Evochron Mercenary 1.828 available...

Official SW3DG related announcements and news.
Viper
Captain
Captain

Post by Viper »

I have no idea whether this could be related to the server I play on (EU_NL), the 1.828 build or the server build, but I wanted to make a report:

I joined the server earlier today, after which all was fine. Nice low ping, no chat lag and clan stats were updated. But after a while player pings went up, I had around 200 while normally I have around 30-40 on EU_NL. This seemed to get better after a while, but after I ejected in the middle of a jump (not sure if that had anything to do with but I thought I'd mention it) and respawned, my ping was back up to 200, I couldn't see any of the other players on the list or read their chat. My own chat also didn't appear.

I thought it might be me, so I logged off and tried another ship, but I couldn't log back on to the server anymore after this, even though it was still showing on the list. Server stats were also not showing.

Edit:
FYI: I just noticed that I can't connect to the server logs anymore either.

[Edited on 2-12-2012 by Viper]
\"For he today who sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother\"
deMangler
Ensign
Ensign

Post by deMangler »

I notice there is now "Support for domain name multiplayer hosting added (DNS)" but I can see no way to enter a domain into the join field in multiplayer. What am I missing?
I was hoping to use this to share my multiplayer game by giving people the domain of my host session (I have a dynamic IP). But they cannot enter anything but numbers into the field.
:)
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

I joined the server earlier today, after which all was fine. Nice low ping, no chat lag and clan stats were updated. But after a while player pings went up, I had around 200 while normally I have around 30-40 on EU_NL. This seemed to get better after a while, but after I ejected in the middle of a jump (not sure if that had anything to do with but I thought I'd mention it) and respawned, my ping was back up to 200, I couldn't see any of the other players on the list or read their chat. My own chat also didn't appear.
I haven't yet determined what may be going on with the EU_NL server, it seems to be the one reporting problems. I'd suggesting testing on another server in the meantime to see if the problem duplicates.
I notice there is now "Support for domain name multiplayer hosting added (DNS)" but I can see no way to enter a domain into the join field in multiplayer. What am I missing?
The direct IP option will likely eventually support manually entering in labelled names, for now, it should work with the public listing system and clients joining that way.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Viper
Captain
Captain

Post by Viper »

Well granted, I haven't played on any other servers than the EU_NL for a while. But if they would be experiencing the same problem, I bet we would have seen posts of a similar nature from them.
Would you like us (EU_NL players) to keep an eye on the problem and report to you regarding this (either in this thread or elsewhere)?

[Edited on 2-13-2012 by Viper]
\"For he today who sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother\"
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

From post: 130454, Topic: tid=8875, author=Viper wrote:Well granted, I haven't played on any other servers than the EU_NL for a while. But if they would be experiencing the same problem, I bet we would have seen posts of a similar nature from them.
Right-clicking every other listed server gives you the proper readout of players on line. Only EU displays an error message.
soulsacrifice
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by soulsacrifice »

EDIT: Ignore this post.
From post: 129846, Topic: tid=8875, author=Vice wrote:- Locations of linked/friendly players in multiplayer are now displayed on the quadrant map (both large map and regular map).
Quick question, for the next update, would it be possible to also display the players location (possibly as a slightly bigger or different coloured dot so you can differentiate between them) in the quandrant map? That would be really handy.

Maybe it's there already, haven't been on mp in a while but if it is could it also be added to single-player?

[Edited on 19-2-2012 by soulsacrifice]
Profile Share Thread (Links RE-fixed)
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: AFAIK, the player's location has always shown as either an arrow (Top view) or big dot (Rear view) on the Quadrant map.
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

I think he wants all the players to show.
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Would that include AI? (If not, it would come in handy for Bossk and Dengar ... no need to deploy a sensor array to find n00b pilots.)
soulsacrifice
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by soulsacrifice »

Sorry, I thought when you zoomed the map it disappeared but I was wrong. My mistake. :D
Profile Share Thread (Links RE-fixed)
stch
Ensign
Ensign

Post by stch »

Hi everyone,confused a bit
"- Fuel converters can now be directly installed
on ships from station hangars."
on the Ship Frame itself, or in the slot?
tnx.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: A fuel converter is a piece of equipment and you must have an empty equipment slot to buy it. To use it, you will also need a tractor beam.
stch
Ensign
Ensign

Post by stch »

aha "in the slot":(
tnx
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Exactly.
Marcellus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Marcellus »

Vice, just want to say thank you for additional control device support since the last patch, I have a CH combatstick and throttle and was having some problems binding a majority of my keybinds as one device even though CH software allows this.:)

\"Gonna give \'em some Maniac magic!\"
vince0018
Ensign
Ensign

Post by vince0018 »

I was wondering, I noticed in the previous 1.708 update you fixed the afterburner sound:
- Afterburner sound effects updated to eliminate clicks/pops when activating and deactivating.

