"OVER CAPACITY. POWER CORE REDUCED"

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Arvoch Alliance.
KingArthur
Commander
Commander

Post by KingArthur »

VICE. I'm a little lost in my Understanding of WHY I Receive this Message when I Replace My FULCRUM DRIVE with a CANNON HEATSINK. A Cannon Heatsink is a PASSIVE piece of Equipment Drawing NO POWER. It Simply Helps your PRIMARIES COOL FASTER by ABSORBING AND DISSIPATING HEAT, giving you an improved FIRE RATE. Again, Drawing NO POWER from the CORE. So this should have NO BEARING on ENERGY CONSUMPTION.

If I Had Replaced the FULCRUM DRIVE with a STEALTH GEN or an AMS I Could See Why I would Receive this Message as I have INCREASED CONTINUOUS POWER CONSUPTION and have EXCEEDED the CORES OUTPUT.

Is there any way you could Alter the "Reduced Power" MODE when I Replace my FULCRUM DRIVE with a PASSIVE PEICE OF EQUIPMENT like the CANNON HEATSINK.

I Believe it would be in Keeping with Your TRUE POWER CONSUPTION REQUIREMENTS.
\"HONOR AND INTEGRITY ALWAYS\"
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

minor point, but nothing on your ship is "passive" - some techy stuff just does its job without needing fiddling with :)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:o I'm confused ... why would you want to replace your jump drive? (Oh, wait ... this is Arvoch ... single-sector missions ... jump drives aren't required.) Never mind.
KingArthur
Commander
Commander

Post by KingArthur »

A "HEATSINK" Is a Piece of METAL that, by Virtue of it's Heat Conducting Properties, Cools your PRIMARIES. NO Energy Needed.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

A "HEATSINK EQUIPMENT" can be passive or active depending relatively speaking on the technology used!....In the future probably they have super cooling technologies to cool the HEATSINKS so that they can keep absorbing and dissipating heat just like the water cooled Heat sinks in some computers. There are even heat sinks now a days that are hollow on the inside and have coolants running through the hollow parts of the heat sinks to dissipate the heat!.....;):cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
KingArthur
Commander
Commander

Post by KingArthur »

MAARS. Good Point, I DID Think of That, but I STILL BELIEVE the "CANNON HEATSINK" Operates Just as the HEATSINK on your CPU Does.
DennyMala
Captain
Captain

Post by DennyMala »

IIRC, the heatsink will not only cool your weapons faster but add another couple of barrels to your frame basically duplicating your fire rate.

Not something that seem passive on the energy balance...
Best regards

[IM] DennyMala
Nubarus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Nubarus »

I don't know about you Inked but my CPU cooler has a power connector attached on it so it's not a passive cooler at all. As a 4 barrel particle cannon will generate a lot more heat then a CPU I don't think a passive cooler will do you much good, especially since you need airflow for passive cooling and since space is a vacuum I don't see a lot of airflow happening there. I am more thinking in the the lines of an airconditioning system to cool down particle cannons and they want a lot of energy.

[Edited on 4-8-2013 by Nubarus]
KingArthur
Commander
Commander

Post by KingArthur »

@DENNY. You're thinking of the CANNON RELAY SYSTEM, not the HEATSINK. the CRS Doubles the Barrels of Your Primary.

NUBARUS. Just Like MY SYSTEM that's for the AUX COOLER FAN, Not the HEATSINK. I'm talking about The HEATSINK ONLY. I Don't think the Hunk Of Metal Sitting UNDER your CPU, which is your HEATSINK, Has a PLUG Attached.

If you need A/C for the Cannon a simple TUBE, open to SPACE at BOTH ENDS, passing Near the CANNON would provide MORE than Enough "AIR CONDITIONING" While, Again, Being TOTALLY PASSIVE..

I still believe that the CANNON HEATSINK, A TOTALLY PASSIVE Piece of EQUIP, shouldn't Carry the "Power Core Reduced" PENALTY.

[Edited on 4-8-2013 by KingArthur]
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: I think this thread should be given the "Nerd Award" for the month of April. ;)
KingArthur
Commander
Commander

Post by KingArthur »

LMAO. Come On.....Without the "POWER CORE PENALTY" We'd be able to load (2) TWO OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT PIECES rather than just ONE.
-splosives-
Captain
Captain

Post by -splosives- »

From post: 160759, Topic: tid=10746, author=KingArthur wrote: NUBARUS. Just Like MY SYSTEM that's for the AUX COOLER FAN, Not the HEATSINK. I'm talking about The HEATSINK ONLY. I Don't think the Hunk Of Metal Sitting UNDER your CPU, which is your HEATSINK, Has a PLUG Attached.

If you need A/C for the Cannon a simple TUBE, open to SPACE at BOTH ENDS, passing Near the CANNON would provide MORE than Enough "AIR CONDITIONING" While, Again, Being TOTALLY PASSIVE..

I still believe that the CANNON HEATSINK, A TOTALLY PASSIVE Piece of EQUIP, shouldn't Carry the "Power Core Reduced" PENALTY.

[Edited on 4-8-2013 by KingArthur]
Nubarus is right. A passive cooler works with convection. Convection is a process where heat from one material (in this case metal) gets transferred to another material (in this case air). But since there is no air convection possible in space (there is no air to transfer the heat to) the passive heatsinks won't do much good. In order to get heat convection, another medium has to be pumped through the coolers. Pumping requires energy, so this is never passive.

