texturing question.........

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Arvoch Alliance.
Cellinsky
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Cellinsky »

Hi

Excellent spacesim. Superb physics an immersive combat. Easy to use trading in alliance. Well done and a good balancing. I played the old I-War sries, Elite and now occasionally X3 (top graphics but feels very steril).

I have some spacecraft designs hanging around on my disk, wich I did just for fun. So I converted one for this sim. It works well, but shows no textures, no matter what I try:

AC3D ----------> x (mesh ok, shows no textures)
MAX9 ----------> x (mesh ok, shows no textures, ltest panda-exporter)
Deep Exploration -------------> x (mesh ok, no textures, but this one comes closest to the sample-file if I compare the two ascii-files)

I also tried some different tex-namings: MPLANE15.JPG, HULL00,JPG etc. placed in "ships" or even in the root. I also tried some textures-folders but had no luck. However, as soon as I rename one of my textures to MPLANE01.JPG, it shows up on the sip in the first slot, So Im sure, its not the textures

itself. So it must be something with the synthax in the x-file. The sample file comes with no textures attaced, so I cant compare.......

Not a big thing however, just curious................
Sorry for the bad spelling, but english is not my native tongue.

thanks for the great work
Marcel

[Edited on 7-14-2007 by Cellinsky]
verbosity
Captain
Captain

Post by verbosity »

I tried to help a friend with a similar issue, A couple of questions......

do other ships of the same type show the texture?

in the radar section does it show the texture when you are targeting a ship of the same type?

I've been told that there are different versions of the .x format, someone managed to fix the issues I had, but then accidentally deleted the 'fixed' version.

try exporting it to another format ( there are others supported, but I'm not sure which).

[Edited on 7-14-2007 by verbosity]

EDIT: I think .MDS format might work better, but depending on how it was made sometimes the rotation of the ship needs to be changed............

[Edited on 7-14-2007 by verbosity]
verbsleagues.co.uk sw3dg web stats systems
uaithne.com eco-living project
rulerofzu.com free fantasy mmorpg
jesterscup.com webby stuffies
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Hello and welcome.

The X model format (at least the varieties supported in my games) generally doesn't use JPG. So if you save the textures for your models in BMP instead of JPG, they should load and work fine (most modelling programs let you save the textures as bitmaps when you save the model). Be sure to UV map them and save them with the model so the textures are linked with the model in code. You can import just textures by themselves using the JPG format to reskin the built-in models, but a different X model compatible format is needed for importing a complete textured mesh model. If it continues to give you trouble, I can take a look at the model you're using to see if it might be something else.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Cellinsky
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Cellinsky »

Thank you very much for the tips! It works now. Since you only mentioned jpegs in the tutorial, I didnt try plain bmps.
Its always the easy things I miss.......:D

Could you please give me a hint more?

What are the units you use in youre sims? I took the size of the ship from youre sample-file (ship15.x). You point out, that the default value is something like 595.0 percent. I had mine to set around 150.0 to get the propper size. It works ok in-game and also in the weapons-screen. But in the breafing-screen, they look like five times the size of the carrier! Must be something with the scaling?

Are there always two exhaust effects? And only the size and the positioning of both can be customized?

It seems that the engine does not support material propertys like shininess, emmissive, specular, transparency or diffuse in combination with a map? Diffuse works, if no texture is applied, that I found out.

Just curious here, its very much ok like it is. And I enjoy flying my own ships. Thank you very much for making this possible:D:D:D

Marcel

verbosity
Captain
Captain

Post by verbosity »

Whoa! I love 'em !!!

any chance on you posting them here for other users to fly? I wanna go on the first one
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

Way to go, Cellinsky! They are beautiful indeed!
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Post by tha_rami »

Looks like a Alliance-reworked Vonarian craft. Pretty indeed.
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

What are the units you use in youre sims? I took the size of the ship from youre sample-file (ship15.x). You point out, that the default value is something like 595.0 percent. I had mine to set around 150.0 to get the propper size. It works ok in-game and also in the weapons-screen. But in the breafing-screen, they look like five times the size of the carrier! Must be something with the scaling?
That may be a bug. If you scaled them down in your modelling program to match the 595 level prior to importing, they'd probably match up in the briefing menu, but it's possible the briefing menu doesn't have the same scaling alignment routine that the weapon menu and game engine uses. That's something I'll investigate further and it should be corrected in the next update.
Are there always two exhaust effects? And only the size and the positioning of both can be customized?
Yes and yes.
It seems that the engine does not support material propertys like shininess, emmissive, specular, transparency or diffuse in combination with a map? Diffuse works, if no texture is applied, that I found out.
Correct, the engine does not support such effects. That may change for one or two of them in the not too distant future though.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Cellinsky
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Cellinsky »

Superb support here!! Thank you all.
That may be a bug. If you scaled them down in your modelling program to match the 595 level prior to importing, they'd probably match up in the briefing menu, but it's possible the briefing menu doesn't have the same scaling alignment routine that the weapon menu and game engine uses. That's something I'll investigate further and it should be corrected in the next update.
Thats what I assumed. I will try that asap.
Correct, the engine does not support such effects. That may change for one or two of them in the not too distant future though.
Looking forward to that. Some metallic feffects and variations with colored polys would be nice. Lots of posibilities here.... Not high on the list in the heat of combat though.
any chance on you posting them here for other users to fly?"
If someone is interested, I can upload them. I made them for myself and to impress my 8 year old son;) on the first hand. Ans its still a bit of tweaking required. Sparetime is a little on the low side this days...............

Cheers, Marcel
verbosity
Captain
Captain

Post by verbosity »

any chance on you posting them here for other users to fly?"
If someone is interested, I can upload them. I made them for myself and to impress my 8 year old son;) on the first hand. Ans its still a bit of tweaking required. Sparetime is a little on the low side this days...............
PLEASE please do!!!

I think they are great,

did I say please?