Wing formations?

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Arvoch Alliance.
XinCasa
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Wing formations?

Post by XinCasa »

Greetings fellow pilots. My question is: What are the differences between each of the wing formations spiral, wedge, curve and box, and what are their individual effects in dogfighting? :)
Self-interest rules. Nothing is ever as it seems cuz no 2 people see the same thing the same way. Reality is illusion, and objectivity is void. Self-interest rules absolutely.
Busch
Captain
Captain

Wing formations?

Post by Busch »

Hey XinCasa! :) Each of the formations are a 'set-piece', which conform your squads into various tactical approaches, in order to meet the threat of the adversarial formations you'll find in AA. Each have their benefits and draw-backs, in the battle-space. An experienced squadron lead may make use of one, two, or all of the formations for their squads as the tactical situation evolves. The spiral and box formations appear to be more of defensive postures, while the curve and wedge postures appear to be purely offensive posturing. The initial formation may not survive the first few seconds of contact. Nice to have alternate plans and formation options available. :) :cool::cool:
Commander
[SW] Clan Squadron Lead - Retired
Call Sign: Busch
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Wing formations?

Post by Marvin »

About the only advantage I could see between formations was that some of them place your squadron in front of you and others put them behind you. Personally, I set a waypoint far away from the action and order my squadron to hold at that location until I can scope out the enemy.
XinCasa
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Wing formations?

Post by XinCasa »

From post: 172957, Topic: tid=11621, author=Busch wrote:Hey XinCasa! :) Each of the formations are a 'set-piece', which conform your squads into various tactical approaches, in order to meet the threat of the adversarial formations you'll find in AA. Each have their benefits and draw-backs, in the battle-space. An experienced squadron lead may make use of one, two, or all of the formations for their squads as the tactical situation evolves. The spiral and box formations appear to be more of defensive postures, while the curve and wedge postures appear to be purely offensive posturing. The initial formation may not survive the first few seconds of contact. Nice to have alternate plans and formation options available. :) :cool::cool:
"Sup Busch? When you say "appear to be" what is your viewing reference, and how do we determine which formation "meets the threat of the adversarial formations?" Is there an internet url that describes the differences in a pictorial. :)
Self-interest rules. Nothing is ever as it seems cuz no 2 people see the same thing the same way. Reality is illusion, and objectivity is void. Self-interest rules absolutely.
Busch
Captain
Captain

Wing formations?

Post by Busch »

I'd say that experience with the formations will give you the information to make those informed decisions. I am not aware of the location of any description/detailing of the formation differences. I'm not at all adept with FRAPS, or anything approaching that facility. Nor am I aware of anything on the U-tubes. That doesn't mean that there isn't some thing that may be found.

When I say 'appear', it is simply that - what appears to me to be true or valid, based on my small experience and observations. Now, the spiral and box formations 'appear' to be defensive, based on my observations of the squads' implementation of the order, and the flight characteristics of the formation therewith exhibited. The 'box' formation, for the want of a better term, might also be considered something of an 'englobement' maneuver, and defensive. But each loosely so, as they may also be used as an offensive maneuver, like the curve or wedge, based on the totality of circumstances of the fur ball in which one is engaged.

And, Marv has a very good point. Whether you lead from the front, or from the rear, it's a good idea to get some recon done first, as time allows, before committing squadron assets. ;)
Commander
[SW] Clan Squadron Lead - Retired
Call Sign: Busch
XinCasa
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Wing formations?

Post by XinCasa »

Understood. :)