I do believe there could be a way to use the heat of your cannons to power the cooler itself
For example, letting water turn to steam with the cannon's heat, using the steam to set an alternator in motion, which generates power for the pumps to lead more liquid to the barrels, which turn to steam again, and so on.
(I'm an engineer, I think about these things all the time :P)
SplosivesCorp: Bringing people closer to destruction.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

From post: 160728, Topic: tid=10746, author=KingArthur wrote:A "HEATSINK" Is a Piece of METAL that, by Virtue of it's Heat Conducting Properties, Cools your PRIMARIES. NO Energy Needed.
The heatsink obviously needs cooling which may be passive (stick the end out into the cold of space) or active so it acts like a fridge with a radiator . . . that you stick out into the cold of space or warm the inside of your ship with.
From post: 160728, Topic: tid=10746, author=KingArthur wrote:MAARS. Good Point, I DID Think of That, but I STILL BELIEVE the "CANNON HEATSINK" Operates Just as the HEATSINK on your CPU Does.
I think that it is more likely to active cooling than passive
From post: 160770, Topic: tid=10746, author=Marvin wrote::cool: I think this thread should be given the "Nerd Award" for the month of April. ;)
Yes please! :P

:)

[Edited on 8-4-2013 by DaveK]
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
ImageImage
-splosives-
Captain
Captain

Post by -splosives- »

From post: 160775, Topic: tid=10746, author=DaveK wrote:
From post: 160728, Topic: tid=10746, author=KingArthur wrote:A "HEATSINK" Is a Piece of METAL that, by Virtue of it's Heat Conducting Properties, Cools your PRIMARIES. NO Energy Needed.
(stick the end out into the cold of space)
Doesn't work. Space may be cold, but it's an excellent heat isolator.

Metal will cool faster in the desert than in open space.

[Edited on 4-8-2013 by -splosives-]
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

From post: 160776, Topic: tid=10746, author=-splosives- wrote:
From post: 160775, Topic: tid=10746, author=DaveK wrote:
(stick the end out into the cold of space)
Doesn't work. Space may be cold, but it's an excellent heat isolator.
A passive heatsink can work by radiation as well. There may not be conduction since their is nothing to conduct to, and may not be convection because there isn't any air to move but there will be radiation of thermal energy as ir from the hot cooling fins - otherwise sunshine wouldn't warm us!

ImageImage
-splosives-
Captain
Captain

Post by -splosives- »

Indeed, but a passive cooler doesn't help much with radiation. Your cannons will melt before all the heat gets radiated out.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

From post: 160774, Topic: tid=10746, author=-splosives- wrote:
I do believe there could be a way to use the heat of your cannons to power the cooler itself
For example, letting water turn to steam with the cannon's heat, using the steam to set an alternator in motion, which generates power for the pumps to lead more liquid to the barrels, which turn to steam again, and so on.
Sounds a lot like they finally cracked perpertual motion machines in the the future . . . (cannon + heatsink + cooler as a unit: cannon makes heat which heats the heatsink which boils water which turns a turbine which energy which operates the cooler . . . love it! :D

Will splosives corps be selling them?

ImageImage
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: We call that a "Rube Goldberg" machine. ;)
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

-splosives-
Captain
Captain

Post by -splosives- »

From post: 160779, Topic: tid=10746, author=DaveK wrote:
From post: 160774, Topic: tid=10746, author=-splosives- wrote:
Sounds a lot like they finally cracked perpertual motion machines in the the future . . . (cannon + heatsink + cooler as a unit: cannon makes heat which heats the heatsink which boils water which turns a turbine which energy which operates the cooler . . . love it! :D

Will splosives corps be selling them?

You still need energy to fire your weapon in the first place.
This is just a way to improve the energy conversion efficiency of your weapon systems.
The generated power might even be enough to partially power your cannons for the next shot.

Yes, SplosivesCorp will definitely start researching this new technology. We already patented it.
-splosives-
Captain
Captain

Post by -splosives- »

From post: 160781, Topic: tid=10746, author=Marvin wrote::cool: We call that a "Rube Goldberg" machine. ;)
These things are actually pretty standard in chemical engineering.
For example in a distillation, the distillate often times gets used to preheat the input stream by letting both streams run through a heat exchanger. It's called energy recycling.
Nubarus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Nubarus »

Apparently Inked doesn't understand that a vacuum is the perfect insulator and that it doesn't transfer heat in any way, this is also the reason why the space shuttle is liquid cooled rather then air cooled since there is no airflow in space.

In order to have passive airflow cooling you need an atmosphere and that buddy doesn't exist in the vacuum of space.

As for my CPU cooler, it's a massive block of copper with a 120mm fan on top to generate airflow because without the electric powered airflow my CPU will fry, therefor my CPU cooler and every CPU cooler I ever had in the past was not passive in any way.

[Edited on 4-8-2013 by Nubarus]
KingArthur
Commander
Commander

Post by KingArthur »

NUBARUS. You are SO WAY OVERBOARD ON THIS TOPIC. LMAO. A HEATSINK is a PIECE OF METAL, Simple as That. NO ENERGY REQUIRED, therefore NO "POWER CORE PENATLY" should be Applied.

Let's KEEP IT SIMPLE.

BTW. I'm NOT Your "Buddy".
Nubarus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Nubarus »

Funny you should say that, you where calling me buddy a lot when you just arrived in this game and had no idea how to fight.

You where all too happy when I tought you the basics of combat back then but it seems you forgot all about that eh?

And cleary you do have no idea what vacuum means so it's pointless to try and explain it to someone more dense then Iridium.
DennyMala
Captain
Captain

Post by DennyMala »

From post: 160759, Topic: tid=10746, author=KingArthur wrote:@DENNY. You're thinking of the CANNON RELAY SYSTEM, not the HEATSINK. the CRS Doubles the Barrels of Your Primary.
Right, I confused the two.
Best regards

[IM] DennyMala