Standalone MP server for AC

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Arvoch Alliance.
G-LOK
Ensign
Ensign

Post by G-LOK »

I have been reading through the boards and sites and see there is a stand-alone MP server for EA.

Does this same server work of AC clients?
-=GLOK
-------------------------------------------------
If we should have to fight, we should be prepared to so so from the neck up instead of from the neck down ~Jimmy Doolittle
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

No, since the game doesn't require (or even have an application for) the use of a persistent server hosting system. AC's multiplayer is multi-stage, where players join a common lobby on a server, can chat for a while, then the host is manually in control of advancing the game to the ship and weapon selection menu, then advancing it again to gameplay. So the multiplayer system is entirely on demand, the host creates a session when it's needed and is control of menu and gameplay selection/progression.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
G-LOK
Ensign
Ensign

Post by G-LOK »

That totally makes sense based on the interface I saw, and maybe I misunderstood what I was seeing. I need to mess with it a bit.

I was just thinking it would be cool to have a persistent server that ran timed games. The idea was you join in with the match in progress. Maybe have some AI pilots fill in when humas are not present to encourage people to hang around for a bit. But, I don't know how much work that is and it may not be justified. I've only written simple apps and never any games.

-=G-LOK

[Edited on 6-3-2007 by G-LOK]
-=GLOK
-------------------------------------------------
If we should have to fight, we should be prepared to so so from the neck up instead of from the neck down ~Jimmy Doolittle