ERROR 99

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Arvoch Alliance.
Erougn
Ensign
Ensign

ERROR 99

Post by Erougn »

When I stumbled on this game I was psyched and am looking forward to buying it if the demo plays as good as it looks.

On first install of the demo, I got the same ERROR 31 that was posted in these forums. Once I reinstalled the updated version, I got to the briefing, but when I try to launch I get ERROR 99 and a crash.....any help?

Thanks ahead of time :-)
Burn the Land, boil the sea, you can\'t take the sky from me.
Erougn
Ensign
Ensign

ERROR 99

Post by Erougn »

I rebooted, and now it gets to the loading screen after I select launch and I get ERROR 10

HELP!
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

ERROR 99

Post by tha_rami »

Hey there Erougn,

Although I can be of little assistance, usually ERROR 99 / Runtime 10 indicates an error in loading files - it can be caused by a missing file, corrupted files, or magnetic forcefields affecting the hardware in your computer, caused by variations in solar radiation. Another reinstallation until Vice checks back can never hurt - it's worth the try. Vice will be able to help you out.

Welcome to SW3D Forums :).

[Edited on 13-9-07 by tha_rami]
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

ERROR 99

Post by Vice »

As Rami points out, those are file access errors. Since you are using a fresh installation, the most likely cause is something preventing the game from loading files it needs. Check your background running tasks and make sure there aren't any anti-virus programs running that could interfere with games/programs as several can. The other possible cause is low memory resources. Does your system meet the minimum requirements and do you have at least 300 MB of free physical memory as indicated in Start > Run > MSINFO32 > System Summary (near the bottom of the window)?

[Edited on 9-13-2007 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

ERROR 99

Post by tha_rami »

Oh, and if you're using Vista and installed into the Program Files directory, that might cause issues with UAC, hypothetically.
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

ERROR 99

Post by Vice »

Actually, that's ok, you can install the game in a Program Files folder and it will still run just fine since it stores critical files that it needs to edit in the \\sw3dg folder. That's the primary reason the game files can be kept independent of the files that need to be edited by the game. The most likely causes are either an outside program interfering with the game (such as an anti-virus program) or lack of system memory.
StarWraith 3D Games
Erougn
Ensign
Ensign

ERROR 99

Post by Erougn »

Thanks for the quick replies, I toned down my security and it's working fine.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

ERROR 99

Post by Vice »

Glad that worked. For future reference for other players, do you mind posting the name of the security program(s) you used?

StarWraith 3D Games
Erougn
Ensign
Ensign

ERROR 99

Post by Erougn »

Sure, I use PC Tools Spyware Doctor with OnGuard. I had to disable the OnGuard feature to stop the error messages.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

ERROR 99

Post by Vice »

Ok, thanks. IIRC, that is one of several programs that can cause such problems with a variety of games and applications. It's also notorious for false positives, which is part of the reason it can cause such problems. I've also heard that SD reports three instances of spyware on a fresh installation of Windows XP SP2, lol. Some suggest it actually plants a few files on a user's system to make them think they have spyware, so they then have to purchase the program to remove what was put there by the program itself. Sounds a little conspiratorial to me, I suspect that if it did report that, it's likely just due to its false positive problems. But I'd recommend avoiding the program just based on the other problems reported around the net regarding what it does to system reliability, performance, resource consumption, false positives, and program interference.

I have heard good things about Trend Micro's PC-Cillin and Avast for anti-virus protection. For anti-spyware, either Ad-aware or SpyBot seem to be popular, reliable, and low on system resources. Others may have additional recommendations.

StarWraith 3D Games