I haven't played since the 1.708 update, but I was wondering if a similar improvement could be done to the weapon sounds. I remember that was one of the key things that kept me from continuing playing last time.

I usually like turning off the music in-game but when doing so makes it painful to use weapons at all, since between every shot is an annoying popping sound. Even after trying to turn the music back on, it was still very noticeable, to the point where I had to max music and drastically turn down sfx. Which is really the opposite of what I'd like.

I remember when I use to play a long time ago it was the afterburner that put me off, now that that's fixed it's the weapons, so I thought I'd see if this is on the list of things to do. Or perhaps it's been fixed in a more recent patch after 1.708, but didn't see it in the patchnotes.

I haven't played in awhile but was checking up on patches and things because I was considering playing again. Then remembered why I quit last time, the weapon sfx.

I would like to play again, so wanted to get your thoughts on this.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Yes, the sound system for the primary weapons now use multiple channels to avoid playback stopping/restarting. Also, this can vary depending on the sound device you use, some cards are better than others at starting and stopping sounds without popping. With the new sound channel system though, each sound is generally able to finish the entire sequence before being replayed.
StarWraith 3D Games
vince0018
Ensign
Ensign

Post by vince0018 »

Ok just did a little ingame test.
Weapon sounds are awesome now, no popping whatsoever.
But I've still noticed when 'steering' (left,right,up,down) by moving the mouse, the thrusters make little popping sounds.

This is most noticeable when moving the mouse slightly from the middle towards each axis. If you move from middle>right>middle>left>middle>up>middle>down, etc, you can have a constant crackling sound going.

Sorry for bothering you so much, but sound is a big thing for me in games, but mostly when it comes to crackling, which I'm glad has been mostly resolved through patches for this game.

[Edited on 4-6-2012 by vince0018]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

What is the make, model, and driver version of the sound device you are using?
StarWraith 3D Games
vince0018
Ensign
Ensign

Post by vince0018 »

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
Description: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&SUBSYS_103C2A6F&REV_1001
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: RTKVHD64.sys
Driver Version: 6.00.0001.6526 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
Date and Size: 12/13/2011 19:27:30, 4718952 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
HW Accel Level: Basic
Cap Flags: 0x0
Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No
---------------------------
It's not the worst thing in the world, the sound issue.
You've already fixed the afterburner and weapons ones. This one becomes annoying, though, both because I usually play games at a high-ish volume, and because it's quite noticeable when constantly adjusting heading.

EDIT:
And to be a little more clear, the crackle happens when the thruster sound starts/stops. If I move the mouse to the far left/right/top/bottom of the screen so the thruster is constant, then it sounds great. But moving and stopping, causing the thruster sound to stop and play causes crackling.
And it's not just me purposely over-adjusting the ship. I just automatically do adjustments wherever I'm flying.

Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Does the same thing occur when you run the throttle up and down and the engine sound stops/starts, or is it just the maneuvering thrusters?

Edit: this should be completely resolved in the expansion, which is using a new sound setup for those effects. For now, if the current setup isn't working like you want, you can replace the sounds with blanks to remove them or we could try importing custom sounds at different sample rates to see if one format might work better than another.

[Edited on 4-6-2012 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
vince0018
Ensign
Ensign

Post by vince0018 »

It seems it does occur when scrolling the mouse wheel up and down for the engines.

Having the music volume at 50% helps a little, to make it not as noticeable.
I don't know about completely turning off the thruster sound, but if there was a way to turn it down to maybe 25%-10%-ish of the current volume that might be nice.
EDIT: We could try the sample-rate alternative thing if you want, to see if it helps. Because surely I can't be the only one experiencing this. Others probably just don't notice it as easily as me. I've had this issue in other games as well, primarily indie or low budget games. But usually those things never get fixed. It makes me really glad when there's this kind of support for things most people wouldn't consider high priority, but people like me do.

I can't wait for the expansion, by the way, even though it looks like it will probably take till end of the year. And if it's going to fix this issue for me, I could just try to ignore it for now, because it's not hugely intrusive, it's just like once you know it's there you can't stop hearing it, kind of thing.

Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

The effect can vary significantly based on what kind of sound device is used, but a while back, I was able to duplicate it, probably on a similar setup as you have (including a Realtek sound device). So I was able to test against it and work out a tapering system for various effects that stopped the popping on every test system I've tried it on so far. There are several things we can try in the meantime. Send me a quick e-mail from the address you want to receive test files at (send to the address at starwraith.com > contact) and I can send over either reduced volume samples or different rate samples to see if one will reduce or eliminate the effect on your system.
StarWraith 3D Games
vince0018
Ensign
Ensign

Post by vince0018 »

Ok I sent the email.
I was a little over-specific about the topic I was sending the email about, just to be sure you knew who was sending it and why.
Hunter
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Hunter »

I think here I can ask.
What deal with Evochron Expansion?
(Why on forum word Evochron with red line?)
We had a topic Announcements.