Newbs R Us

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Arvoch Alliance.
X_Kalibur
Ensign
Ensign

Newbs R Us

Post by X_Kalibur »

I DL the Arvoch demo, totally love it...waiting to buy new vid card to get the full effect. A new joystick wouldn't hurt either...

I'm looking for clans and such, I noticed a few but it seems the posts on those were ancient. Perhaps I will start my own....

I'm also curious, is there any development making this game completely free roaming (ie Freelancer), to different sectors, etc. or is it already like that on multiplayer? Absolute Newb sorry.

Anyhow, I really blow at this game so I need some practice and such. I would love to learn through multiplayer games. Please hit up my instant messenger after 6:30 PM CST USA
x_kalibur. engage.destroy.conquer
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Newbs R Us

Post by tha_rami »

Check out www.evochron.com for EvoChron, which is more free-roaming than Arvoch Conflict.
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
verbosity
Captain
Captain

Newbs R Us

Post by verbosity »

Originally posted by X_Kalibur
I'm also curious, is there any development making this game completely free roaming (ie Freelancer), to different sectors, etc. or is it already like that on multiplayer? Absolute Newb sorry.
For that you want to try EvoChron, flight controls are similar but it's free-roaming, basically do what you want, and it has MP as well
verbsleagues.co.uk sw3dg web stats systems
uaithne.com eco-living project
rulerofzu.com free fantasy mmorpg
jesterscup.com webby stuffies
X_Kalibur
Ensign
Ensign

Newbs R Us

Post by X_Kalibur »

Sweet I will be sure to try it out as well...anyone want a newb in their clan??
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Newbs R Us

Post by tha_rami »

Try [NS] (New School) or [SW] (Star Wolves), they usually accept anyone. [EF] (Elite Fusion) usually accepts only the more elite players, so it's a perfect place to defect to later on in the game.
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
verbosity
Captain
Captain

Newbs R Us

Post by verbosity »

Originally posted by tha_rami
Try [NS] (New School) or [SW] (Star Wolves), they usually accept anyone.
HuH, Clan NewSchool [NS] is here for the purpose of helping/training the newbies......

X_Kalibur you are more than welcome....

BTW has ANYONE seen an [EF] pilot in MP in the past few months? no I thought not, maybe they are scared of facing the armada that is [NS]
Jeremy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Newbs R Us

Post by Jeremy »

Listen, Verb - is it my fault I can't connect to MP?! :mad: You know I'd clobber your whole "armada" if I could. ;):D

And without me Elite Fusion... it hides in the shadows, waiting...

(Doggone it...)
X_Kalibur
Ensign
Ensign

Newbs R Us

Post by X_Kalibur »

So is the MP on EvoChron similar to Freelancer?? How many players are allowed online at once, or is it just hosts with 8 players roaming the Universe?? I really loved the way Freelancer was set up so could someone compare the games for me?

And [NS] sounds pretty cool...I think I might fly solo for a bit, play the Han Solo card...all I need now is a Wookie...
Jeremy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Newbs R Us

Post by Jeremy »

MP in Evochron is mostly PvP right now - Clan battles.

I'm afraid it's true though - the New School Clan is much more numerous - and more violent. Fulcrum Torpedoes are inevitably going to be fired whenever you meet up with one of Verbosity's trigger-happy lieutenants. :D
verbosity
Captain
Captain

Newbs R Us

Post by verbosity »

Currently you can 24 players online at once..........

Clan NewSchool is peaceful to non-clanned pilots (unless they request a 'freefire' or fire upon us.), rumours of an aggresive 'splinter cell' within [NS] are totally untrue, though we have recieved unconfirmed of attacks from within the un-charted systems

Fulcrum torpedo attack/defence is a standard part of [NS] training....

Jer, I know your having Issues in regrads to Connecting, but still your clan is non-existant ATM. though I wouldn't worry about AL we'll take care of him for you.............
Jeremy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Newbs R Us

Post by Jeremy »

Uhm - thanks... I think.
X_Kalibur
Ensign
Ensign

Newbs R Us

Post by X_Kalibur »

verbosity, when are you usually online, or is there a server always up? i'm interested in New School...

The ranks on the forum (ie commander, captain), where do those come from, MP?

...'splinter cell'??? ...of course they don't exist........ ;)
TRA_Pilotbaby64
Ensign
Ensign

Newbs R Us

Post by TRA_Pilotbaby64 »

There is plenty of room for newbees in TRA (The Rebel Alliance) as well..

www.darkjedi.org/club/TRA

We have just started to support Arvoch, and we are all newbs in it, so we are at an even state :)

Feel free to visit our page, and look around.

We can allways use one more AC pilot :)
verbosity
Captain
Captain

Newbs R Us

Post by verbosity »

I'm online lots, though I don't fly as much as I'd like, but the server is always on........

the Ranks on the forum are dependant on how many posts you have made.
X_Kalibur
Ensign
Ensign

Newbs R Us

Post by X_Kalibur »

guys, i've been playing campaign and MP, and every single place I go there are no freakin' contracts, I'm running out of fuel, and I always encounter ENEMIES!!!! I never attacked anyone to deserve the rivalry and it's really pissin me off to have to jump around the map everywhere to dodge enemies!!! what the hell is goin on here!??
shewter
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Newbs R Us

Post by shewter »

I think the contracts are only available in the SP freeform mode
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Newbs R Us

Post by Vice »

guys, i've been playing campaign and MP, and every single place I go there are no freakin' contracts, I'm running out of fuel, and I always encounter ENEMIES!!!! I never attacked anyone to deserve the rivalry and it's really pissin me off to have to jump around the map everywhere to dodge enemies!!! what the hell is goin on here!??
Sounds like you entered hostile space before you were equipped for it. Stay in Sapphire or another low system until you've upgraded your ship a bit (especially weapons) and have enough money to cover fuel costs. Mine, trade, and recover for a while to earn some credits. You can do combat early on, but it usually takes some practice before your success rate increases (if you think you can handle it, I recommend sticking to light attack and patrol contracts in New Hope or closer to Sapphire). Check your reputation markers and avoid red systems until you're ready for them.

