the "jet" exhaust textures themselves).

While I'm at it, what about the similar horizontal flares used when facing the sun or warping/jumping? I may like to fiddle with these into more of a starburst instead of the always-horizontal effect.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Several of the lens flare effects use a fairly global image setup. For the engine exhaust flares, warp flare, and jump drive flare, you can use a filename 'mex3.png' in the \ships folder.
StarWraith 3D Games
Keeper1st
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Keeper1st »

That's the one! Thanks!

May be a little big for the engines, but I don't want it to be too small when ships are warping in. I'll have to find the right balance.

It's not so bad with the sun glare either:
http://www.keeper1st.com/EL/starflare1.png
It's overpowered by the general brightness when facing directly into it anyway.

Unrelated to this topic, but are there any examples of planet ring textures? The instructions mention their names, but without an example file I'd be shooting in the dark on that. Since I'm not worried about FPS at the moment I'm considering much higher resolution ring textures.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

If you send me a quick reminder e-mail (starwraith.com > contact), I can send an example over. The raw info is they are 1024X1024 DDS images with DXT5 compression.
StarWraith 3D Games