Any hints for Mission 19

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Arvoch Alliance.
Nemesis
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Any hints for Mission 19

Post by Nemesis »

Does anybody have any tips for mission 19? The one where I have to deploy the shield-casters in the nebula?
I tried two different tactics:

1) Let your squad attack the Vonari and deploy the casters yourself.

Problem: The casters don't survive two minutes.

2) Dispose the Vonari first and then deploy the casters.

Problem: Once the first wing is finished you have time for only one or two casters before reinforcements arrive...and one pilot alone can't defend casters in two different positions.

I would be open for a way to manipulate the pilot-file...
There will come a day, when those, who are Vonari, strengthen their claws to join the hunt.
We are Vonari. Ours is the prey, ours is the honor.
Our enemies shall shiver at the sound of our voice, when we take revenge on those who tried to crush us at the dawn of our race.
-Vonarian Warrior-Oath-
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Any hints for Mission 19

Post by Vice »

One tactic is to continually push them back away from the placed casters before running back for another one. When there is only one or two hostiles approaching and they are far away from the placed casters, make a run for another one. Once you place it, then fight for a while until you can push the inbound hostiles back. Also, continually lock onto the closest hostile ship (R key) and order your wingmen to attack that ship. When it's destroyed, press R again to make sure you're tracking the closest hostile, then order them to attack that one ship again, repeat as needed. Having your wingmen focus on one ship at a time increases the speed that you can destroy the inbound hostiles. It also lets you focus on a second hostile, further increasing your squadron's effectiveness.

[Edited on 12-15-2007 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Nemesis
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Any hints for Mission 19

Post by Nemesis »

After more tries, I consider this mission as impossible - for me (I am sure there is a way, though).

I used your tactics, but - I regret to say that - the casters lasted longer, before I did. Ordering my squad just to attack, we were able to finish off the first wave of hostiles. The problems begun, when the first caster had been deployed. Keeping the squad together and order them to engage one ship at a time leads to the destruction of the first caster before I can do anything.

Can't I just HexEdit the pilot-file?
There will come a day, when those, who are Vonari, strengthen their claws to join the hunt.
We are Vonari. Ours is the prey, ours is the honor.
Our enemies shall shiver at the sound of our voice, when we take revenge on those who tried to crush us at the dawn of our race.
-Vonarian Warrior-Oath-
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Any hints for Mission 19

Post by Vice »

The easiest way would be to just change the mission file (mission18.txt) to have only 2 or 3 hostiles, making the objective much easier.
StarWraith 3D Games
Poodle
Ensign
Ensign

Any hints for Mission 19

Post by Poodle »

Or, alternatively, change the hostiles to 1 and make the hostile a Ferret with reinforcements a million meters away and the objective 500 meters away from where you start.
Hehe, just for extreme kicks.

[Edited on 7-19-2008 by Poodle]
Recorded Klingon Kills: 4
Recorded Deaths by Klingon: 2
Star King
Commander
Commander

Any hints for Mission 19

Post by Star King »

Why make it easy when the true fun is the difficulty. After two weeks of playing this game I am on mission 19 and plan on conquering this mission today.
How many missions do we get?
:)

[Edited on 12-25-2008 by Star King]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Any hints for Mission 19

Post by Vice »

25 for the campaign, so you are getting there. Then you can take on the individual missions in the import mode and also design your own.
StarWraith 3D Games
Chicki
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Any hints for Mission 19

Post by Chicki »

Man, it would sure be nice if we had a graphical mission design interface, rather than having to edit text file. That would be sweet. Anyone up for it?