Also, check the EA 2.0 forum for tips and tactics:

http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1761

[Edited on 4-19-2007 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
verbosity
Captain
Captain

Newbs R Us

Post by verbosity »

Originally posted by X_Kalibur
guys, i've been playing campaign and MP, and every single place I go there are no freakin' contracts, I'm running out of fuel, and I always encounter ENEMIES!!!!
Yup, MP has no contracts and only has Red AI, there are many other ways to make cash and MP can actually be easier when you visit the higher systems. I'd wait till you could afford a Striker with resonable weaponary, and knew how to use it before entering MP....

Vice's Advice is pretty much the best you can get.............
X_Kalibur
Ensign
Ensign

Newbs R Us

Post by X_Kalibur »

well...i've been playing evochron and have found that this is probably one of the most frustrating games...i can see how hard it is to get started, and it really takes the fun out of the game...a great game, but much needed work...some points i want to make:

1. takes forever to kill enemies, of course better weapons=easier kills
2. fuel is waaay overpriced, but i have been getting use to using inertia
3. why can't i target freighters? and without missiles you're screwed anyways...
4. planet landing and leaving is really frustrating, and there should be more atmosphere, air, clouds, or just space in general between the atmosphere and land.
5. what about different music during battle, such as Freelancer (not trying to compare)
6. $25 might be a bit much for the stage of development this game is in
7. overall i like it and will continue to play, graphics are sweet and it is a great 'flight simulator'...

I do realize that I am new to the game and these points are debateable, but I just wanted to throw them out there so perhaps I could get a better understanding.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Newbs R Us

Post by Vice »

1 - You earn your capabilities. Weak weapons equate to taking forever to kill anything. Strong weapons equate to quickly destroying them.

2 - Just avoid wasting it. Inertia is a big step in that direction. Don't overuse your jump drive. Fly straight lines, avoid unnecessary fights, don't use the afterburner unless you absolutely have to. Once you're financially well established, fuel stops barely make an impact on your account.

3 - http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtop ... 3#pid21153
It's fairly easy to take out super freighters with cannons, just need to practice and learn the tactics.

4 - No frustration specifics, so no way to respond there. Smaller planets have been repeatedly requested to shorten time, but I generally prefer larger more realistic sizes... stay tuned...

5 - You can import your own or run media player in the background with tracks you like.
StarWraith 3D Games
Pariah
Ensign
Ensign

Newbs R Us

Post by Pariah »

Vice said:
I generally prefer larger more realistic sizes... stay tuned...
Me too. Excellent news.
X_Kalibur
Ensign
Ensign

Newbs R Us

Post by X_Kalibur »

thanks for the tips vice...now on the planets, here's what i find difficult:

1. i don't like how i can be attacked while in dock, but it does add to the realism of the game.
2. there needs to be more space in between land and atmosphere to give room to fly in, because without it you have to fly in a very narrow space nailing mountains and skimming atmo
3. when i'm lifting off, the green squares ALWAYS disappear after about 2 of them and i lose my sense of direction...when that happens i usually just point upwards, raise the shields, and turbo out...
4. i would like to be able to target the base, or is that already possible?

game gets better and better the more i play!
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Newbs R Us

Post by Vice »

1 - Time pressure, risk, and challenge. However, there are steps you can take to reduce your exposure and extend the time you have to safely dock. Check out the tips section in the forum and consider buying station licenses in market hotspots so you can safely buy/sell for as long as you want.

2 - Yup. Many players prefer smaller planets for the reduced time benefit. But many others prefer a size that's more realistic. I'm working on something for this other group of players (who also have many other design requests).

3 - Yeah, that's when they toggle from near station mode. Use your HUD ladders for guidance. They switch to planetary mode when you enter an atmosphere and they line up with the planet's horizon in that mode. When they are at 90 degrees, you are flying straight up away from the planet.

4 - Ship targeting is reserved for ships you can trade with using the trade console and effectively fight. This also lets you keep track of any possible hostile in the area while at the same time monitoring your position in relation to the base (rather than having to disable/turn off tracking a ship).
game gets better and better the more i play!
I think that's an important point you made here. At first, it sure seems complicated and difficult, even to make just a little progress. But as you learn the gameplay mechanics, learn how to handle the physics, master combat, make some money, and find some hidden benefits, it becomes much more rewarding (and hopefully fun) to play. And hopefully you'll discover that the challenge and diversity that seemed frustrating early in the game help make it more rewarding to accomplish various things and extend the longevity of gameplay. There's just a lot of layers of control and gameplay to learn, which can be very challenging at first.
StarWraith 3D Games
Jeremy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Newbs R Us

Post by Jeremy »

1. Yes, it does add to the realism - and I think Vice said in a future update buying station licenses will help protect you while docked. ;)

2. That is purposeful - it's supposed to be harder to fly around the planet. Your ship is made for space flight, after all.

3. Upward is the direction to go... I usually ignore the green rectangles.

4. The planet base? Docking stations are not targetable or damagable.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Newbs R Us

Post by Vice »

and I think Vice said in a future update buying station licenses will help protect you while docked.
Yup:

http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2101
StarWraith 3D Games