Updating

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Arvoch Alliance.
Chicki
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Updating

Post by Chicki »

Hi. It says on the dl page that if I wanna update, I should uninstall my older version. If I do that, will I hafta dig up my registration info and re enter it? How do I save my pilot info and game settings? Thanks in advance.
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Updating

Post by tha_rami »

Hey chicki, I recommend to wait with uninstalling until you've got answer to this. The pilot files, if not mistaken, can be copied by copying the 'pilotX.sw' files, where X is a number.

So, first install the new version, copy the pilot files, load the newly installed Arvoch Conflict, check if it works (enter reg-data, if needed - I recall not) and if everything works remove the old installation.
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
Jeremy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Updating

Post by Jeremy »

Chicki -

you don't need to uninstall to upgrade. I never did and it always worked fine. Just install it over the old one(or not if you don't want)
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Updating

Post by tha_rami »

No Jeremy, it´s the Vista protection thing, it will be installed in:

C:\\SW3DG\\Arvoch Conflict\\

Instead of in:

C:\\Program Files\\Arvoch Conflict\\
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
Jeremy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Updating

Post by Jeremy »

Oh, that.

Sorry, my mistake. :)
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Updating

Post by Vice »

Uninstalling should never remove the game data files, those are kept in the data folder (\\sw3dg\\gamename) as a backup in case you want to reinstall the game later. So uninstalling an older build simply removes the game files from the Program Files folder, then installing the new version puts the game files in the same folder in \\sw3dg. You can also manually remove the old game files after installation, if you want to. With that said, I always recommend backing up your pilot profiles and settings occasionally (and right before an update is a good time to do this). Simply copy the \\sw3dg\\arvochconflict to a backup location, or copy the individual files in that folder with the .SW and .CFG extensions (none of the other files are required to backup). Those files by themselves are usually small enough to even save on a floppy, but a USB drive or some other external drive is another good way to do a backup.

[Edited on 6-30-2007 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations