Major changes in graphics rendering to improve performance and appearance...

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Arvoch Alliance.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Due to some performance issues occuring on older/slower systems (which have, ironically, resurfaced in Windows Vista on fast systems), I have been reworking much of the rendering system used in AC and EA 2.0. Symptoms of these performance problems include the mouse pointer gradually slowing down in response to input, very low framerates when a lot of text is on the screen, and some non-performance related problems such as misaligned console/menu options in certain resolutions. To resolve these problems, I am in the process of removing the existing 2D text/graphics system and introducing a new 3D rendering system for such graphics (so virtually all graphics will be rendered as part of the 3D scene, no more layering with 2D and 3D graphics). This is a major project and it has consumed much of my coding time over the last several weeks. But the end result has proven to be very effective at resolving these problems. I'll review an outline of the changes below along with a timeline for when the new system will be adopted by each game.

The dedicated server program for EA 2.0 was the first to receive an update to use the new 3D system. Since it's release, it has performed far better than the 2D version (up 300% or more on some systems) and I've received positive feedback on the appearance of the new 'futuristic' font used. There is a softening of the edges of the text, due to the 3D rendering, but this has received more positive feedback than negative... most players seem to prefer the new softer appearance since it's less pixelated and is now subject to custom rendering settings such as anisotropic filtering and anti-aliasing.

The next to receive the update was Arvoch Conflict. Version 1.428 is available for download now and this update will likely go 'live' in about a week or two. Performance gains have also been extremely positive, often 300% or better on some systems. It may not cure all performance problems on all systems, but it has helped significantly on systems with limited video memory, slow/old 3D video systems, and/or slow/old CPU's. Menu options now also align much better in all tested resolutions.

The next to receive the update is Evochron Alliance 2.0. The process will likely take some time, but will hopefully be ready within a few weeks. The change will likely resolve console alignment problems (navigation entry fields for example) and performance problems at the same time.

Now to answer a few quick (somewhat common) concerns:

Compatibility? Yes, the new versions of the games are just as compatible as before. They will still be compatible with Windows 98 (currently more widely used than Vista anyway), XP, and Vista.

System requirements? The changes will not increase system requirements. If anything, the games will now run on slower systems that may have struggled with them before.

Change in appearance? Yes, the new font is different than the 'Arial' font used before. It's now more futuristic looking and is rendering in 3D. The edges of the text are softened and may blur substantially in lower resolutions. So it is recommended that the games be played in at least 1024X768 or higher resolution (which apparently about 98% or more of you already do). Lower resolutions will still work just fine, but the text quality may be lower. Text is now rendered as part of the 3D scene, you can apply display settings in your device's control panel to enhance the appearance of text in the same way you can enhance the appearance of the scene overall as desired.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Post by tha_rami »

Thumbs up. Good luck with the further conversions.
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
d_k_k_y
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by d_k_k_y »

Good news. I´ll give the new AC a go :-)
StarWolves Clan
Captain
Jeremy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jeremy »

Great! :)

*downloads*
verbosity
Captain
Captain

Post by verbosity »

Originally posted by Jeremy
Great! :)

*downloads*
And I have to say the new dedicated server is fantastic,:cool::cool:
verbsleagues.co.uk sw3dg web stats systems
uaithne.com eco-living project
rulerofzu.com free fantasy mmorpg
jesterscup.com webby stuffies
spaceCADETzoom
Ensign
Ensign

Post by spaceCADETzoom »

I'm sorry if this question's dumb, I'm a big newbie to this series and can't even say I've been lurking long. But is there a plan to update the graphics of Arvoch to the quality found in Evochron Legends? I just bought EL the other day minutes after I DLed the demo. Love this series. I did the same with Arvoch recently because I was looking to satiate my X-Wing / Tie Fighter craving... I just wish it looked more like EL rather than EL's predecessor. I'm playing both for different reasons, but Arvoch has a graphical disadvantage that keeps taking me out of the game. I prefer its structure and missions, at times. Wish it were equal, is that possible? Still love both, just wondering.
spaceCADETzoom
Ensign
Ensign

Post by spaceCADETzoom »

Umm, I keep playing both and maybe the graphics aren't different at all. I dunno. I think the mission brief, main menu look less "new" than EL and I have a mental block. And the eye candy of planets, space stations, nebula, etc, aren't as prevalent in Arvoch due to its scope. Space just looks more colorful in EL, I think, because of the places you go and theres more to see. I dunno. Either way, cool games, I need to get my brain checked, maybe.
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

Hi, spaceCadetzoom!
Welcome to the forum and the games.
Arvoch is an older game and is part of the evolution of the game series. Admittedley, it may lack some of the "eye candy" as you described, especially compared to "Legends".
But Arvoch was designed to fill a different role and is less, "open" then Legends.
I might point out that the Arvoch load is considerable smaller than Legends.

To answer your question, there are no plans to upgrade the graphics of Arvoch at this time.
Our creator, Vice, may have more to add later.
Thanks for joining the forum and I hope you enjoy both games to the fullest!
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

I do not have Arvoch. I started with Evochron Renegades before Legends came out. I liked it so much that when I read and heard about Legends I had to have Legends. And I'm glad I did! Legends is kind of a sequel to Arvoch and Renegades the Beacon quest of Renegades is still in Legends but a little bit different in the end in Legends, and then there is the Legend Beacon quest itself. Since I finnished the beacon quest and achieved the highest rank in Renegades and found all the hidden locations gates, whormholes etc....
I got Legends and been playing Legends only, I have no need for Renegades anymore!
Legends has so much more to offer then Renegades. But i'm still glad I got to play Renegades and it made me enjoy and appreciate Legends more!;););)
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good